Subaru - why all the good press?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: philipp10
Well I live in Minnesota and have gotten by with rear wheel drive pickups so to me, front wheel drive is a dream. I just cannot see the use of AWD except maybe 3-4 days a year, it would be nice. Why can't Subaru make it a FWD with switchable RWD added in?

Knock on wood.....but I feel the same way, living here in Michigan. I would have considered the Forester IF I could have bought a fwd only version. I neither need or want the extra complexity of AWD.

Quote:
does subaru issue recalls or pay for ANY OF THE PATTERN FAILURES OR IS IT ON YOU

Someone correct me, but I believe recalls are only federally mandated on safety issues. For other things there are TSB's and are somewhat at the discretion of the manufacturer. The current FB engine consumption issue has had several TSB's outlining ring and/or engine replacement while under warranty. Out of warranty, who knows??

But, all manufacturers are slow to roll over and expose their soft underbellies. Remember the Toyota sludge engines, the GM intake gaskets, the ........

We've had 6 Subarus in the family to date. Like said above, they are extremely popular in the Buffalo/Western NY area for obvious reasons. Two of them made it to ~250K miles. One was traded in on a new Civic and the other was too rusty to save.

To me, the only thing that makes them stand out is the AWD system. Other than that, they tend to be safe, economical and reliable.

My 2014 XV Crosstrek is an enjoyable vehicle, but it's not w/out it's issues. I don't care for the 5spd manual. Terrible clutch feel. The factory AM/FM/CD/BT head-unit is the worst sounding HU I've had in a car in decades. I have had some sporadic oil consumption with it as well. I'll keep it for as long as I can stand it.

I have a 2011 Outback and it has been perfect with regard to operation. No problems, only scheduled maintenance. Handles well for a lifted wagon, confident steering, and brakes, CVT has been great as well. Very solid feel compared to other Japanese makes in competition.

We have four Subarus in my family and we have had no issues with them. Their AWD system is way better than the Jeep and GM systems that we have dealt with in the past. The cars handle very well in all conditions but are a tad on the slow side. I'm at 94.5K miles with my 2012 Impreza and haven't had any issues and no oil consumption at all even with 10-13K OCIs.

Subaru replaced my pzev catalytic converter with 140k on it for free as a part of a recall. This was perfectly fine in my book, as these cats can be very expensive.

bad head gaskets started around 2000 and kept on till depends on who you ask but wait till 2009 to be safe. of course then they started drinking oil so avoid them alltogether to be safe. too bad the rest of the car if great except for the motor

Originally Posted By: super20dan
bad head gaskets started around 2000 and kept on till depends on who you ask but wait till 2009 to be safe. of course then they started drinking oil so avoid them alltogether to be safe. too bad the rest of the car if great except for the motor

There is no need to avoid the new Subaru models. Have you looked at their sales....or do I need to link it again?

Originally Posted By: CKN

There is no need to avoid the new Subaru models. Have you looked at their sales....or do I need to link it again?

Not that I have anything against Subaru, but sales don't necessarily make for a good product.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar

Not that I have anything against Subaru, but sales don't necessarily make for a good product.

Yep-people buy [censored] products by the boatload? LINK PLEASE?

Not quite sure what you're looking for here regarding the "LINK PLEASE" request. Subaru sells way fewer cars than Toyota. So Toyota must make much better products. In fact, Toyota sells a boatload more vehicles than Subaru. Boatloads better product.

http://media.subaru.com/newsroom.do;jsessionid=60AD945B2B55629AF0D33220466A5DD1?&allImage=1&id=8&name=sales&mid=120

Here is above again the link to record sales for Subaru. Subaru always has been a niche manufacturer.

Tell me which sedan is all wheel drive at Toyota? Now you show me an inferior product that has had record sales. You need to prove your statement that record sales doesn't account for a good product. I'm waiting Bow.

Last edited:
You're asking me to refute your statement using logic that I've already described as flawed. Your request doesn't make any sense.

Do you think the F-150 is the best truck? Or the Camry is the best FWD sedan? I can't imagine you believe the best products are the ones purchased most.

As an example: the Mazda 6 is a great driving sedan, excellent MPGs, does very well in all tests. It doesn't sell anywhere close to the Fusion, Camry, Accord, et al. Does that mean it is an inferior product? Only if you're an accountant.

Walmart.com
21.gif
or maybe I should link the Harbour Freight site?

Some of you actually need to read on how various AWD systems work. Much like Audi's older torsen diff based system Subaru's is not just FWD 90% of the time. It is always sending power around especially when cornering because you can feel it pushing you out of the corner.

You want a useless FWD based system I suggest a Honda or Ford product, Toyota does better in the Rav4 somewhat.

Even VW & Audi use the FWD based system now and those aren't great either.

The fact that some of you are comparing a product from 30 years ago to today is histerical...remember when ALL Asian products rusted through in 5 years?

If you simply want AWD that works you buy a Subaru. If you want the most reliable boring A-B car you buy something else.

The best products are the ones that continually improve themselves and garner a cult following with constant return sales I think.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

The best products are the ones that continually improve themselves and garner a cult following with constant return sales I think.

This. Which is why the sales argument is completely inappropriate. People will certainly buy junk by the boatload if it is priced accordingly. Look at the China 4-wheelers for example.

On the other hand, certain products, often due to unique features, even when priced much higher, will still garner a cult-like following and subsequently yield consistent, though not record breaking sales.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Actual survey evidence from thousands of owners over the years lead CR to believe Subaru ranks in the upper half of all vehicle brands. I just don't see them being a huge problem. Sure individual cases exist, but if they are statistically low, then thats all we can ask. http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA970161027.PDF

Yes, and Subaru IS in the upper tier of most reliable brands and models. Consistently over the past five years or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back