Win 8.1 to W10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presently running 8.1 with keyboard & Mouse and like it. What advantage would I have in "updating" to W10? Would the desktop format be the same? Ed Hayes

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Presently running 8.1 with keyboard & Mouse and like it. What advantage would I have in "updating" to W10? Would the desktop format be the same? Ed Hayes

It has a start menu and probably some other enhancements. It won't be a big change. There will REALLY be little change for me: I already run Stardock's Start8 software on my 8.1 machines; with a Start Menu, Windows 8.1 is essentially a much faster Windows 7. The only difference (to me) is that W10 will move the end-of-life date of your OS out a few years beyond what you have now (January 2018 for mainstream support and January 2023 for extended support).

I've been pleased with how Windows 10 runs on some of my older equipment, but lately, I've retired some of that older equipment and don't have a big motivator for upgrading my two 8.1 machines at the moment. I plan to sit on the sidelines and see how W10 works out and will re-evaluate next spring.

from what Ive been reading W10 is more about usability than new features. Not to say there are no new features. Direct X 12 could gain 40% graphics speed and help address 4K monitors and graphics scaling. I also read that it may be the last M$ OS and going forward will be subscription based to keep updated. Do some searches and all your answers are out there.

I don't plan to upgrade either, running 8.1 with Start8 from Stardock as well. (just wonder how much $$$ did Stardock make off the program)

I will caution anyone to give it some time before you upgrade to 10. You have a year to upgrade/update for free, use some of that time to see how it shakes out.

Windows 8/8.1 and 10 are mobile operating systems being modified to work on laptops and desktops.

Yes, there is a "Start Menu" of sorts and some new icons. There's also Bing built into your Desktop Search and a LOT of Microsoft Universal Apps, all of which want to be always on and always connected, and that, if you don't want them, will have to be turned off, or uninstalled.

The latest I've read is that those who upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 will actually get 10 through the Windows update process and that in that process it is quite likely that your Windows 7 or 8.1 activation key will be transferred over to Windows 10. If that's true then you will not be able to go back even with an image, as your old system will no longer have a valid activation key.

If you want to do a clean install of 10, you'll first have to go through the update process so that you can make a disk so that you can do a clean install.

All of which is to say, give it some time to see how it all works out.

Hokiefyd and I had a significant back and forth about whether to upgrade to 10 or not, not too long ago. I haven't changed my mind. I really don't see anything in 10 that encourages me to upgrade, especially considering the amount of control and privacy I'll have to give up.

I've purchased and installed StartIsBack in 8.1 and I like what I have.

I've been running the 10 Tech Previews in a virtual machine since last October and while the latest build, 10158, is better........I still don't like it as much as I do 8.1.

Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
The latest I've read is that those who upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 will actually get 10 through the Windows update process and that in that process it is quite likely that your Windows 7 or 8.1 activation key will be transferred over to Windows 10. If that's true then you will not be able to go back even with an image, as your old system will no longer have a valid activation key.

If true, can you imagine the shock that would create? Auto-upgraded with no ability to go back? MS doesn't need that kind of negative publicity with a new OS release.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
If that's true

If true, can you imagine the shock that would create? Auto-upgraded with no ability to go back? MS doesn't need that kind of negative publicity with a new OS release.

Key phrase I used was "If that's true". There's a lot about Windows 10 still to be learned.

I'm not making a blanket statement that anyone should upgrade or not upgrade, I'm just saying give it some time to see what's real and what isn't.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
If that's true

Key phrase I used was "If that's true". There's a lot about Windows 10 still to be learned.

I'm not making a blanket statement that anyone should upgrade or not upgrade, I'm just saying give it some time to see what's real and what isn't.

I understand. I did note your "if that's true". Not accusing you of anything at all. Just 'wondering out loud' that if someone with W7 or 8, that had auto-updates enabled and left their machine on overnight, the surprise they would feel if the next day, suddenly W10 appeared!

Time will tell!

Sled, wasn't aimed at you, sorry, just clarifying for others.

You're right, for those who have their systems set to, "Install updates Automagically", it COULD be a real shocker.

Depends on how it's presented because even with that setting not all updates are automatically installed. I think only Important updates are installed automatically and Recommended updates are not. Is that right?

There are several choices on the "Choose Your Windows Update Settings Screen"

Under “Important updates”

1. Install updates automatically (recommended)
2. Download updates but let me choose whether to install them
3. Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them
4. Never check for updates (not recommended)

Under “Recommended Updates” is a check box to choose whether or not to “Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates”

Under Microsoft Update is a check box to choose whether or not to “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows”

I believe either 2 or 3 above are the safest and I use 2 as I expect most people do.

I also put a tick in the check box to receive recommended updates the same way and the same for updates for other Microsoft products because I have Office installed.

Is Windows 10 going to be an Important Update or a Recommended Update, or something else?

I expect it will come like Service Packs have in the past and I don't remember them installing automatically, but then I've never let Windows install anything automatically.

Though even by choosing 2, (above), I've seen updates download and want to install when I shut down, so that's a possibility with Windows 10.

When Windows 8.1 users signed up with Microsoft to get Windows 10, wasn't there a stipulation there that the new Windows 10 would be automatically downloaded when available?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
When Windows 8.1 users signed up with Microsoft to get Windows 10, wasn't there a stipulation there that the new Windows 10 would be automatically downloaded when available?

I think that was just "Reserving" a copy and not binding.

In fact, just 5 minutes ago I came across the following link which explains, I think, just how this will work, and answers your question as well as my own that I posted earlier.

Windows 10 is coming...here's what to tell non-technical parent Or anyone!

He's using Build 10159 which is the latest build, released yesterday.

Last edited:
I have not signed up for the pre-reservation simply because I want more control over how Windows 10 is installed on my computer, if I do eventually upgrade to it. I don't mind downloading a 4 GB ISO and cutting a DVD. But I'd rather it not download Windows 10 in the background and do some sort of an in-place upgrade on me.

So, again, I'm holding off for now.

Quote:
Sled, wasn't aimed at you, sorry, just clarifying for others.

You're right, for those who have their systems set to, "Install updates Automagically", it COULD be a real shocker.

No worries! Agreed re: real shocker!!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
From what I've seen from the video, I see no reason to switch at all. What am I missing? Ed

I don't know Ed, I've not yet found the answer. If there IS a reason, it's "under the hood".

Faster? Lighter? More stable? I haven't heard that.

What I've heard about is Cortana, Edge, Start Menu, Skype, OneDrive, Bing, etc, etc.

Oh, and the BIG, BIG reason............... it's free.

Right now I think that what it does is bring Microsoft closer to realizing their plan for a one size fits all O.S. Phones, pads, laptops and desktops all using the same O.S. and that will bulk up their app store since a developer can write one app and it will run on everything Microsoft.

They don't have to develop and maintain multiple operating systems, major cost savings.

Cortana/Bing driving revenue through search means ad revenue and so forth.

What's in it for the rest of us? Right now, it's a free copy of Windows 10.

I don't think this makes Microsoft bad guys, they're just trying to monetize their product as best they can.

I'm sure I'll upgrade to it, but later, after it's been out for a while and I've had a chance to read some reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back