Mazda AJTM-14-302 Filter Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil on my daughter's van awhile back. After taking this filter off, I noticed that it had all the common characteristics of some Purolators (a Motorcraft FL820S in particular).

I knew I would be cutting it open, so I asked her how long it had been in use. She didn't know for sure, but estimated less than a year and probably 10K or so miles.

Well, it obviously didn't hold up well for the duration. The media has some tearing and a sizeable hole.

I'm beginning to think many of the Purolator products should be limited to 3mo./3K mi. Very disappointed. Oh well, they aren't the only game in town.

Not sure what I'm going to do since I've been using FL400S and FL820S filters on my Jeep and Cobra for some time now. I haven't had a failure of either of those yet, but I've seen a few other "failed" "Purolators" first hand now.

Megan%20Filter%202a_zpseinmfodi.jpg

The newer Mazda oil filters are made by Rokia (sp) in Japan and looked very well made. Someone on the Mazda forum has shown one dissected. Ed

Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
I'm beginning to think many of the Purolator products should be limited to 3mo./3K mi. Very disappointed. Oh well, they aren't the only game in town.

Just beginning?! Ya think?

More like 0 months and 0 miles if you care about filtration.

I don't think the Motorcraft filters have the same failure problem the 'regular' Purolators do, no-one seems to have posted evidence of that, so I think you are safe to stay with them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back