Ford Ecoboost 2.0L-Any Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides looking at the Subaru and a Hyundai I am also looking at the Ford Escape with the 2.0L Ecoboost engine single scroll turbo.How is this engine holding up? Anybody recommend this engine?Thanks Joe

Yes overall they are good engines. They took the already great Ford/Mazda 2.0 Duratec and beefed up the internals and added DI and a turbo.

Its a world engine and is installed in many platforms. If there was a flaw, it would be obvious by now.

I have one in my 2015 Focus ST. Got about 4500 miles so far. Great engine, no problems to report. It makes the car a riot to drive. I did a lot of research beforehand and expected there to be no problems.

There are people on the Focus ST forums who mod and tune the heck out of them, some pushing over 400 hp on stock internals. A few highly tuned/modded guys have problems but most do not.

You can run 87 or 93 gasoline. In my Focus ST I lose 9 hp at 5500 rpm if I run 87. Torque remains the same. I've tried both and am currently running 93 to watch for any mpg difference.

I love all these people saying a quite new, unproven engine will last forever. The truth is they've had their share of problems like any DI engine.

Anyone with an egoboost who's thinking about replying to this, I can tell you I don't care and I won't read it, by the way. Ford fanboys are the worst.

Ford's EB engines have baby little turbos that give that feeling of "wow omg this car is fast!" to any ignorant people who happen to test drive, but they quickly lose power at higher RPMs. They also aren't as efficient as people like to think, because people who buy them tend to slam on then accelerator constantly and destroy efficiency. I'll give them that's 100% a driver problem, and not Ford's. Just don't think you're going to be getting sports car speed and 40mpg or something unreasonable like that.

The hyundai or subuaru will have much better resale value down the road, and the hyundai will probably have the most lasting interior and exterior of the 3. There is just no way a modern Ford will outlast a modern Asian car (maybe an Infiniti or Nissan 3.5), no matter how many patriotic fordlovers on BITOG wish it would.

Originally Posted By: horse123
I love all these people saying a quite new, unproven engine will last forever. The truth is they've had their share of problems like any DI engine.

Anyone with an egoboost who's thinking about replying to this, I can tell you I don't care and I won't read it, by the way. Ford fanboys are the worst.

Ford's EB engines have baby little turbos that give that feeling of "wow omg this car is fast!" to any ignorant people who happen to test drive, but they quickly lose power at higher RPMs. They also aren't as efficient as people like to think, because people who buy them tend to slam on then accelerator constantly and destroy efficiency. I'll give them that's 100% a driver problem, and not Ford's. Just don't think you're going to be getting sports car speed and 40mpg or something unreasonable like that.

The hyundai or subuaru will have much better resale value down the road, and the hyundai will probably have the most lasting interior and exterior of the 3. There is just no way a modern Ford will outlast a modern Asian car (maybe an Infiniti or Nissan 3.5), no matter how many patriotic fordlovers on BITOG wish it would.

Are you drunk?

There are some stellar cars coming out of Asia today but they aren't Hyundais and they most certainly aren't Subaru's. LOL

I forgot to mention the mpg.

This is the Ecoboost double edge sword. They have the ability to use enormous amounts of fuel and get terrible mileage. Trust me, I've done it in my ST. They also have the ability to get really good mpg. I've been getting great hwy mileage lately. I recently drove from Alabama to Ohio and averaged 33 mpg going 70-75 with me and several hundred pounds of gear and luggage in the back. But I knew this going in so, consider how you drive and how that might affect your mpg.

My son travels a lot and rents the Escape Ecoboost. He tells me it has very good power for a 2.0. Also I see a lot of Ecoboost Fords around here in southern Illinois.

dad just bought a new escape with this engine. so far, he loves it, (only 24xx mi so far) to me, it sounds a little "diesel-y" lots of top end noise, probably loud injectors or something.

his has a build date of sometime last sept. and some time last fall, (i've not been able to pin down a date yet) they expanded production of this Engine to Cleveland, OH*, where Previously they had all come from Valencia, Spain.

and i have yet to have anyone give me a definitive answer on how to tell if it's a Spanish, or American motor. (not that it matters i'd just like to know.)

* alongside the EB3.5, and 3.7NA for RWD applications(NA 3.5, and FWD 3.7's Made Here In Lima, along with the New 2.7EB)

I have 35k on my 13 Focus ST and it's been a truly great car. The 2.0 is a gem of a engine. If I want the power it's there if I want to drive like a sane person it'll do 30mpg. I've driven and ridden in the escape 2.0 and it's a really fine combination of power for the size of the vehicle. I really like the Escape with the 2.0 it's actually quite quick go drive one.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar

Are you drunk?

crackmeup2.gif

My mom has one in her Fusion and it is a good match for the car. This was the first car she has ever owned that didn't have a Windsor or Modular V8 and she can't tell the difference. Mileage is so-so mostly because her Fusion is AWD.

On the maintenance end, I try to do the oil changes every 5K and use either Motorcraft or M1 5W30. The engine seems to run a lot better with 91 vs 87 octane. The car only ever sees Shell fuel.

I have a 13 Focus ST, excellent engine. Small, quick spooling turbo makes tons of low end and mid range torque. Fuel economy is ok if you don't drive it like an animal. The car is an absolute blast to drive.

Well my two Fords are the FIRST two Fords I have ever owned in my 25 years of driving. So I can hardly be called a "fan boy".

Fact is I have owned VW, Toyota, Scion, Honda, Dodge, Chevy, Saturn,and Subaru in addition to my current Fords.

My F150 has an Eco-Boost V6, it is capable of getting very good mileage but also quite capable of burning fuel quickly. However in the six months I've owned it, the overall mileage has been a ~2 mpg increase over my previous 5.3 V8 Silverado (both half-ton 4x4, the Ford is actually larger and a tad heavier). It would also torch the Silverado, tons of power from low rpm all the way up to the redline.

horse123 is clearly talking out of his hairy TROLL backside

My Focus has the normally aspirated 2.0l GDI engines. The injectors are noisy but the engine is smooth. It consistently gets 28 mpg in town and 38 mpg on the highway. I imagine I'd get less with the Eco-Boost version mostly because I'd probably have my foot in it a lot.

My wife's 1.8 liter, auto, 1995 Geo Prizm with 167k miles gets 33-34 mpg with 500 pounds of family and luggage in the car at 75-80 mph on the Florida Turnpike. The oil looks almost new at 6-7000 miles when change it. Cold 20 year old untouched/never ser iced a/c too. Hehe!

What?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
There are some stellar cars coming out of Asia today but they aren't Hyundais and they most certainly aren't Subaru's. LOL

The Subaru hate on this forum is ridiculous. Not quite sure what they did to get BITOG's panties in a bunch besides become more popular.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: Ethan1

The Subaru hate on this forum is ridiculous. Not quite sure what they did to get BITOG's panties in a bunch besides become more popular.

Frankly it almost makes me think that another competitor's social media people are participating? Could it be? I think so.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
The "Subaru hate" is just an outspoken minority. Though it is fun to see the Subaru fans get all huffy.

I'm just ready for something else to become popular so they can move on.

My parents have a 2013 Escape AWD with the 2.0L. It's pretty ridiculous how much power that thing has.

Mileage is about 27MPG for commuting, 30,31 on the highway or state highways - running 91 octane.

Mileage drops to 24/27 for the above scenarios when they run 87. Very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back