Oil catch can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any opinions on installing an oil catch can on my 2015 Accent GDI? I've been reading a lot from various sites/forums and most recommend them, but they are all Hyundai/Kia enthusiasts and "drink from the same fountain".

Any thoughts from the BITOGers?

I have one on my 14 Mustang because everyone else with a 5.0 says they get a ton of buildup. Had it since something like 2-3k miles and check it every couple months and there is barely anything in it.

Last edited:
Ever since someone gave me this piece of advice I stopped looking at such devices.

"Do you really think that car manufacturers would overlook something so simple and effective if it actually did anything?"

Originally Posted By: horse123
Ever since someone gave me this piece of advice I stopped looking at such devices.

"Do you really think that car manufacturers would overlook something so simple and effective if it actually did anything?"
Probably they would to cut costs.

I would say they could choose to not install a catch can based on adding a service/maintenance item to the vehicle. It would be bad to let it fill up, and most people wouldn't check it periodically.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
I would say they could choose to not install a catch can based on adding a service/maintenance item to the vehicle. It would be bad to let it fill up, and most people wouldn't check it periodically.

That and cost. They look to save nickels and dimes, imagine the added cost of a catch can.

The catch catch can on my truck catches about a tablespoon full every 1000 miles, and that is without locating the catch can away from the top of the engine to a cooler location. I empty it out about every 4k miles

As someone else mentioned, if the manufacturers installed them, very few drivers, besides Bitogers, would empty them.

So it sounds like they provide a good service. Any downsides? I might make mine easily removable for any warranty work, but I don't like being sketchy.

I'm about to put one on my i30. I've done a heck of a lot of research and reckon it will bring very positive benefits Especially on our GDI engines). The only reason manufacturers don't include them is the added maintenance which everyone would forget to do unless they were enthusiasts like we are.

Originally Posted By: omegaspeedy
I'm about to put one on my i30. I've done a heck of a lot of research and reckon it will bring very positive benefits Especially on our GDI engines). The only reason manufacturers don't include them is the added maintenance which everyone would forget to do unless they were enthusiasts like we are.

cheers3.gif

No downside at all. Trapping and removing oil mist, water vapor, combustion products, etc from going into your intake is a good thing.

I have a homemade one on my Subaru that holds about 8oz and below is after 30 days / 1660 miles:
CD446CE5-5E36-4F53-9EE9-E92222680E91-252-00000136022567BD_zps65a58a8b.jpg

Several manufacturers not only put self draining catch cans (don't look quite the same) from the factory, but also offer it as a factory aftermarket part.

Would manufacturers overlook something so simple? Of course.

I take a slightly different route. Electric vacuum pumps that pull 9" (measured) on the crankcase, and evacuate into the exhaust stream. It's not EPA spec, but it's no "dirtier" than stock. The additional injection of fresh air with the crankcase gases going into the exhaust likely reduces unburned hydrocarbons.

Edit: Ask any Jeep 4.0 owner who has swapped out their cast aluminum valve cover for the later stamped steel one if manufacturers always get the valve cover baffling right.

Last edited:
Wow a vacuum pump! That's cool, I'd love to see pics of that set up if you had any? I guess with our GDI motors there could be sensors that would get upset if we just plugged the inlet on the manifold? Where did you get the pump and how did you measure the vacuum of the original setup so you could match it?

Do NOT try that on your car. Period.

I'll shoot pics in the AM. I used electric smog pumps. I measured vacuum at the dipstick tube using a vacuum gauge. Removing the dipstick produces an audible pop.

I run 2 pumps in a series, which pulls 9" even with fresh air being allowed into the crankcase.

I didn't match the original vacuum. I exceeded it by far. A crankcase under vacuum doesn't place the rotating assembly in the task of having to shove around as much air in the crankcase.

BMW has a air/oil separator that acts as a PCV system. The oil returns back to the sump through a Y in the dipstick tube. It's known as a CCV valve and it's notorious for failing in E46 BMW's. Newer GM Ecotec V8's have baffles in the valve covers as part of the PCV system to help reduce oil consumption through the PCV system that plagued older Vortec LS engines.

Air/oil separator and catchment systems has been implemented in OE for years. It'sa "maintenance-free" setup, where the oil that is separated from the air goes back into the sump and not into a catch can where it's another maintenance item having to empty it every oil change. Not even the quikie-lube monkeys will touch it.

Last edited:
Plagued? We run those very same LS style V8's to ridiculous mileages here and have never had any issues other than the orifice style PCV's plugging with carbon very rarely. Probably because we rarely drive anywhere but in the city.

Note that Chrysler is also using a more complex separator in its valve covers as well in the new gen Hemis.

Oil is in the intake of virtually every car and truck ever built with a PCV. There is no plague of issues, millions and millions run well every day...

Originally Posted By: George7941
The catch catch can on my truck catches about a tablespoon full every 1000 miles, and that is without locating the catch can away from the top of the engine to a cooler location. I empty it out about every 4k miles

As someone else mentioned, if the manufacturers installed them, very few drivers, besides Bitogers, would empty them.

Very few drivers change their oil or even inflate their tires when they're low. You really think something being too complicated for the average driver to do would stop them from adding it?

Last edited:
Well that's funny, because I dare you to go on the street in a busy city and take a survey of how many people change their oil themselves. Probably 2 or 3 people per 50 asked.

Very few people change their own oil, did that stop car manufacturers from putting oil in engines?

I know 10 year old children with better logical thinking skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back