Honda Fit suspension freshening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Fit has a weepy rear shock. That was diagnosed by a shop I trust during annual state inspection. The wife also says it's handling odd despite a new set of Michelin Premiers on it. It has 92k miles, so the suspension has led a decent life. A new set of struts/shocks seems to be in order. The suspension is a simple Mac strut/twist beam affair, and only toe is adjustable on the front.

RockAuto has Monroe OESpectrum, Gabriel Ultra, and KYB Excel-G available. I'm leaning toward the Monroes due to hearing good things about them. Anything else I should be paying attention to while under the car?

I would go with the KYBs. The cheaper Monroes wont last as long and the Gabriels will be a great updgrade but might result in a more stiff ride.

It should not be toast yet. Slight weep in the rear is not a big deal. Your alignment OK. I recall mine dint hold an alignment too well - very basic, wimpy strut setup with no brake force reaction rods in the front.

Whatever you get, pay attention to the bump stops. Probably the Fit is a car that uses them quite a bit.
When I did the springs/struts on my Neon, I put in some taller progressive rate bump stops in and they really helped it out. Stayed flatter and would handle railroad crossings with ease to the point of catching air without a harsh hit.
I did put KYB struts in the back and they handled a higher rate spring quite well.
Probably a Fit forum would have some guys that can recommend which brand strut you want for the intended use. I want some sport on the cheap, so I always get KYB.

Is the suspension making any noise over bumps? I think the Fit doesn't have the vertical compliance bushing like in most other Hondas, but it might be worth checking to see if they're cracked or worn, it can lead to odd handling. Probably time to check the end links and sway bar bushings too!

I, too, have heard a lot of good things about the Monroe OESpectrum dampers. A number of folks on Ridgeline forums have used them and report very positive results. I'm looking at them as replacements for the OEM dampers on our MDX.

I bought Monroe OESpectrum for my Sonata and they were clearly supplied by the OEM sopplier. They were identical down to the last detail to the original shocks/struts and were made in Korea just like the originals.

They were also too squishy for my tastes, just like the originals.

So, if you liked the original shocks/struts, then OESpectrum could be a good choice.

Honda doesn't use Monroe as a supplier for that application.

I would highly recommend going with the Genuine Honda shocks on Honda's. Their absorbers seem to work and last very well compared to the typical aftermarket options.

Whatever you do, avoid the KYB excel-g stuff -- the most recent ones that come in a black housing perform terribly IME.

The OE Honda shocks were probably made by KYB. Too bad nobody makes quick struts for your car though
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The OE Honda shocks were probably made by KYB. Too bad nobody makes quick struts for your car though
frown.gif

I doubt that's the case - Honda shocks are generally not from KYB. I think Showa is the supplier.

Quick struts use generic hardware - they're really a last resort option.

I've got the KYB excel-g's in each corner of the Mazda in my sig and they're great so far.

One thing - as cool as rock auto is, I would get the parts on amazon; rock auto will cost you a penny to ship! There should be at least one amazon seller with free shipping.

Yes, I think Honda uses Showa as its damper supplier pretty consistently. I can't complain myself -- our Acura still has the original front and rear dampers. Our CR-V still has the original rear dampers, and would likely still have the original front ones, too, if the dealer didn't misdiagnose a simple brake pad rattle as bad struts!

Japanese built Hondas typically get their OE shocks/struts from Showa.

NA built ones are US made KYBs.

I personally would go with Monroe OE Spectrum. I don't believe in KYB nor Gabriel anymore.

Stay away from garbage such as Leacree or sensen. A total waste of your RE&RE time and money.

Alternatively, you can never go wrong with going back to OE replacements. They are priced fairly reasonable IMO.

Q.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Whatever you get, pay attention to the bump stops. Probably the Fit is a car that uses them quite a bit.
When I did the springs/struts on my Neon, I put in some taller progressive rate bump stops in and they really helped it out. Stayed flatter and would handle railroad crossings with ease to the point of catching air without a harsh hit.
I did put KYB struts in the back and they handled a higher rate spring quite well.
Probably a Fit forum would have some guys that can recommend which brand strut you want for the intended use. I want some sport on the cheap, so I always get KYB.

I extended the bump stops in the front of my Jeep. So there isn't much uptravel any more. I have to make them smaller ... I hit a set of railroad tracks at speed the other day (30-40 MPH) and it went airborne. Also did it on a heave in the road. Scary stuff!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I doubt that's the case - Honda shocks are generally not from KYB. I think Showa is the supplier.

Many US-made Hondas do use KYB as OE, including the 8th gen Civic. Quick struts are awesome and the first choice for a simple replacement (that is, not a performance upgrade like Bilstein HD). SO much easier and quicker, far from the last resort.

frown.gif

It is Showa, they also make the rack and pinions for the Ohio-made Honda's. I've been in the factory.

Many US-made Hondas do use KYB as OE, including the 8th gen Civic. Quick struts are awesome and the first choice for a simple replacement (that is, not a performance upgrade like Bilstein HD). SO much easier and quicker, far from the last resort.

Really? How does anyone know that the spring rate is correct/accurate, or that the subcomponents are up to OE spec?

Shipping on RA was $12 for all 4 corners. Surprised the daylights out of me.

I'll check out some online Honda parts places too. No complaints about the OEM struts/shocks when they were new, so going OEM again is always an option.

EDIT: Scratch OEM, that is expensive! Between shipping increases and pricier parts, it's another $150 to go OEM.

Last edited:
I would give Chris at Redshift motorsports a call. He can make you quick struts with Koni dampers and new Honda OEM hardware. http://store.redshiftmotorsports.com/category-s/110.htm
He is in PA so you would get them quick and he use to work for Honda and knows his stuff. That is what I did when I replaced the suspension on my Civic.
Honda uses a a lot of Showa parts because they own Showa.

Honda doesn't use Monroe as a supplier for that application.

When I bought the OESpectrum shocks/struts for my Hyundai it appears they were just being marketed by Monroe. The OE shocks were made by Mando and the ones being sold by Monroe were clearly made by Mando.

Obviously I can't speak for every application, but in my case Monroe was selling a rebadged product from the OE supplier as their OESpectrum line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back