Best version of Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am doing an oil change today and am wondering: Do I go with Mobil Super Synthetic, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy, Mobil 1 High Mileage or Mobil 1 Extended Performance? Does the Mobil 1 High Mileage do anything that Mobil 1 Extended Performance does not?

What is your oil change interval? Unless you're pushing the limits of Extended Performance (12-15k miles for example), I'd buy the least expensive Mobil 1 variety...probably Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 AFE.

The varieties labeled Mobil 1 are top tier, although not all weights are available in all flavors.

What weight are you using, and what is the vehicle?

The HM variety will condition seals to stop or prevent leaks, and also has higher levels of additives.

Match the oil to your application.

If your going 10k+ miles use Mobil 1 EP

If your going 5k-7.5k miles use Mobil Super Synthetic

If your going 5k-10k (on a high mileage car that leaks) is Mobil 1 High Mileage

If your going 5-10k and you wanna get the best fuel mileage use Mobil 1 AFE (if the oil weight is recommended for your vehicle).

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
If your going 10k+ miles use Mobil 1 EP

Or M1 0w-40 since it carries official long life mfg approvals.

I have 3 vehicles. The one I am asking about is a 2004 Honda Civic with 110,541 miles. I use 5w-20 oil. Should I switch to 0w-20? I read that it reduces cold start wear. Is that true?

At this point you can do anything. That engine will last using gas station 10w30.

Your environment, driving habits and OCI's should determine your choice, not the car in this situation.

That engine cares a lot less about the oil than you do.

Buy whatever is cheapest, that meets your specs. Look in the rebate/sale section and stock up. This will save you some cash, since you have 3 vehicles. Hoard when absolute steals are available.

Originally Posted By: Avery4
I have 3 vehicles. The one I am asking about is a 2004 Honda Civic with 110,541 miles. I use 5w-20 oil. Should I switch to 0w-20? I read that it reduces cold start wear. Is that true?

That is the theory. M1 0w-20 EP is the premium choice. If it's burning or leaking oil, M1 5w-30 HM is what I'd use to start.

Mobil Super Synthetic, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy, Mobil 1 High Mileage or Mobil 1 Extended Performance

Any of these will work just fine. Any.

Mobil Super Synthetic, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy, Mobil 1 High Mileage or Mobil 1 Extended Performance

Exxon/Mobil has 4 synthetic classes:

Mobil Super Synthetic
Mobil 1
Mobil 1 High Mileage
Mobil 1 Extended Performance

The Advanced Fuel Economy is just a marketing name of Mobil 1 0W20 and 0W30.

If Advanced Fuel Economy is an actual category then they would have:
Mobil 1 0W20 and Mobil 1 0W20 AFE
Mobil 1 0W30 and Mobil 1 0W30 AFE

I have been using M1 0-20AFE for several years now and my engines perform and appear to be like new with 10K OCIs. 0-20 or 0-30 will
serve you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back