2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Eneos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch you tube videos off sheetz wifi.

Thanks for calling me a clown and assuming I would drive like that without even asking if it that's what I do. You sound like a guy that jumps to conclusions with his foot in his mouth.

Well I put the comparison link in the thread you posted. That will show you best since there are pictures of filtration, and specs on that link for almost all the filters that fit on the lancer/mirage/evo but for filtration is what I would base my comparison off of for the Mitsubishi filter vs any other brand they tested. 50% efficent at 40um (visible to naked eye)
vs Amsoil 99% efficent at 20um some where between a red blood cell and a white blood cell for size

Size Chart:

Diameter of average human hair 70μm
Lower limit of visibility (naked eye) 40μm
White blood cells 25μm
Talcum powder 10μm
Red blood cells 8μm
Bacteria 2μm
Carbon black 0.6μm
Tobacco smoke 0.5μm

Hastings
Manufacturer: Hastings
Part Number: LF402
Media Type: Cellulose
Micron Rating: 18μm Nominal
By-pass Valve Rating: 18-20psi
Flow Rate: 5gpm
Burst Pressure: 200psi
Media Surface Area: 120sq in
Pleat Count: 45
Drain Back Value Material: Nitrile
Country of Manufacture: USA

vs

WIX
Manufacturer: WIX
Part Number: 57092
Micron Rating: 20μm Nominal
By-pass Valve Rating: 14psi
Flow Rate: 9-11gpm
Burst Pressure: 330psi
Media Surface Area: 120 sq in
Pleat Count: 46
Country of Manufacture: Mexico

vs

Royal Purple
Manufacturer: Champion Laboratories
Part Number: 10-2867
Media Type: Synthetic
Micron Rating: 25μm Nominal
By-pass Valve Rating: 11-17psi
Burst Pressure: 600psi
Media Surface Area: 72sq in
Pleat Count: 32

vs

AMSOIL
Part Number: Ea046 (deprecated)
Media Type: Nano-Fiber (Donaldson Synteq media)
Micron Rating: 20μm Absolute
Media Surface Area: 77 sq in
Pleat Count: 35

vs

The DENOS (Mitsubishi OEM)

Mitsubishi
Manufacturer: DENSO
Part Number: 150-1010 (Mitsubishi# MZ690116)
Micron Rating: 40μm Nominal
By-pass Valve Rating: 13psi
Flow Rate: *UNKNOWN*
Burst Pressure: *UNKNOWN*
Media Surface Area: 109 sq in
Pleat Count: 43
Drain Back Value Material: Silicone
Country of Manufacture: Thailand

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
Well I put the comparison link in the thread you posted. That will show you best since there are pictures of filtration, and specs on that link for almost all the filters that fit on the lancer/mirage/evo but for filtration is what I would base my comparison off of for the Mitsubishi filter vs any other brand they tested. 50% efficent at 40um (visible to naked eye)
vs Amsoil 99% efficent at 20um some where between a red blood cell and a white blood cell for size

Size Chart:

Diameter of average human hair 70μm
Lower limit of visibility (naked eye) 40μm
White blood cells 25μm
Talcum powder 10μm
Red blood cells 8μm
Bacteria 2μm
Carbon black 0.6μm
Tobacco smoke 0.5μm

Hastings
Manufacturer: Hastings
Part Number: LF402
Micron Rating: 18μm Nominal
By-pass Valve Rating: 18-20psi
Flow Rate: 5gpm
Burst Pressure: 200psi
Media Surface Area: 120sq in
Pleat Count: 45

vs

WIX
Part Number: 57092
Micron Rating: 20μm Nominal
Media Surface Area: 120 sq in
Pleat Count: 46

vs

Royal Purple
Manufacturer: Champion Laboratories
Part Number: 10-2867
Media Type: Synthetic
Micron Rating: 25μm Nominal
By-pass Valve Rating: 11-17psi
Burst Pressure: 600psi
Media Surface Area: 72sq in
Pleat Count: 32

vs

AMSOIL
Part Number: Ea046 (deprecated)
Media Type: Nano-Fiber (Donaldson Synteq media)
Micron Rating: 20μm Absolute
Media Surface Area: 77 sq in
Pleat Count: 35

vs

The DENOS (Mitsubishi OEM)

Mitsubishi
Manufacturer: DENSO
Part Number: 150-1010 (Mitsubishi# MZ690116)
Micron Rating: 40μm Nominal
By-pass Valve Rating: 13psi
Flow Rate: *UNKNOWN*
Burst Pressure: *UNKNOWN*
Media Surface Area: 109 sq in
Pleat Count: 43
Drain Back Value Material: Silicone
Country of Manufacture: Thailand

Very interesting! I don't know how I missed that..

I wonder if Mitsubishi is aware of these facts.
With 40um particles in the oil, I wonder how the little 3A92 could make it through the warranty period, or even make it to it's first service at 7500 miles.

Alex,
That 42+ MPG average sounds great to me.
The Mirage used to be a rare sight, but lately I'm seeing some.
It's a great vehicle for it's intended purpose.

Any reputable 0W20 and filter will serve you well enough, and when lost in the maze of oil/filter choices, you are safe defaulting to the factory specified items.

If you did nothing more than spin on a new MZ690072 Denso filter, and replace the Mitsubishi 0W20 every 3750-7500(per manual),that little 3A92 would have a long productive life.

Regarding Sustina, a brand new car and somehow an extra $20 every 7500 is a deal breaker? Really?? [censored]
If Sustina does nothing more than make you feel good about your choice, then it's absolutely worth the price.

