14 Mustang GT trackpack.....oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Redlinez
Yesterday was the first time I encountered Liqui Moly oil ever. I have seen their banner at a VW shop I know of, but didn't know what it was. A local Napa store sells it. I know it's made in Germany, but I didn't see any API or other approvals on it.

Yes, many NAPA store carry it in stock, and they make a very good, long life 0W-40, and a BMW M3 spec 10W-60 among many other weights/variants, but if you are 'going off of the warranty reservation' on oil weight, I would stick to M1 0W-40, or if going WAY off, maybe Red Line's 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Do you have a link to Ford's list?

I'm not sure there is one. I've never seen it. There probably is. But Mobil's verbiage is along the lines of AMSOIL's:

=====
Mobil 1 5W-20 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:

API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C945-A

Mobil 1 5W-20 has the following builder approvals:

General Motors Service Fill dexos1™ (license number GB1C0927015)
======

What does it all mean!?!

robert

I was Googling 5W50's one time and I came across a Mustang forum. Someone there did back to back UOA's on MC and Edge 5W50's and the Edge came out ahead.

I think if I had a brand new Track Pack Mustang,I would use either Edge or Amsoil 5W50. Something tells me the Amsoil can be had cheaper because those completely stupid "oil change specials" at the parts chains only allow 5 quarts of oil. That's another reason I hate those stores and only buy from Walmart. Why the [censored] can't those stores simply put "the oil" on sale instead of their dumb oil change specials? Don't many cars now take more than 5 quarts?

Talk to Pablo here,I buy all my Amsoil from him,he'll take care of you.

If really concerned about warranty issues, I'd accept the "meets.." verbiage, over the "recommended for..."

If you're really really concerned about your warranty you better not be beating on it at the track. I imagine you have a better chance of having your warranty voided that way vs because you're running M1 0w-40 etc.

I own a non-track pack 14 GT and everything I have read in the almost two years I've owned my car has said internally, the two engines are exactly the same. I have also read that the tune is slightly different for the track pack cars.

If it was my car and if you care about the warranty, I would use what Ford recommends. My experience with Ford and warranty issues has been a mixed bag and not all very positive. My experience has been that if Ford can somehow blame an issue on the owner, they will do it.

This is why I'm staying with the 5W-20 Motorcraft oil in my car during the warranty period even though there are other oils that meet the Ford specs that are probably better than Motorcraft.

Wayne

I've been using Mobil 1 5W50 in my 2007 GT500 for years. It's not tested to comply with the Ford 5W50 spec, but it's an API SN oil from a good source. I can buy it locally at NAPA on sale for less than $6 per quart.

Hello BITOG community. I was wondering what you guys thought about the coyotes and the bbq tick. I have seen scattered reports of 5w30 oils stopping the ticking that occurs after the oil change for up to 3000 miles then goes away, and comes back.

Reason I ask is because I just had my engine replaced. Brought it in for the snapping noise it would do at idle and with load after changing the oil. They found a bunch of damage, and replaced the long block. While the old engine was ticking I tried a lot of different oils --all 5w20--and some quieted the engine more than others. Of all, the redline 5w20 worked the best, Mobil 1 synthetic, motorcraft blend, and amsoil all worked about the same.

My new long block developed the same [censored] tick after its first oil change. Well, it got worse after the first oil change. I heard it starting around 300 miles on the engine life. I broke the engine in by the book, and after 700 miles it quieted up. I chalked it up to break-in.

Did BITOG ever reach any concensus on this? I've got 1200 miles on the motorcraft 5w20 they put in (I asked the dealer to prime the filter, and brought it to the dealer to avoid Ford trying to blame me if the ticking came back. Dealership agrees it's not normal, but if nothing comes out of this I'll run the oil that'll do the best to keep the noise down, because it can't be good for the motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GffHXiDR2uM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSmLIXhX7mg

I appreciate any help, thanks.

Last edited:
I have a 2013 5.0 and have no "Tick" yet after 17,000+ miles most of them run on Motorcraft 5w20. I just recently switched from MC 5w20 to M1 5w30.

I have looked into this 5.0 tick issue extensively and frankly it is a strange one. It effects both Mustang and F-150 owners. In many cases it's not a motor issue and its related to the AC but in others it's a major motor issue. There is some evidence that 5.0 motors that tend to drink some oil durring a 5,000 mile oil change interval have had less issues then owners who's motors use no oil. Then there are many others who insist that the 5w20 weight oil is what is causing all the problems and guys who run 5w30 or track pack guys who run 5w50 have little or no issues? I have not found any consistent factor for the issue and when people ask Ford about the "Tick" issue they say nothing about it. I will say that it seems to me Ford is replacing short blocks and other engine components much more then I would say they expected. I really think Ford knows what the problem is by now but like I said it seems like they have no interest in telling the public.

Yea. Neither engine drank any oil, or ever has. I had the tick on my old engine, got the long block replaced, and the new engine started making it before I even changed the oil, and got really bad after I got it changed. I am in utter disbelief. I am going to try to get the dealer to do the AC pulley tsb, but I really don't think it's the problem.

This is right after its first oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Coyote5_0
Yea. Neither engine drank any oil, or ever has. I had the tick on my old engine, got the long block replaced, and the new engine started making it before I even changed the oil, and got really bad after I got it changed. I am in utter disbelief. I am going to try to get the dealer to do the AC pulley tsb, but I really don't think it's the problem.

This is right after its first oil change.

See if the dealer will use a thicker oil.

If this engine when speced with extra cooling capacity requires a 5w50. Then running a 5w20 without the additional capacity is just supreme stupidity on Ford's part.

If it were mine nothing lighter than a xw40 would be going in it.

