Shouldn't this be on clearance by now? (Ultra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the old label and the label date says 2010. This is advanced auto. The manager told me that she's sure it's brand new and only been there since this year.

HyBhDX3

HqCP7zH

I have no idea why the hyperlink didn't work.

http://imgur.com/HyBhDX3
http://imgur.com/HqCP7zH

Last edited:
Another reason I never shop at parts chains,they always have overpriced ancient outdated stock.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
It's old for sure....

I told her I was looking for pennzoil ultra and all they had was the old stuff. I showed her the date. She was adamant that it hasn't been there for 5 years.

Her reasoning was that they must be using up old bottles. lol

Most of the quaker state AD said 2011.

I thought conventional oils separated into paraffin wax over the years?

Same issue all the time with PU 0w40 for the SRT. All that's on the shelves is the old stuff, so I continue to buy M1 0w40. Which I probably would even if the new PUP 0w40 were there, but I might at least try the newer stuff...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Another reason I never shop at parts chains,they always have overpriced ancient outdated stock.

I swing by a few and check for clearance stuff.

The only reason I'm running m1 ep in my ram is because of the $1 a quart deal from autozone.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Same issue all the time with PU 0w40 for the SRT. All that's on the shelves is the old stuff, so I continue to buy M1 0w40. Which I probably would even if the new PUP 0w40 were there, but I might at least try the newer stuff...

You would think when stuff doesn't sell that they would do the only thing that will make it sell.

Drop the price. Why would I buy 5 year old oil for the same price as stuff bottled this year?

So they were supposedly using old bottles?

No manager believes such a stupid line of nonsense. She thought that you might believe it, which means she does not respect you as a customer.

Originally Posted By: Justin251

I thought conventional oils separated into paraffin wax over the years?

No. They are very stable. Most oil is "liquid paraffin" and nutting wrong with that.
Though generally diesters are likely a better synthetic lubricant
smile.gif

Last edited:
The joke is on you. Cletus, you dipstick! You're looking at the copyright date on the label. The date on the bottle is stamped May 23, 2014. LMAO!!!

On the other hand though, you're fishing for them to put stuff on sale.

What's wrong with if you don't like the price just walk away and be done with it, versus trying to negotiate into a price you like.

If you bring up respect, seems like it goes in a vicious cycle where if one doesn't respect the store's pricing, very easy for the store's employees to not give back respect to bargainers who only buy things when it's on sale.

The lame excuse that the bottles are old is the softer way to weasel out of the direct confrontation of saying straight to your face "no, i'm not going to discount this for you, ya cheap bast@rd"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
The joke is on you. Cletus, you dipstick! You're looking at the copyright date on the label. The date on the bottle is stamped May 23, 2014. LMAO!!!

this guy is right too.

Yeah I'm actually kind of confused how it was read anything different. lol

I was thinking my AAP still had this Euro stuff too, but Ill admit I cant see the actual date on the bottle. Lol.

Oreilly here still stocks the old VWB that has a picture of the piston on the front label. Labels peeling and faded out.

If parts chains expect customers to pay $10 a quart for oil,it should be brand new current fresh stock at least.

I noticed some T6 with a rebate sticker that expired in 2013, the funny thing is the store (Autozone) was only built recently. Now I have to go back and find a date on the bottle!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
On the other hand though, you're fishing for them to put stuff on sale.

What's wrong with if you don't like the price just walk away and be done with it, versus trying to negotiate into a price you like.

If you bring up respect, seems like it goes in a vicious cycle where if one doesn't respect the store's pricing, very easy for the store's employees to not give back respect to bargainers who only buy things when it's on sale.

The lame excuse that the bottles are old is the softer way to weasel out of the direct confrontation of saying straight to your face "no, i'm not going to discount this for you, ya cheap bast@rd"

Thanks for the insult.

I'm not fishing for anything. If it's on sale I buy it because I am cheap.

I asked because it's years old. Only reason. There's a completely new bottle, label, and formulation out now. This literally isn't made anymore to my knowledge.

My post was more about them not caring to move any stock.

Sharp eye! I never seen that. Took me a min here on my phone too.

I looked at the bottle for a good 2 to 3 min looking for that exact thinthing in the store. I flipped it over looking at the certifications and that's when I saw the 2010.

Doh. That's why I posted it here. I knew someone would figure out why.

I think she was genuine now. She even looked at it.

Last edited:
I commend you on trying to get a good deal Justin. It never hurts to ask. Alot of times simply asking a question can save you $$. Only a fool would *not* ask and open up his wallet and empty the entire contents if you're not completely sure. Absolutely nothing wrong with looking for a bargain and trying to save money.

I found some SJ rated Castrol Syntec 5W50 at Sears awhile back (my 1996 Nissan is specd to use SJ rated oil,so that right there will tell you how old it is). The labels were almost whited out and faded from the sun. They were the old square bottles with what were once orange labels. I asked if they would mark it down,and I'd buy their entire stock. Price they gave me,$9 a quart! It's still sitting there to this day haha!

Now concerning oil production dates,afaik all Sopus oils (Pennzoil,Shell,Quaker State) have "born on dates" on the back of the bottle at the very bottom.

Yeah. The date is easier to see in the pic than in person. Both me and the manager missed it.

I don't have anything that takes a 40 weight.

I've seen ultra at autozone and once at Walmart with the new labels. When I looked at the back it said 2010 and that's why I inquired.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back