good lawn mower battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotten a Duracell Ultra from Batteries Plus. They told me it was made by Deka/East Penn Mfg.

The brand name is immaterial, there are only 3 battery makers that distribute nationally. Look at the small type at the bottom of the label for something like "Mfg. and distributed by E.P.M.". E.P.M. is East Penn Manufacturing of Lyon Station, PA. IMO the best made batteries for the money.

One thing not mentioned is that the life of the battery is affected a whole lot by vibration. If the battery can flop around it will not last as long as one that is installed and held in place.
I vote for the WallyWorld batteries or equivalent as I have bought the name brands and they just don't last any longer than the low budget ones. The Die Hard cost more than twice as much as the Everlast (I think) and I don't expect it to last twice as long.
The second thing to do is at least once a month put a battery charger on the battery for an hour or so in the off season. If the battery is kept charged over the winter, it will last a lot longer.
tom

I think i just saw at Meijer they have a 90 day warranty on lawn batteries, most places are only 30 days. Now that it's been so long since I've been in there I can't remember batteries plus warranty.

Originally Posted By: grumpy
One thing not mentioned is that the life of the battery is affected a whole lot by vibration. If the battery can flop around it will not last as long as one that is installed and held in place.
I vote for the WallyWorld batteries or equivalent as I have bought the name brands and they just don't last any longer than the low budget ones. The Die Hard cost more than twice as much as the Everlast (I think) and I don't expect it to last twice as long.
The second thing to do is at least once a month put a battery charger on the battery for an hour or so in the off season. If the battery is kept charged over the winter, it will last a lot longer.
tom
I take meds to make me un-grumpy
smile.gif
I have 2 chargers, a Sears, 2,10 and 50 amp and a .5 amp wall wart that will keep a good battery at full float. The sit down's battery is a 3 yr old Lowes U-1 for under 30 $. I charge it the week before I intend to start it. Once I'm mowing weekly, it will run and start as needed

Also, consider this. Batteries are sold by a case spec. A cheap battery has less plates spread out in the same case. More space to vibrate in without shorting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grumpy
One thing not mentioned is that the life of the battery is affected a whole lot by vibration. If the battery can flop around it will not last as long as one that is installed and held in place. tom

One of the advantages of a sealed AGM battery is the plates are tightly wrapped in the fiberglass mat and reduce the vibration problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back