Spark Plug Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the spark plugs on my 2010 Suzuki SX4 Crossover at 64,277 miles. I used Bosch 9600 Iridium plugs as the replacements. Many people say that changing them now is too early, but the manual says to change them at 60k. I am including pictures of the old plugs for discussion on the wear. The tips all looked good to me. The base of the ceramic part looked a little burnt, but overall they looked fine. Could these plugs have gone a lot longer? Or is it just safe to change them whether or not it needs it?

W4VnxkT.jpg

lDd6nqT.jpg

4x4n98S.jpg

LfbGAaV.jpg

iPH61EH.jpg

lAE89hu.jpg

Changing them isn't too early if the manual says that interval, but you should've used NGK or Denso and not Bosch

I've used iridium plugs for over 10 years and there's never been an application where I didn't feel that they might need replacing in the 60-75K mile range. It's noticeable at that point in a lot of cars and personally I would never let them go to 100K miles. That's just been my experience and I'm sure others have gone longer without issue...so, I think you're probably right on schedule with what's worked out as optimal for me.

What would be wrong with using them until they start to misfire under load and set a code? I'm no expert but wouldn't the computer pick up a problem and give you ample warning?

Originally Posted By: vickeryaj
Why not Bosch? I read a lot of good thing about them.

A lot of folks here on BITOG believe that you should only use the same brand that came with the car.

However as long as the plug is the correct application and equally important number of electrodes, material (iridium, platinum, ect)correct gap, and heat range, there should be NO problem whatsoever, Bosch plugs are excellent quality too, a big problem is that people NEED to use the same number of electrodes as the OEM plug. When you fail to heed that you start having problems.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
What would be wrong with using them until they start to misfire under load and set a code? I'm no expert but wouldn't the computer pick up a problem and give you ample warning?

Could you wait that long ? .. Yes.
Should you ? I wouldn't. A number of cars (esp. GM that I know of for sure) use the plug gap as an "Ionization Sensor" to measure things in the combustion chamber. When they are neglected too long ( past 100K or recom. time ) They start to be hard on (stressing out) the ignition system ( the coils, wires ( or just the boots ) the ignition IC circuitry for the ignition module, etc) This overheats other components and creates more problems in the long run. Also, yes - with just the clean, sharp gapped plugs, precious or otherwise, at the required mileage will keep cylinder combustion efficiency up where it belongs.

Oh and if they aren't newer nickel plated plugs and or coated with any anti seize coating - at higher mileage on some engines they may not WANT to come out !!

BurrWinder

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

A lot of folks here on BITOG believe that you should only use the same brand that came with the car.

However as long as the plug is the correct application and equally important number of electrodes, material (iridium, platinum, ect)correct gap, and heat range, there should be NO problem whatsoever, Bosch plugs are excellent quality too, a big problem is that people NEED to use the same number of electrodes as the OEM plug. When you fail to heed that you start having problems.

Agreed... EXCEPT CHAMPION PLUGS !! Those are only good for small engines, tractors and Chryslers...

TOTAL JUNK in most anything else !!

BurrWinder

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

I believe you should use the brand that came in the car... as long as its not Bosch. :p

Seriously, I don't think brand matters in most cases. Bosch platinums have a horrible reputation, but I know nothing about their Iridiums. My Ram 4.7 came with 8 Bosch copper plugs on the intake side, which I replaced at the recommended 30k miles (OK, closer to 40k...) with Autolite copper plugs. The Bosch plugs that came out were minimally worn and looked pretty good for copper plugs at that mileage. The 8 exhaust-side plugs on the 4.7 (gen II) are 100k plugs, so I haven't had them out yet.

I did change the plugs on my 392 at 35k even though they're nominally 90k plugs, mostly because its such an easy job on the Hemi. Leaving plugs in that long makes me worry more about threads seizing than about the plugs wearing out, too. I replaced the factory Denso plugs with Autolite Iridium plugs- no change in driveability, MPG, or misfires. I remember when a plug change on a V8 ran about $10 in plugs. It was over $100 for 16 Iridiums for the 392... Ouch.

