Or: How I learned to stop worrying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VR6

It finally happened. I finished changing the Passat's oil at 35k and thought "What have I become?" I looked at the empty case of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 ordered from Amazon for $50... my goodness. It even has that darn prancing horse on the box. *shudder*

Is it really worth it??? Changing a 6 qt sump every 5k with something equivalent in cost to unicorn tears?

No more. I'm going to drink the koolaid. It's Mobil 1 0w40 and 10k changes from now on. The lure of $32 oil from Walmart is too much to resist. And, surely, VW did their homework blessing a 10k OCI right? Right?!?!?

What say you Best & Brightest... will my beloved VR6 last the rest of my days? More importantly, will I be able to sleep at night?

Overly dramatized BITOG post over.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: VR6
More importantly, will I be able to sleep at night?

Only you can answer that, my friend.

Some people's eyelids won't stay shut until they buy the most expensive stuff out there and pour it down the fill hole. But first they'll make a million posts about it on BITOG.
smile.gif

BTW, I buy my Pennzoil Euro when it's on sale, so it ends up costing less than M1 0w-40.
smile.gif

I hate to not go along with you, but if I shelled out the cash for a '12 Passat VR6, I'd have no problem shelling out for a good oil every 5k. That is not a cheap car, at least not up here.

Yeah, you can go 10k on a VW approved oil, but I think the VR6 engine is a wee bit harder on oil that something like the 2.5 I-5, and I wouldn't take a chance with it...I don't think you were being obssesive, just prudent.

That's just me.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Some people's eyelids won't stay shut until they buy the most expensive stuff out there and pour it down the fill hole. But first they'll make a million posts about it on BITOG.
smile.gif

Well played, Sir!
grin.gif

Is your VR 2.8 or 2.9? And 12 or 24v?

I'd be happy to use 0w40 in a VR and 10k would probably be fine but maybe try 7.5 for a could of intervals, see how it goes and extend from there.

addyguy, I totally agree with you. I'm looking for enablers (that's why we're all here on BITOG to begin with, right?
wink.gif
).

Honestly, my only hangup is the 10k interval. Both M1 Euro and PP Euro are robust oils... I'd run either one with confidence. I may meet myself somewhere in the middle and run the less expensive M1 for 5k.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Is your VR 2.8 or 2.9?

I believe it's the 3.6 24v.

Aah, cross-pond badging differences.. It's the R36 over here.

10k on DI might be a bit risky with all your emissions bits intact. Two ways to skin that particular cat.

Is your VR 2.8 or 2.9? And 12 or 24v?

I'd be happy to use 0w40 in a VR and 10k would probably be fine but maybe try 7.5 for a could of intervals, see how it goes and extend from there.

Olas, Quattro Pete is correct. 3.6L 24V. VW insists upon referring to it in all literature as a "V6"... I just can't bring myself to do it!

I'd even go 7.5k as a compromise, that would work fine.

I just think at 10k it 'could' get dicey...only way to know for sure is to start doing UOA's.

Honestly, my only hangup is the 10k interval.

In all seriousness now, I'd adjust the OCI based on your driving patterns. If it's primarily hwy driving and no short tripping, I'd be comfortable with 10K. But if it's anything that resembles severe service, I'd rethink it. My 530i gets short tripped a lot, and hence I don't do anywhere close to 10K OCI.

smile.gif

BTW, I buy my Pennzoil Euro when it's on sale, so it ends up costing less than M1 0w-40.
smile.gif

I bought 2 M1 0W40 jugs at Walmart for $22.xx/jug, with $10 rebate limit 2 my cost is $12/jug. Your Pennzoil Euro costs less than $2.50/qt ?

It finally happened. I finished changing the Passat's oil at 35k and thought "What have I become?" I looked at the empty case of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 ordered from Amazon for $50... my goodness. It even has that darn prancing horse on the box. *shudder*

Is it really worth it??? Changing a 6 qt sump every 5k with something equivalent in cost to unicorn tears?

No more. I'm going to drink the koolaid. It's Mobil 1 0w40 and 10k changes from now on. The lure of $32 oil from Walmart is too much to resist. And, surely, VW did their homework blessing a 10k OCI right? Right?!?!?

What say you Best & Brightest... will my beloved VR6 last the rest of my days? More importantly, will I be able to sleep at night?

Overly dramatized BITOG post over.
wink.gif

A single UOA will help you narrow down your OCI range, even more so if you use the same oil every time. You don't even have to change the oil when you take the sample.

Honestly, my only hangup is the 10k interval.

In all seriousness now, I'd adjust the OCI based on your driving patterns. If it's primarily hwy driving and no short tripping, I'd be comfortable with 10K. But if it's anything that resembles severe service, I'd rethink it. My 530i gets short tripped a lot, and hence I don't do anywhere close to 10K OCI.

My first sample from this vehicle is on its way to Blackstone now. Fuel dilution is a concern with this particular lump. I'll see how it comes back and go from there.

Why not Castrol euro formula Ow40 at WalMart for around $23 on sale or a bit more not on sale?

I did a $44 PP ultra euro change at 5k not worth it with such a short oci. So I bought 4jugs of the Castrol this spring for 5k oci.

2009 VW 2.0 tsi.

Is your VR 2.8 or 2.9?

10k on DI might be a bit risky with all your emissions bits intact. Two ways to skin that particular cat.

Olas, the euro-spec R36 is a dream of mine. Our NMS Passat is a far cry from that machine. But, we have to take what we can get in the land of cup holders.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gerkin85
Why not Castrol euro formula Ow40 at WalMart for around $23 on sale or a bit more not on sale?

I did a $44 PP ultra euro change at 5k not worth it with such a short oci. So I bought 4jugs of the Castrol this spring for 5k oci.

2009 VW 2.0 tsi.

For whatever reason my local Wal-Mart refuses to stock the Castrol 0w40. It's good stuff... just unavailable to me.

Is your VR 2.8 or 2.9?

Olas, the euro-spec R36 is a dream of mine. Our NMS Passat is a far cry from that machine. But, we have to take what we can get in the land of cup holders.
smile.gif

Is the engine an option in all the passats? Imagine a base model syncro with cloth seats and windy windows and that engine! You're only really cams & map away from being even better still (by my personal definition) have you made enquiries with APR or HPA re; boost?

[/quote]

Is the engine an option in all the passats? Imagine a base model syncro with cloth seats and windy windows and that engine! You're only really cams & map away from being even better still (by my personal definition) have you made enquiries with APR or HPA re; boost? [/quote]

In MY2012 the 3.6 was optional in the SE and SEL trim levels. Only the base S model didn't offer it. It comes hooked to the DSG flappy-paddle by default. APR offers an ECU tune that has me interested... but at this point it needs to remain a bulletproof daily driver. I've heard tales of boosted 3.6's knackering the DSG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back