Best vw502 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah sorry. I was working off memory. The full-SAPS EF something or other.

Please understand though that I don't do any used oil analysis [censored]. Don't have time or money to waste and I do either 5k oil changes or 6 months. With the S it is usually every 12 months now since I was only putting 1 - 2k miles on it a year but my last oil change was more like 16 months. I am driving it more so depending on mileage I may go back to 6 months or just do the full year. We'll see. My A4 I drive pretty much every day so I usually hit 5k within 6 months anyways. Plus Audi changed the recommended OCI from 10k to 5k for the 1.8t engine.

Last edited:
Quattro Pete,

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Since you asked for opinions, to me definition of best =

a) meets MB 229.5 spec (which is more stringent than VW 502.00 spec)

[...]

Can you please elaborate on MB 229.5 spec? I wonder if there are any documents or research studies which indicate the acceptance criteria for MB 229.5 specification, how the certificate is done, etc?

I hear on this forum (and some other forums as well) that MB 229.5 is the most strict specification, but so far I did not see any research studies (despite UOA's) on this spec. Of course, one may use Lubrizol Relative Performance Tool at https://www.lubrizol.com/apps/relperftool/pc.html but this tool simply shows relative differences between specs and it does not indicate:

- requirements of the spec or acceptence criteria (in this case MB 229.5)
- use cases (how many km/mi for the OCI)
- typical wear indicators based on different style of driving

It would nice to have this info for every spec on this web-site main page
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Quattro Pete,

[...]

Can you please elaborate on MB 229.5 spec? I wonder if there are any documents or research studies which indicate the acceptance criteria for MB 229.5 specification, how the certificate is done, etc?

I hear on this forum (and some other forums as well) that MB 229.5 is the most strict specification, but so far I did not see any research studies (despite UOA's) on this spec. Of course, one may use Lubrizol Relative Performance Tool at https://www.lubrizol.com/apps/relperftool/pc.html but this tool simply shows relative differences between specs and it does not indicate:

smile.gif

-Use cases: Depends on the vehicle, not oil!
I believe QP has more details about this spec, but generally, spec is accepted as "best" due to the NOACK requirements, deposit requirements etc. I think you can use Lubrizol, but YOU need to compare to other specs or oils.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Quattro Pete,

[...]

smile.gif

-Use cases: Depends on the vehicle, not oil!
I believe QP has more details about this spec, but generally, spec is accepted as "best" due to the NOACK requirements, deposit requirements etc. I think you can use Lubrizol, but YOU need to compare to other specs or oils.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
The max 10% noack is something people like about MB 229.5 and 229.51 oils.

Also the KO90 shear (rather than KO30 of API) requires strong, shear resistant VIIs

For MB 229.5, VW502, etc, details are in https://www.aftonchemical.com/Lists/Brochure/Attachments/40/Specification_Handbook.pdf
and if you want to dig deeper, google each individual test by ASTM spec number or other identifying spec info.

It all depends on what the Oil Life Monitor computer algorithm on the particular vehicle says. It varies by ambient temperatures, trip length, dusty air, etc.

See ExMachina's response.

Hope you guys don't mind me chiming in. Didn't want to start a new thread, when it basically touched the same basis. Quick cliffs, then my inquiry:

-built engine while back
-1.8t VAG block
-decent sized turbo (5152)
-oil pump blew
-rebuilding once again (Amsoil assembly lube and Brad Penn break in oil)
-got new job
-car won't see nearly as many miles now
-figured one oil change a year now
-can switch back to Amsoil now, since I can afford it again
-used to run nothing but Amsoil years back
-want to run Amsoil once again

Up in the air on what Amsoil oil to run. Can you guys help me out and recommend which one to use (will be used with OEM Mann flters)? All emission stuff is modified or completely removed. So, no worries about low SAPS. Right now I'm up in the air between these two, unless you guys can suggest another. Thanks!

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=HDDQT-EA

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=EFMQT-EA (what I used to run)

Personal opinion, 5w40 full saps. Great oil from what I've seen. The hdd diesel is great as well but I think the full saps would be better. You could also run rotella t6.

Been running Rotalla T6 for the last couple years now. Only reason was it was cost efficient due to a longer commute, when I used to run Amsoil prior. But since I will only be having to change my motor oil once a year now since my new job, figured I can spoil my car a bit.

b) is readily available
c) doesn't cost an arm and a leg

M1 0w-40, Edge 0w-40, and PPE 5w-40 all meet the above criteria. I consider them all 'best' and equivalent to each other.

QP Knows his stuff....^^^^^^^ is the best advice you will find on this forum. Its not about the oil, there is no best, just what is best for YOUR application. As long as it is OEM approved, this case VW 502 you are golden. Dont worry about this or that. Just look for the SPEC as QP stated.

Jeff

Last edited:
If that response was for me, I read it prior and was sound advice. My situation differs. I would only require one oil change a year, so I can spend a little more coin on oil. Hence, the choices I have come to of Amsoil Euro 5w40 (full SAPS) or Amsoil HDEO 5w30.

Originally Posted By: Seerlah
If that response was for me, I read it prior and was sound advice. My situation differs. I would only require one oil change a year, so I can spend a little more coin on oil. Hence, the choices I have come to of Amsoil Euro 5w40 (full SAPS) or Amsoil HDEO 5w30.

What exactly do you think you're getting for that "little more coin"? The way I see it, you're getting oil that doesn't even carry any official mfg approvals.

Not sure why a MB spec (on MB hardware) is being seen as more important than a VW spec (on VW hardware).

VW 502 requires all ACEA tests plus the VW T4 test. MB229,5 is no more challenging from a hardware point of view.

Sure MB229.5 rather thasn MB229.3 suggests a better NOACK but this should be a bonus factor, the key bit is an oil with VW 502.

The best oil? 5W-40 with A3/B4(2012), Porsche A40 and VW 502. Alternatively a 5W-40 C3 VW 502 / 505 01 if your are confident with the fuel quality

bobbydavro,

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro

The best oil? 5W-40 with A3/B4(2012), Porsche A40 and VW 502. Alternatively a 5W-40 C3 VW 502 / 505 01 if your are confident with the fuel quality

Why 5W-40 and not 5W-30? I.e., given the same specs: (A3/B4), Porsche A40 and VW 502 what will be better in 5W-40 compared in 5W-30?

Update: as mentioned further, the specs will not be the same, so the above phraze should be read as:

Why 5W-40 and not 5W-30? I.e., given the same specs: (A3/B4), MB 229.5 and VW 502 what will be better in 5W-40 compared in 5W-30?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back