Tighter fuel efficiency standards for heavy trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank goodness we have the elites here to correct our evil ways.

Forget freedom of choice, we should let them decide what we drive. After all, they know best. So just keep your head down and don't get noticed, because they'll shout you down every time. Never mind what YOU think!

Seriously, our Gov collected RECORD REVENUES last year, they don't need more money...

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I could see if someone who lives in areas that receive a decent amount of snowstorms in the winter time. The ability to have more ground clearance and four wheel drive to get out in ober 12 inches or more if snow can be very important. My dad got out in the blizzard of 96 in 22 inches of snow in a Ford Ranger. I have to admit that was impressive given that wasn't a very high off the ground truck. He was able to get out and get supplies for himself and his neighbors has well. So if someone lives in the northeast, West Virginia, near the Great Lakes, and many areas in or near the Rockies. Even in the plains states could well be needed as well due to storms there at times as well.
Any more than 8 inches of snow and I cannot get out. Here in SE Va its not all too often that we see ten inches or more in one storm. But in 2010 day after Christmas we had over 13 inches at the hospital I work at and 10 at home. I made it out in a Pontiac Sunfire and Ford Fusion. But it was tough though
smile.gif

In Colorado most of accidents when it starts to snow involve pick-up trucks. Very light rear end, for towing good suspension, for slick roads horrible one, and drivers that think that the fact that they drive pick up truck should mean something to the weather, but weather for whatever reason is not cooperating.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Forget freedom of choice, we should let them decide what we drive. After all, they know best. So just keep your head down and don't get noticed, because they'll shout you down every time. Never mind what YOU think!

Seriously, our Gov collected RECORD REVENUES last year, they don't need more money...

Record revenues and needed revenues are two different things. If we did not put two wars on credit card, things might be different.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Record revenues and needed revenues are two different things. If we did not put two wars on credit card, things might be different.

War is expensive. Just think how much more the American people would have if all that money got spent at home.
But the war machine keeps on steam rolling. When war becomes a countries only form of income there are enemies everywhere.
And all need fighting.
I wonder what uniting tragedy will face the American people next.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

War is expensive. Just think how much more the American people would have if all that money got spent at home.
But the war machine keeps on steam rolling. When war becomes a countries only form of income there are enemies everywhere.
And all need fighting.
I wonder what uniting tragedy will face the American people next.

Exactly, while prudes are talking about those on welfare, Lockheed-Martin got F-35 program without standard competition. 327 billion dollars later, we have something that looks like plane, turns like MIG-21, and will cost arm and leg. It is designed to be Cold Warrior while we are fighting goat f.....s.
Boeing sold more C-17 to Air Force then we needed, like 40% more, etc, etc.
Dwight Eisenhower said that one of the greatest challenges to the U.S. democracy is military-industrial complex, but for many, someone on welfare is much bigger threat to the U.S. then Lockheed-Martin or Grumman.

Those two wars were a drop in the bucket compared to what the feds spend on entitlement programs...

Originally Posted By: grampi

Those two wars were a drop in the bucket compared to what the feds spend on entitlement programs...

Yeah right....
The biggest threat to the U.S.: entitlement programs, modern healthcare system, affordable education. God forbid to improve K-12 education, people might start thinking.

I know, that tired old "Bush did it" line.

Only someone who is brain dead could possibly think that MORE money spent by Big Gov would benefit anyone but political cronies and insiders. They collected 3.3 TRILLION! That's a lot of money. And by some accounts up to 40% wasted. Incredible numbers.

The educational system here is totally corrupted, so don't expect smarter graduates anytime soon in the US. I have several direct relatives who were involved in it for decades. County Superintendent, Principal, Teachers, and School Therapist. ALL will tell you of ridiculous excesses, union abuses, and huge waste. And that is just in one state. This represents just one small part of our budget to operate our country. There are too many more examples to list.

I say we have a spending problem, not a lack of funds. Let the Gov do just like you or I when we have more expenses than income. Cut back...

My original point? No towing, no farming, buying it bcs it is a truck? Yes, very stupid.

Two can play at your game.

Why did you buy the Tiguan and the CC? Tiguan is nothing more than a tarted up Golf that is heavy and not fuel efficient. How dare you waste our precious resources?

The CC is not better. You could've just as well bought the basic Jetta and not waste our resources on luxurious cabin, sound insulation and other gadgets that CC has, that only add to weight and decrease the fuel economy.

Again, how dare you waste our resources like that?

Originally Posted By: grampi

Care to share the numbers with us for the wars and each entitlement program?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
My original point? No towing, no farming, buying it bcs it is a truck? Yes, very stupid.

Two can play at your game.

Why did you buy the Tiguan and the CC? Tiguan is nothing more than a tarted up Golf that is heavy and not fuel efficient. How dare you waste our precious resources?

The CC is not better. You could've just as well bought the basic Jetta and not waste our resources on luxurious cabin, sound insulation and other gadgets that CC has, that only add to weight and decrease the fuel economy.

Again, how dare you waste our resources like that?

Already explained, you could pay attention to all posts. By the way CC has much better MPG then most of cars in its class.
Why driving car at all, bike could do?

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
https://www.nationalpriorities.org/cost-of/

cry.gif

What about lives? American, Iraqi?
What about healthcare costs of wounded soldiers?
Not to mention that web site could be developed in basement of my 16y old neighbor.

Sorry it doesn't meet your strange web-development standards. I didn't post it with any clear agenda, just a source as someone requested. Care to further the conversation, or just drag everyone down?

cry.gif

Not to mention that web site could be developed in basement of my 16y old neighbor.

Sorry it doesn't meet your strange web-development standards. I didn't post it with any clear agenda, just a source as someone requested. Care to further the conversation, or just drag everyone down?

Agreed. Thanks for posting.

I'm familiar with the numbers. Just wondering if those who make the claims are, and to understand which entitlements they do and don't like.

And this started as a post about fuel efficiency standards for heavy trucks. Geez!

Last edited:
United States Statistical Abstract.. These numbers come from your government every year. And has been done so for a long time.

cry.gif

That info wasn't asked for...and don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back