2010 Jeep Wrangler Powertrain Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Jeep Wrangler with transmission failure towed to dealership. 5yr/100k mile transferable warranty (2nd owner). Dealership states warranty out by 6 months from manufacture date. However, aren't warranties required to be calculated from in-service date? If so, how do I prove that as a 2nd owner (car dealership sale not private party)? Is this a legal requirement for warranty?

They offered to split the cost 60/40 but they're estimating $7100 total. Sounds slimy to me (but I repeat myself).

Thanks.

The dealer should be able to provide some details regarding the original delivery date to the first owner; you could also easily purchase/run a carfax on the car yourself.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
The dealer should be able to provide some details regarding the original delivery date to the first owner; you could also easily purchase/run a carfax on the car yourself.

This and if the dealership can't give you a detailed reason why it isn't covered i would contact the Better Business Bureau.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Highly likely on a 2010 that you are out by time.

+1

May depend of miles as well.

It hasn't passed mileage. The warranty booklet states

The Powertrain Limited Warranty lasts for up to
5 years or 100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever
occurs first, calculated from the start date of the
Basic Limited Warranty, as set forth in Section 2.1(E).

Section 2.1(E):
The Basic Limited Warranty begins on either of the
following dates, whichever is earlier:
• the date you take delivery of the vehicle; or
• the date when the vehicle was first put into
service — for example, as a dealer “demo” or as a
Chrysler company vehicle.

I know in Arizona our registration shows the date of the first time the vehicle was registered. That'll give you basically the purchase date if your registration has that date.

It is possible the 5 years are up. You have to find out the day the car was first put into service. Unfortunately if you're not the original owner only Chrysler knows that, and their word is going to be Gospel.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27

Yeah, a Carfax should tell you the original in-service date. If the first owner was also in NY like you are, you should be able to find out pretty easily from the DMV the original in-service date based on when the original title was applied for.

If you are six months outside of warranty based on the manufacturer date, I'd put it at 70:30 that you are past the original in-service date. But it is certainly worth investigating.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Is it an automatic? What was the problem?

A junk Chrysler 4 speed automatic, unfortunately. The 42RE used in those is an extremely unreliable transmission. They also suffer from very poor cooling from the factory. It considerably shortens life of an already poor transmission. The 5 speed auto that is connected to the Pentastar engine is a significant improvement.

I really like the 6 speed transmission in my GFs Sahara. It shifts pretty nice.

It seems to have some sort of mechanism to keep the vehicle from rolling backwards on an incline. Might be handy if you lived in a really hilly area...

Originally Posted By: OldSparks
I really like the 6 speed transmission in my GFs Sahara. It shifts pretty nice.

It seems to have some sort of mechanism to keep the vehicle from rolling backwards on an incline. Might be handy if you lived in a really hilly area...

Just holds the brakes down when you let off for a second - it's all electronic. Only real issue I had with the 6 speed was a few times I went from 5th to 4th when acellerating. 6th gear is down and to the right a bit. Not straight back.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
For $7100 you should find a shop to install a gently used Hemi w/ transmission from a wrecked
Ram/Cherokee/Durango.

I'm not sure which percentage the dealer agreed to pay but they already offers him partial payment so he's only out $4260 at worst, except it should be 100% covered!

Less than 100k automatic transmission failures are a joke, they should offer longer coverage.

Full transmission replacement on a 5 year old vehicle?

THAT is a pile of garbage...I would raise holy heck about this as loud as I could....

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: montero1
Is it an automatic? What was the problem?

A junk Chrysler 4 speed automatic, unfortunately. The 42RE used in those is an extremely unreliable transmission. They also suffer from very poor cooling from the factory. It considerably shortens life of an already poor transmission. The 5 speed auto that is connected to the Pentastar engine is a significant improvement.

Should be cheap to replace then. Just not at a dealer.

It should be simple enough to find out the first sale date. If worse comes to worse whoever handles vehicle titles should be able to give you that information.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Full transmission replacement on a 5 year old vehicle?

THAT is a pile of garbage...I would raise holy heck about this as loud as I could....

He's also not the original owner, the warranty may well be up, and since he's not the original owner there's no way to know what, if any maintenance was ever done or how the unit was used/abused before he took possession of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back