Clunking 2012 Elantra GLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have 155K on my 2012 Elantra and a clunking noise has reared its ugly sound. I first noticed it going down my somewhat bumpy stone drive way in the morning. It is most evident at low speeds on uneven surfaces. It seems to be up front either center or right. Past weekend I had it up on ramps, had the front end jacked up from the center beam, had each wheel jacked up and gave it a look over. As best as I can determine there is play up and down (not the in and out which is always there) on my front right axle shaft where it goes into the outer joint. I haven't noticed any other signs that the cv joint is bad. Does this make sense, would it make the clunkity clunk sounds I'm hearing? I also found that there aren't any after market axle assemblies for these cars yet. That seems strange to me.
Any one familiar with the axles being the cause of clunking sounds (not clicking when turning) when going over bumps on front wheel drive cars?

Also check both strut top steering bearing races and rattley front calipers. My Mazda 626 use to eat those - particularly if you are a couple #'s over inflated up front

Last edited:
Strut tops, sway bar links, control arm bushings... there's probably more.

Very platform specific, if this was my sig car the shocks actually have replaceable bushings that are known failure points...

CV joints will have a small amount of play.

Inspect the sway bar hardware with the vehicle on the ground.

My son went for a ride and he thinks it sounds like a sway bar link. I checked the axle again and I don't think that's it. Unwanted noises drive me crazy.

Originally Posted By: schuylkill
My son went for a ride and he thinks it sounds like a sway bar link. I checked the axle again and I don't think that's it. Unwanted noises drive me crazy.

YOu think or you guess?

Either way: get an indy mech to put the car on the hoist to perform inspection. Guessing isn't gonna do much...

Lots of times you'll see the nut snapped off one of the sway bar links if its bad. Easy to see. I recall some midsize buick century's even snapping the sway bars themselves due to over-hardening(?) of the shaft.

Check for loose wheel bearings too.

Last edited:
Quote:
Lots of times you'll see the nut snapped off one of the sway bar links if its bad. Easy to see. I recall some midsize buick century's even snapping the sway bars themselves due to over-hardening(?) of the shaft.

Check for loose wheel bearings too.

The wheel bearing on the noise side seems OK. If I can't find anything, I think I'll remove the sway bar link and drive down my driveway so I'll know if that's the problem.

Quote:
By yanking on the end of the sway bar near where it connects with the link I was able to see that the ball has play and makes noise in the socket of the link.
I ordered 2 of these:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4210293&cc=1501995&jnid=417&jpid=5

Received the parts today and they are made in China, disappointing. They have grease fittings, that's why I got them. I'm going to use them and hope for the best, easy enough job so I guess I won't sweat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back