Air intake Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a K&N air filter in my vehicle. Turns out that it has been gunking up the throttle body. I'll clean that without a problem, but what is the best way to clean the air tube?

Thanks.

36.gif

If the tube is plastic then water and simplegreen will do. If its metal then carb cleaner sound be okay. Fix the problem at source and run a dryflow non oiled filter from AEM, Injen/Amsoil. Its gunking up because there is oil used for tack and its getting in the way of inward air and its dry to use the oil to hold the dirt/filtering incoming debris. If you cant find a dryflow filter replacement, get a pre-filter and or add a couple layers of fine mesh pantyhose to aid in filter. Might wanna oil it much less too. I have used Injens new blue dryflow intake filters and my throttle plate is spotless. If you got a bunch of gunk you might change your oil a bit sooner too.

MY OEMS have been badly gunked up at the intake plumbing (post hotwire metering) but it was PCV inlet CC vapours.

K&N can be OK, but you have to apply tack oil conservatively and let it dry before installing.
FYI
OEM Honda FIT 1.5 have an oiled spun multilayer polyester filter from the factory. I think my Yaris did too.

Dan, you got some good level-headed advice on how to run a K&N. Usually 47 people tell you they're junk. Truth is K&Ns are probably not the best choice for dry dusty climates. After you clean the gunk out if you notice any dust inside the intake tube next time you look you might consider some of the other choices mentioned. Your call if a bit more airflow is worth letting more dirt through as well.

Given that the largest restriction in the intake tract is the intake tract itself, I'd stop wasting money on performance drop-in filters. There is likely no such thing as an OEM making an air filter with less flow capacity than the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back