gallon synthetic ps fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
somewhere I saw a mention of reasonably priced synthetic power steering fluid in gallon size jugs. Needed for Volvo 240 and Dodge Dakota. Seems to be a debate as to best PS for Volvo. Anyway, thoughts? thought wal mart had but didn't find. Thanks.

In the older Volvos like your 240 you should use ATF. The manual probably says something like Type F, but I would use something like Amsoil synthetic universal ATF or Valvoline MaxLife. The newer Volvos should use the lighter viscosity Pentosin for the power steering, but not for your old brick.
I would think your Dakota should use ATF as well. That is what I use in my Dodge Ram.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
I would think your Dakota should use ATF as well. That is what I use in my Dodge Ram.

My 01 Dakota was one of the last to use Clear/Amber color P/S fluid meeting Chrysler spec MS 5931. Valvoline Power Steering Fluid Quart Part# 602241.0 UPC 74130-79089-6 meets this spec. Oh also, as requested, available in 1 gallon, AAP Part No. 799222.

Chrysler says you can completely flush and replace with ATF+4 (MS 9602).

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/19-005-03.htm

Does not matter what your Dodge came with from the factory. Their is a TSB from around 2003 I think telling all dealerships to switch all vechiles of to ATF+4 I think it was when servicing the system. It cited better cold and hot weather performance and better resistance to oxidation.

If your fluid is 14 years old it has to be beat to heck unless it has been serviced before. PS systems do not have filtration and the cooling is hit or miss in terms of effectiveness. The lines break down and dump their material into the fluid under insane pressure levels.

I have used Redline C+ in Dodges to great effect. The most amazing difference is in the winter. Any good synthetic ATF will work well.

I know nothing about Volov's power steering systems so I have no advice for you on the volvo.

I went 13 years on the original fluid with no problems, just an occasional drain and fill. I used the Valvoline MS 5931 spec for its first full flush and no problems. 14 years and still the original rack and P/S pump. Going to replace the hoses soon "just because".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back