accident today, dropping things into crankcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: engineer20
hopefully this is true
as for the other commnets, some people just need to grow up, this isn't a joke, i know it can be so funny, but it was a serious real accident, they happen, it was stupid on my part, yes, i'm keeping the power bait container to pour my leftover oil that's hard to come out of the 5 quart jugs next time for topping off, as it's a good transfer container and is about the same diameter as the oil cap /crankcase cap, but i learned my lesson the hard way to take everything out and be sure of that (nothing in that jar now, the last piece fell in, i didn't think it would fall in since it was sticky, but i assumed wrong)

yes, I lack common sense, i'm not the most book smart but decently book smart, but i'm trying to make up for that now and am learning more common sense things (i'm still young, almost 30 but still in my 20s)

So you knew it was in there all along?

Just wondering, where did you earn your degree?

^^^^^^^ THIS x1,000,000

While I can understand the immediate need for a small container to transfer fluids, I have never once 'accidentally' failed to verify that it was:
1) Completely empty
and
2) thoroughly clean

..before using it. Accident prone, I can understand, but this is just plain ignorant.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: TNpowerstroke
I would advise to throw the power bait container away and use an empty oil quart bottle to drain the excess oil in. Just my .02 cents worth.

Agreed..

Also one of these can be really handy(just don't drop it in the dirt)...

funnel-plastic-28-p.jpg

I don't really see the need to transfer leftover/excess oil from the jug to another container ... I just pour the oil straight from it's original container, whether it be from single court containers or 5-quart jugs. I don't really see how that's a problem. But, if you want to transfer it to another container, I agree with the advice above made by TNpowerstroke. That way you know you're using a container that has only had oil in it and nothing else. I would never transfer oil to a container that isn't clean or has something else in it.

Like I said, I knew it was in there (a small last small piece) but because it was "sticky" i assumed it would NOT fall in. But I was wrong and now I learned. I'm learning, we live and learn and feel we should encourage each other rather than put one another down. I'm honestly not trolling, and though this does sound silly, it was an honest mistake and now I know, no matter how sticky, never have anything in your container you're going to pour oil into! I kept the power bait container for future use (it's empty now) and I was using a 5 quart pennsoil platinum jug and just the oil at the bottom (the last part, it's like a mini layer) is hard to get out so I had to tilt it in special ways, get it in my jar, and get the oil from the jar to the fill hole.

As for pulling the valve cover, i heard you must change your valve cover gasket as a result of this too, is that right or should I be ok?

I had concerns about blowby or the valve seals on the camry but also concerns about a tranny mount (lower mount) on the taurus in that the vehicle jerks when you shift it into reverse. Is the tranny mount an easy to do diy job? SOrry, I got off topic.

I forgot to mention, does driving in the left lane, or closest to the center, save the most car mileage? I googled this but came to a result where your tire tread affects your "mileage reading" and speedometer reading. Is that right and it's not significant, is it? will driving on the left lane save the most mileage as it's closest to the center, whereas driving on the right or slow lane wastes the most mileage since it's further away from the center, and if there is a difference, is it significant? I'm trying to save every mile and every drop of gas possible so if this means driving on the left lane, I'll do that.

Belle Tire also told me that driving fast wears down your tires more, so does that mean highway driving, esp in the fast lane, wear down your tires faster? The speed limit in MI is 70, and they drive 80 or often over the fast lane whereas the slow lane is often 70 and the center may be 70 or 70s. Is the center lane the best trade off between maintaining tire tread and saving mileage as the left lane saves your trip meter/odometer mileage reading wear down your tires faster (is this wear noticeable and significant between say 70 and 80 mph) or should I drive on the right and while i waste more "miles" and travel a "further" distance, I still save my tires from unnecessary extra wear and get more mpg as I heard 80 makes your mpg drop a lot (though i didn't notice this but that's what they say). Thanks for the help and advice.

I contacted some mechanics and got conflicting reports about this. The car is in the shop now, having the tranny mount inspected, but he said he looked at the power bait or for it and it was gone and he said it should be fine and dissolve. But another mechanic, which also inspected my tranny mount and ssaid it was bad recommended I do NOT drive the vehicle (has been driven about 100 or so miles since the incident) until he look at it and he might have to pull the cover. Mechanic 3 said I shouldn't drive it and he needs to pull the cover and then change my valve cover gasket since pulling the cover will ruin the valve cover gasket and mechanic 4 (my tire place) said it should be OK.

I guess for now, I'll change the oil and do a UOA on this and see if they see anything "fishy" about my oil and not repeat this mistake next time I pour oil into the crankcase.

i'm planning to take it to belle tire for them to take a look at it too.

I contacted some mechanics and got conflicting reports about this. The car is in the shop now, having the tranny mount inspected, but he said he looked at the power bait or for it and it was gone and he said it should be fine and dissolve. But another mechanic, which also inspected my tranny mount and ssaid it was bad recommended I do NOT drive the vehicle (has been driven about 100 or so miles since the incident) until he look at it and he might have to pull the cover. Mechanic 3 said I shouldn't drive it and he needs to pull the cover and then change my valve cover gasket since pulling the cover will ruin the valve cover gasket and mechanic 4 (my tire place) said it should be OK.

I guess for now, I'll change the oil and do a UOA on this and see if they see anything "fishy" about my oil and not repeat this mistake next time I pour oil into the crankcase.

i'm planning to take it to belle tire for them to take a look at it too.

Sounds like a plan.

