VW transmission reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
My GF has a 2014 VW Jetta SE with the 1.8 TSI and the 6 speed auto. I am pretty unfamiliar with VW's but am trying to learn more and more about them. Does anybody know who makes this unit? I read some of the older VW's had AISIN transmissions and I have heard good things about AISIN, but for all I know this unit could be VW designed and built. It isn't the smoothest unit, although it just had a software upgrade that made it smoother from a stop. Something else I am curious about, it is a sealed transmission? If so, can the fluid still be changed even if its sealed? I want to take good care of it so it will be more reliable long term. Any comments or tips about this car are appreciated, TIA!

Do they still use metal mesh screen filter? I'd do a fluid change before 100k miles, anyway. Just take the pan down and reverse flush the filter or better yet, change it also.

Last edited:
The VW DSG has a fluid maintenance interval specificed in the manual, or ask the dealer.

Not a transmission I'd want to skimp on the maintenance, YMMV.

Not related to your car question, I have a 2004 Passat with the 1.8T and the ZF Tiptronic, it has been just fine. Yes, I do change the fluid on that 'sealed-for-life' transmission despite VW assurances of no need.
laugh.gif

The DSG needs service every 40k miles, about $350-$400 at the dealer. I don't think it's something easy to do at home, I had mine done last July.

They are strange transmissions, I guess they're basically manual transmissions that shift automatically as far as mechanics are.

2004 was the first year for DSG transmissions and the only vehicle that had them was the 2004 Beetle TDI. I wish it were a stick shift as it shifts erratically and is like a mechanical bull in traffic, but these newer ones are much much smoother, still quirky though.

You would think they would finally sort out the flywheels by this point but I've heard of them failing on newer ones too, though they're probably better.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The DSG needs service every 40k miles, about $350-$400 at the dealer. I don't think it's something easy to do at home, I had mine done last July.

They are strange transmissions, I guess they're basically manual transmissions that shift automatically as far as mechanics are.

2004 was the first year for DSG transmissions and the only vehicle that had them was the 2004 Beetle TDI. I wish it were a stick shift as it shifts erratically and is like a mechanical bull in traffic, but these newer ones are much much smoother, still quirky though.

You would think they would finally sort out the flywheels by this point but I've heard of them failing on newer ones too, though they're probably better.

This is NOT the DSG. Its the regular 6 speed auto.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

This is NOT the DSG. Its the regular 6 speed auto.
OOOOOOH, I Googled to see what it has and a Motor Trend article on this car came up and they were talking about the transmission and mentioned the DSG, with the way it was worded I assumed that's what it had. They worded it strangely now that I re-read it.

Check out vwvortex forums. Last I knew they were still using Aisin transmissions. Not a whole lot to mention. Some 09G model 6 speedS have valve body issues. VW said it was lifetime fluid but in 2010 sent out a letter indicating a 40k service interval, now it should be 50k as in your manual. I doubt there are many changes from my 09 Passat 6 speed O9G revision and your gfs car.

transmission pan should be able to be dropped and filter changed. Easier than dsg service and less expensive if you use Aisin fluid or similar instead of VW.

it is generally trouble free if you stick to service intervals.

I had a 2009 Rabbit with the Aisin 6-speed. It was absolutely bulletproof. Get the fluid and filter changed per the factory recommended interval and enjoy!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
V.WO.A. is not known for reliability in general.

But VWAG are renowned for reliability. More to do with the workers on the production line than the brand.

Originally Posted By: Olas

But VWAG are renowned for reliability.

Compared to Fiat or Yugo, maybe.
smile.gif

Different country, different views.

On this side of the pond, different coporate culture ruling over the dealers, and different training used at the dealrs for those who service the cars. Proabaly a different set of buyers also.

I'll have to check out the owners manual again. Last time I couldn't find an atf change interval.

I'll have to check out the owners manual again. Last time I couldn't find an atf change interval.

There probably isn't any interval as the ATF is considered a lifetime fluid in the traditional VW slushbox. I think only DSG and CVT have set fluid change intervals.

Granted, if you want your transmission to last past the so called lifetime interval, you might want to consider changing the fluid. I'm thinking every 50K miles maybe? I haven't yet decided what to do about it on wife's Q5, but I have some time to think it over. I'll also want to see how long she decides to keep it.

I think culture/country has something to do with. When I lived in Switzerland I used to read the reliability ratings of cars there and the same cars didn't display the same reliability in the U.S.

It would surprise me at all if VWs were more reliable in Europe. They were in the 90s.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

There probably isn't any interval as the ATF is considered a lifetime fluid in the traditional VW slushbox. I think only DSG and CVT have set fluid change intervals.

Granted, if you want your transmission to last past the so called lifetime interval, you might want to consider changing the fluid. I'm thinking every 50K miles maybe? I haven't yet decided what to do about it on wife's Q5, but I have some time to think it over. I'll also want to see how long she decides to keep it.

The Aisin 6sp in my Rabbit didn't specify in the manual either. VW sent a chart to dealers with recommendations. My 2009 Rabbit (MKV Golf) went from lifetime to 40k and then finally to 50k per VW. I continued on the 40k schedule. If I remember the service was $200-ish to drop the pan, replace the filter and fluid. Never gave me an issue.

Originally Posted By: Olas

But VWAG are renowned for reliability.

Compared to Fiat or Yugo, maybe.
smile.gif

I have owned three VW's. A 2009 Rabbit, a 2011 Golf TDI, and a 2012 Passat. Out of all three, the ONLY issue I have ever had was a broken visor clip on the Passat. Nothing else. Not one gremlin, rattle, or niggle.

VW is a bit of an enthusiasts brand here. A low volume one at that. Enthusiasts love to complain on forums and will typically make a much larger mountain out of a molehill than a CamCord driver. Every mass-produced vehicle has issues. Even the JD Power sacred cows of Lexus and Porsche. They all have faults.

Take a low volume German car, engineered to a more complicated standard, add a shoddy dealer network, sprinkle with enthusiast drivers... and voila! Everyone thinks every VW ever made will immediately puke out window regulators and ignition coils as soon as you get it home.

This has not been my experience.

Originally Posted By: VR6

I hear you. My '01 A4 was pretty reliable as well. But I may have just been lucky. I do see a lot of other owners not being as lucky.

Originally Posted By: VR6

I hear you. My '01 A4 was pretty reliable as well. But I may have just been lucky. I do see a lot of other owners not being as lucky.

I've seen it too. I try and remember "perfect is boring." If I wanted a beige appliance to take me to and fro... I'd head to my nearest Toyota dealer, find the Corolla row, close my eyes and point to one. But I'd rather develop a bond with my car. If the Mrs was a Stepford Wife I'd be bored!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back