Should new cars burn oil? C-R report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Again, using thinner oils, you exchange fuel burning, for more oil burning. That's not very smart, IMO. New car specs what? 0w20.

Look at that list again, you have it backwards. The engines that are reported as burning more oil are European, mostly specifying thicker oils. The thin-oil engines (US and Japan) aren't on the list for the most part.

I noticed that too. In fact, not one Honda or Toyota is on the list as shown.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: BowNisPar

I concur that some oil consumption is normal...a quart per 750 miles...or more?!

I could see a quart in 750 miles if you're running it FLAT OUT. I mean 100% power, and high-G turns really throwing the oil around in the sump... but not in anything less than that.

But a quart in 6000 miles? Who really cares about that? So you're down to the "add" mark when the OLM goes off?

Now granted, I've been utterly impressed that my 6.4 Hemi goes over 7000 miles and doesn't show measurable loss on the dipstick, no matter how I treat it. As does my 4.7, even when towing.xBut I still wouldn't really care if either of them used a quart per oil change, and I wouldn't bother adding any because they have 7-quart sumps. Even the pushing-200,000 miles 1999 4.0 only uses (and drips) half a quart per 6k. I'm not advocating sloppy engines, but all these people getting worked up about a quart per OCI are just off the edge. As is CR.

The "quart per OCI" argument is valid. I don't sweat that over 6-7k.
But the evidence of a quart per 750 miles is crazy! Who would put up with that around here?

It appears those who either purchase or lease these vehicles and may not be the few BITOG'ers actually paying attention to issues like this put up with it.

With the specified 10k OCI, you could be looking at 13 quarts used per interval. And the dealer would tell you that was 100% A-OK. I would lose it.

Some of us may find this consumption acceptable but many of us do not. If the Japanese, Americans and Koreans can find a way for this not to happen on SN/GF-5, i don't see why the Germans can't. Especially since they require the most "robust" oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Some of us may find this consumption acceptable but many of us do not. If the Japanese, Americans and Koreans can find a way for this not to happen, i don't see why the Germans can not. Especially since they require the most "robust" oils.

Maybe the robust oil requirement is based on knowledge that most of their products will likely be ran repeatedly low on oil level.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
. I wouldn't accept a new car oil burner and I'm positive I could have it covered under warranty one way or another.

Blessing in disguise: If you burn at the rate of adding at least 3 quarts of oil between changes, then don't change your oil. Saves you that trouble! Only change the filter every 10k miles or so. Change your oil completely every 3 or 4 years to be sure though.

It would be a curse for me. A new car that burns oil would drive me out of my freakin mind!

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
Originally Posted By: wemay
Some of us may find this consumption acceptable but many of us do not. If the Japanese, Americans and Koreans can find a way for this not to happen, i don't see why the Germans can not. Especially since they require the most "robust" oils.

Maybe the robust oil requirement is based on knowledge that most of their products will likely be ran repeatedly low on oil level.

I would go into OCD overdrive if my new car burned oil like this.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Again, using thinner oils, you exchange fuel burning, for more oil burning. That's not very smart, IMO. New car specs what? 0w20.

Look at that list again, you have it backwards. The engines that are reported as burning more oil are European, mostly specifying thicker oils. The thin-oil engines (US and Japan) aren't on the list for the most part.

Kind of baffling, given that there are known years of oil-burning Corolla's and Camry's (fortunately mine is not among them). CR bias? Naaahhh....

Or Ford ...

CR stats methodology is very broad. They're looking at % of vehicles that needed a quart or more top up between oil changes. The Germans typically have longer oil change intervals (10K miles or so). Needing a quart of oil in 10K miles maybe isn't great, but I wouldn't necessarily call it excessive either. Now, if you're burning several quarts during an OCI, that's excessive, IMO.

One of the most interesting trends I see is Subaru's. Did something major change between 2012 and 2013 with their engines? I know Subaru's oil consumption issues are discussed here periodically, but I'm not up to speed on the details. If they made engineering changes in 2013, it appears that they may have gotten traction on those...

Our '04 Cayenne S went thru a qt. every 4k. It had a 9qt. sump so not a big deal.

Our '10 Q5 v6 hasn't burned a drop between OCI's

Seems like with everything there are always extremes.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If they made engineering changes in 2013, it appears that they may have gotten traction on those...

Or it just takes a few years for these oil consumption issues to surface up?

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Kind of baffling, given that there are known years of oil-burning Corolla's and Camry's (fortunately mine is not among them). CR bias? Naaahhh....

The date range is 2010 to 2014. Do the Corollas or Camrys burn oil in those years burn oil?

Originally Posted By: typ901

That's great as these older 3.2 engines were in fact known for burning their fair share. Any issues with carbon deposits on yours?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: typ901

That's great as these older 3.2 engines were in fact known for burning their fair share. Any issues with carbon deposits on yours?

Not yet for the carbon. Like yours, the Q5 is my wife's and she is not afraid to move briskly in traffic. I keep the OCI's shorter at 6k, and I purchased some Valvoline MST 5w-40 which is supposed to help prevent further build-up, but not 100% the mid-saps will help anything, but will make me fell better!

We stick to a 10 year cycle for our cars, so 5 more to go!

I don't see why some people are bashing CR over this. I think we've all read posts here on bitog about Subarus and some other models burning oil.

I was just reading a thread on this article on another forum and many of the German car owners were saying this list includes known oil burners.

It seems like this is an issue for some brands and engines, even if not every engine owner experiences it.

My VW and Nissan don't burn any appreciable amounts of oil, but neither of them are on this list, either.

I'd rather have the forged pistons and use more oil. We have a fundamental lack of understanding on this forum.

Nowhere on the planet will you find a group that is so ocd about oil consumption.

You have cast pistons which are the weakest which expand the least. You can run a tighter skirt clearance. The next level is hypereutectic pistons which is stronger but expands more. The strongest piston is forged but expands the most and the loosest side clearance 4-6 thousand's.

I'd settle for more oil consumption with a stronger rotating assembly.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
I feel bad for the German car industry. This report was probably final nail in the coffin for them. All those potential buyers of 5 and 7 series will be pushed towards Camry after they read this article.

Germans don't care about CR report!
They drive their cars, not like us driving like nannies.....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
CR stats methodology is very broad. They're looking at % of vehicles that needed a quart or more top up between oil changes. The Germans typically have longer oil change intervals (10K miles or so). Needing a quart of oil in 10K miles maybe isn't great, but I wouldn't necessarily call it excessive either. Now, if you're burning several quarts during an OCI, that's excessive, IMO.

Also don't many of the german cars have dash board oil level monitoring? Ignorance is bliss for many car owners, and probably many cars do burn a quart over a longish OCI, but if you never check the dipstick, you never need to add any oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back