I forgot to mention, does driving in the left lane, or closest to the center, save the most car mileage? I googled this but came to a result where your tire tread affects your "mileage reading" and speedometer reading. Is that right and it's not significant, is it? will driving on the left lane save the most mileage as it's closest to the center, whereas driving on the right or slow lane wastes the most mileage since it's further away from the center, and if there is a difference, is it significant? I'm trying to save every mile and every drop of gas possible so if this means driving on the left lane, I'll do that.

Belle Tire also told me that driving fast wears down your tires more, so does that mean highway driving, esp in the fast lane, wear down your tires faster? The speed limit in MI is 70, and they drive 80 or often over the fast lane whereas the slow lane is often 70 and the center may be 70 or 70s. Is the center lane the best trade off between maintaining tire tread and saving mileage as the left lane saves your trip meter/odometer mileage reading wear down your tires faster (is this wear noticeable and significant between say 70 and 80 mph) or should I drive on the right and while i waste more "miles" and travel a "further" distance, I still save my tires from unnecessary extra wear and get more mpg as I heard 80 makes your mpg drop a lot (though i didn't notice this but that's what they say). Thanks for the help and advice.

The inter-lanear distance and speed theorem is interesting. A lot of motorists assume that driving in the left lane at all times is optimal (as evidenced by my daily commute), but obviously a lot of external influences come into play. Your altitude plays a part of course since gravity is weaker at higher altitudes (resulting in less wear on the tires), but the elevation differences between lanes can be difficult to measure with GPS.

My guess is that riding in the center lane (if there is one, otherwise straddling both lanes) is optimal as it averages out the inter-lanear gravity discrepancies.

My $0.02 but thanks for bringing it up.

Like I said, I knew it was in there...

I contacted some mechanics...

So in 7 minutes, you went from wondering if you need to replace the valve cover and if you can do the tranny mount to talking to four mechanics, having two of them look at it and have one working on it?

You are so all over the place, I can't help but think you are a total troll...

I had concerns about blowby or the valve seals on the camry but also concerns about a tranny mount (lower mount) on the taurus in that the vehicle jerks when you shift it into reverse. Is the tranny mount an easy to do diy job? SOrry, I got off topic.

I forgot to mention, does driving in the left lane, or closest to the center, save the most car mileage?

So, you are "sorry" you "got off topic", and then immediately ask about driving style fuel economy in the PCMO forum in a thread about a crankcase issue.

Either you are a troll, severely ADHD, or one of those stream of consciousness guys that can never finish anything- like, just off the top of my head, an engineering degree.

Whichever it is, please stop.

I have a feeling he is someone who can't stop.
What kind of dreams does he have?
No,I don't want to know.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

I forgot to mention, does driving in the left lane, or closest to the center, save the most car mileage?

So, you are "sorry" you "got off topic", and then immediately ask about driving style fuel economy in the PCMO forum in a thread about a crankcase issue.

Either you are a troll, severely ADHD, or one of those stream of consciousness guys that can never finish anything- like, just off the top of my head, an engineering degree.

Whichever it is, please stop.

"does driving in the center lane,or closest to the center,save the most car mileage?"
it's obvious, now, that he's a troll -- nobody can be this stupid.
have a good night, all.

I just have a lot of questions and am asking them online and I sometimes go to parts stores to ask the store associates a long list of questions too. My computer is slow and it's a pain to start a new forum for every new question i have, so that's why sometimes i get off topic because i want to "kill 2 birds with one stone" or use that approach on these forums. I apologize if you are bothered by it, but it's a way to save effort and time on my part since I have a slow internet connection and a slow computer

i asked a bunch of mechanics the past few days. the honest ones and honest shops tell me I'm fine and it won't mess up the oil pump and there's no need to pull the valve cover. now, the dishonest ones, they'll tell you, you[ll screw up the engine and you need to pull the valve coover and they'd get paid to take a look and most likely find nothing and then end up having to change my gasket, so i think i'm fine now, it's been driven for 100+ miles, the mechanics dcound't locate it anymore by peeking through the oil fill hole and they said it's so hot in there, it'd melt and won't get stuck since it's a solid which easily dissolves, so it goes from solid to solid-liquid, and then liquid which enters your oil and will be filtered out, i'm guessing but i believe i should be fine

but i do have questions about that taurus mount, is it a torque strut mount or transmission mount or both and how would i know?

My computer is slow and it's a pain to start a new forum for every new question i have, so that's why sometimes i get off topic because i want to "kill 2 birds with one stone" or use that approach on these forums. I apologize if you are bothered by it, but it's a way to save effort and time on my part since I have a slow internet connection and a slow computer

You're an Engineer (not just your name, but what you stated in the past) and you can't afford anything better than a slow computer and a slow Internet connection? You can't even figure out how to use the My Stuff->My Posts dropdown to track your topics?

I can't find any forum rules about starting a new topic for each subject of discussion, just a list of liability disclaimers. So, I guess you can do anything the moderators let you get away with.

My way of saving time and effort will be to ignore your ridiculous meandering posts.

Being an Engineer doesn't mean you're an actual Engineer.

My brother worked for a short time in a hotel as an "Engineer" and he fixed things around the hotel and checked to make sure things worked, worlds easiest job, much less demanding than working at McDonalds or something.

That's probably what he is.

Any reasonable person who makes mistakes would seek to learn if any damage occurred rather than ask strangers who have less information about the incident for advice...asking for advice is not going to provide the learning you would gain by practical experience...

Take a sample of the bait, drop it in oil heated to 150° and see what happens to it...

As for adding multiple topics to a single thread, that is inconsiderate....it is considered improper etiquette on every internet forum....now you know.

End of discussion....good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back