Looks like my old NGK iridium plugs with the corona staining. The manual for my Subaru also states to replace @ 60K and that's what I did. No sense in trying to stretch the life out of spark plugs. Replaced with Denso Iridium TT and the engine felt like new again.

99 dodge van 200,000 miles original plugs, 06 Malibu 153,000 miles original plugs. If they give me problems I'll post the results on this forum.

Count me as one of those that believes that AC plugs go in GM cars and trucks, Bosch plugs go in European cars, NGK goes in Asian cars, Autolite in a Ford, Mopar in a Chrysler, and Champion plugs should never, ever go in a car, only a small engine such as a lawn mower, leaf blower, etc.

My first experience with this was when I used to drive a VW Dasher. Loved the car, but it did require frequent spark plug changes. One time I tried AC plugs. The car ran like [censored] until I went back to Bosch. Having not fully learned the lesson, later on I put Champion plugs in an Olds Cutlass. That was a terrible experience. For years after that, I wouldn't even buy a Champion plug for a lawn mower. Both times I was using the plug that was supposed to be a direct fit for the car.

So yes, I do stay with the brand of plug a car comes with. But this is based upon solid life experience. Fool me once . . .

I changed the factory plugs on my Focus around 36000 miles - maybe closer to 40K. They didn't look bad when I posted them on here.

There was no misfire. Car ran smooth. However, I had noticed that I would have to shift down to 4th gear on a 4 lane highway with a steep hill to my parents. Not something I had to do when the car was newer.

After changing the plugs, the car got the power back and there was an increase in fuel economy.

I have no doubt that the plugs would have run 100K miles as suggested in the manual, but there would have been a decrease in fuel economy and power. Also, I wanted to change them out so they don't get frozen in the head.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Looks like my old NGK iridium plugs with the corona staining. The manual for my Subaru also states to replace @ 60K and that's what I did. No sense in trying to stretch the life out of spark plugs. Replaced with Denso Iridium TT and the engine felt like new again.

I installed the Denso Iridium TT spark plugs in my CRV and am really happy with them. So far I have only about 5,000 miles on them but I have no complaints yet and hope it stays like this for another 100,000 miles.

If the manual says to change them, do it.

The ones in my Cruze can likely go the rated 100k miles. I changed them once at 60k miles or so, didn't notice any difference. The ones in the Fit weren't looking so hot when they got changed at 91k miles. Too soon to know if there's a difference in power/fuel economy since they were just done.

The worst think that can happen is that the engine has new plugs in it.Good move.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Bosch OE parts are great! But Bosch aftermarket parts are [censored].

Yes, I have found that as well... the aftermarket multi electrode Bosch Platinum seem to not be all they are cracked up to be... like alot of things in life...

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Count me as one of those that believes that AC plugs go in GM cars and trucks, Bosch plugs go in European cars, NGK goes in Asian cars, Autolite in a Ford, Mopar in a Chrysler, and Champion plugs should never, ever go in a car, only a small engine such as a lawn mower, leaf blower, etc.

My first experience with this was when I used to drive a VW Dasher. Loved the car, but it did require frequent spark plug changes. One time I tried AC plugs. The car ran like [censored] until I went back to Bosch. Having not fully learned the lesson, later on I put Champion plugs in an Olds Cutlass. That was a terrible experience. For years after that, I wouldn't even buy a Champion plug for a lawn mower. Both times I was using the plug that was supposed to be a direct fit for the car.

So yes, I do stay with the brand of plug a car comes with. But this is based upon solid life experience. Fool me once . . .

I would tend to agree with that also... EXCEPT the fact that Champion are still likely O.E. fitment in like probably 90% of Chrysler products... Just sayin'... I don't believe Mopar even makes a plug anymore... I don't believe AC Delco makes any of their precious metal plugs of their own anymore, either.. NGK's...

BurrWinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back