Yea I asked, all the dealerships I've talked to parrot the paramount importance of 5w20 oil. I will continue counseling with them to find a fix but now it's the the point that the sound is difficult to replicate; need to get the oil changed again to demonstrate it.

My 5.0 was drinking about a quart every 3,000 on MC 5w20 so with many saying to switch to 5w30 I made the switch on last oil change to Mobil 1 5w30 at around 16,000 mi.

Some observations I have noticed going to M1 5w30.. The motor seems quieter other then that it runs the same. I did notice it runs cooler now the oil temp digital needle gauge does not go up as high unless I really beat on it and it's hot out. Also the cylindar head temp gauge has been running an average of 10 degree cooler since the switch. I have not had to add any oil yet in 1,650 miles.

Nothing against 5w20 oil I use it in several cars we have at my business but frankly I think that 5w20 is not the best for the 5.0 Coyote. (Just my opinion)

Thanks for your input, Camprunner. More empirical evidence is helpful in making the decision. I had seen a post someone with an oil pressure gauge said the oil pressure with 5w30 was all within spec, and again, with no mechanical differences between the track pack engine and the regular GT engine, there's no reason to see it being problematic. The ambient temperatures in California this time of year are also really hot, so everything will be running hotter from that.

If Ford's decision is that this is normal:

and they will help no more, I may run 5w30, but for the moment I need my warranty.

I listened to your video and that tick is just so odd. I don't have it on mine but I listen for it every time I drive I often feel it's a mater of time before it rears its ugly head who knows I guess? I'm with you on sticking with the 5w20 oil under warranty if I had the tick I would do the same. I did not change oil weight on my car until after I added a performance tune to my 5.0 and figured my engine warranty was gone at that point (completely different topic on if warranty is void or not from tune topic for another day) anyway after tune I switched oil weight. But if I had the "BBQ Ignighter tick" I would stick with the 5w20.

Originally Posted By: 3311
Are the 5w50 speces track engines suffering from the same issue?

That's a great question and so far in my research not as many 5.0's are effected with the Track Pack. Although I was just reading reading about a failed TP car the other day there still seems to be less affected.

Thanks for your input, Camprunner. More empirical evidence is helpful in making the decision. I had seen a post someone with an oil pressure gauge said the oil pressure with 5w30 was all within spec, and again, with no mechanical differences between the track pack engine and the regular GT engine, there's no reason to see it being problematic. The ambient temperatures in California this time of year are also really hot, so everything will be running hotter from that.

and they will help no more, I may run 5w30, but for the moment I need my warranty.

I listened to the video and I think the engine sounds great! Maybe my ears just can't detect any strange noises or I just don't know what I'm listening for. One question though,why did that brand new Mustang need a new engine?

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I listened to your video and that tick is just so odd. I don't have it on mine but I listen for it every time I drive I often feel it's a mater of time before it rears its ugly head who knows I guess? I'm with you on sticking with the 5w20 oil under warranty if I had the tick I would do the same. I did not change oil weight on my car until after I added a performance tune to my 5.0 and figured my engine warranty was gone at that point (completely different topic on if warranty is void or not from tune topic for another day) anyway after tune I switched oil weight. But if I had the "BBQ Ignighter tick" I would stick with the 5w20.

It would be more consolation if I weren't so alone in seeking resolution for this. I left the car stock because long ago I modded my old car to high heaven and when the oil pump failed and took out the engine It cost me dearly. I haven't driven or ridden in a car with a tune or mods, and while I agree this thing stock isn't quite quick enough (old car was 390 hp and 2850 pounds, this is 420 hp and 3650 pounds), I am certainly glad I kept the warranty. When my warranty expires, then I may tune the car, do my best to ignore the ticking, and put some redline 5w30 in there.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I listened to the video and I think the engine sounds great! Maybe my ears just can't detect any strange noises or I just don't know what I'm listening for. One question though,why did that brand new Mustang need a new engine?

The speakers you use make a big difference in whether you can hear the ticking. Try listening to it on your phone, anything with less bass usually makes it stick out more.

This is the old engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSTMuIfQGKY

Same problem. Started running rougher and rougher. Finally found a dealership that would look into it, they found a bunch of damage/failed specs and replaced the longblock.

I know a lot of these cars get the bbq tick, but this is not normal. I ask every 5.0 owner I see and have never met someone with the problem. You can imagine after 9 months of research and trying to find a dealer to look into it, which dealer tried to blow me off at first, that I felt elated. Then within 300 miles the new engine started making the same noises minus the snapping at idle. When I got the first oil change it came back just like the old engine. Maybe the damage was incidental, I don't know. Maybe running 5w20 oil in 110 degree summers is stressing.

I have seen plenty of people posting their track packs get the problem, and just as many saying that the switch to synthetic oil from the blend causes it, but my experience on the latter suggests no relation. I tried redline 5w20 on the old engine, and the problem occurred much less, and went away maybe 100 miles sooner, but it didn't go away.

The old engine this would stop at around 850-900 miles after the oil change. New engine's still doing it at 1500 miles on the oil, just not enough that I can demonstrate it. The engine has 3000 miles on it. I changed the oil at 1500 as per the advice of the service adviser at my dealership. Popular mechanics recommends changing the oil at something like 20 miles on a new engine; changing the oil isn't bad for your car, so this is baffling.

Last edited:
Are you sure you got a new engine. It is hard to believe that you would get two in a row.

Knock on wood, my 14 GT with almost 13,000 miles on it and on it's third oil change including the factory fill and no unusual noises.

To keep my warranty intact, I stay with 5W-20 Motorcraft blend and a Motorcraft filter. I hope I never have an issue. I hope you get yours resolved.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back