Enjoy your Mirage alex !

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: wemay
Yup... he did.

I don't know if it would be far fetched or not to call that a Freudian slip.

After Page 3, i was beginning to think the same same thing.

Originally Posted By: alex16
What? I don't understand what you guys are saying.

Thank you just this tank I got 52.2 mpg

So Far my record is 61.7 with PUP and Royal Purple Filter.

Nice! You must have some level highway haha, my Mirage can get right at 60 mpg with the 5 speed at 55 mph. But as soon as the mountain grades hit me I lose, if I engine off coasted down hills I could break 60 but I don't like start/stopping my engine if I don't have to.

Mathew, are you seeing better numbers with the PUP/RPF ?
Also, have you done any mods to your ES?
5 speed or CVT ?
What kind of day was it when you hit 61.7?
Sorry so many questions, thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: xvturl

Mathew, are you seeing better numbers with the PUP/RPF ?
Also, have you done any mods to your ES?
5 speed or CVT ?
What kind of day was it when you hit 61.7?
Sorry so many questions, thanks in advance.

Yes I have seen better numbers in both my Mitsubishis with the PUP and RP combo. My 2013 Lancer SE and 2015 Mirage ES both have a CVT

Above is my mirage. It's my Fiance's daily Driver so I don't get to drive it much. This is the last time I drove it (June 21st) it's EPA rated for 37 city and I think 43 highway. The only thing I have done to it are PUP 0w20 and RP oil filter.

Above is my 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer SE CVT w/AWC this is from Sunday June 28th. It's EPA rated for 22 city and 29 Highway. I am also using PUP 0w20 and a RP filter on it. I also replaced my air filter with a WIX and cabin filter with a WIX fwiw.

Edit: I also only use Shell V power in both cars. I have seen a slight mpg increase with the new formulation (she'll vpower nitrous +) and I put Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus A/S on my Lancer. (LRR)

Last edited:
Completely
32.gif
..... thank you for not shining your dash.

Ok, back to the subject at hand.

I've noticed on this forum, if the writer has a few thousand posts, they tend to be a little weird. Just ignore them.

Yes I have seen better numbers in both my Mitsubishis with the PUP and RP combo. My 2013 Lancer SE and 2015 Mirage ES both have a CVT.
Edit: I also only use Shell V power in both cars. I have seen a slight mpg increase with the new formulation (she'll vpower nitrous +) and I put Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus A/S on my Lancer. (LRR)

From an engineering and reality-based point of view, there is no way using PUP and an RP oil filter will change much at all compared to any other 0w-20-filter combo.

Biggest contributor by far to fuel economy is oil viscosity, viscous drag inside the engine. You gain about 1 percent or two for every grade you drop down, like 30--->20 for example, or 40--->30, so there is a small benefit there alone.

And Shell gasoline doesn't have any more energy density than Citgo, Conoco, Mobil, etc. gasoline, so you don't get fuel economy increases from that. Sometimes if the octane is higher, you can get more fuel economy from that if your car can sense the knock and adjust timing though, but not in this case. Also, getting gasoline with no alcohol in it does help a bit, and I think its something like a 3% MPG loss for every 10% alcohol mixed in, something like that.

Engine, weight, wind, hills, and driving style are the massive contributors to fuel economy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ExMachina

I've noticed on this forum, if the writer has a few thousand posts, they tend to be a little weird. Just ignore them.

Yes I have seen better numbers in both my Mitsubishis with the PUP and RP combo. My 2013 Lancer SE and 2015 Mirage ES both have a CVT.

From an engineering and reality-based point of view, there is no way using PUP and an RP oil filter will change much at all compared to any other 0w-20-filter combo.

Biggest contributor by far to fuel economy is oil viscosity, viscous drag inside the engine. You gain about 1 percent or two for every grade you drop down, like 30--->20 for example, or 40--->30, so there is a small benefit there alone.

And Shell gasoline doesn't have any more energy density than Citgo, Conoco, Mobil, etc. gasoline, so you don't get fuel economy increases from that. Sometimes if the octane is higher, you can get more fuel economy from that if your car can sense the knock and adjust timing though, but not in this case. Also, getting gasoline with no alcohol in it does help a bit, and I think its something like a 3% MPG loss for every 10% alcohol mixed in, something like that.

Engine, weight, wind, hills, and driving style are the massive contributors to fuel economy.

What about cleanliness? if say you have 30g of deposits per cylinder, that would in theory take more energy to move than a cylinder with, say 8g of deposits. Also, the new Shell Vpower nitros+ has 7x the detergents of that required by the EPA. For a fuel to be "Top Tier" it must have a minimum of (I think) 2x the EPA mandate. So again if the valves are cleaner, it would take less energy, be easier to cool thus making it more efficient. The new shell vpower also claims to have friction reducers in it which would again make things more efficient. I think the argument could be made that oil, fuel and filter will affect gas mileage. Oil affects cleanliness, friction, and heat. Fuel affects cleanliness, friction and wear (according to shell), and different oil filters have different flow rates (which a lower flow rate would require more effort to pump oil), different filtration (If you have particles big enough to see bouncing around in your engine vs something as small as a blood cell, that would affect the amount of friction and heat your engine is dealing with.

Also different brands of oil have very different viscositys. Example, Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w30 is thicker than PP 10w30.

Castrol xp 5w30 viscosity is
10.8 cSt @100*C
45.1 @40*C

PP 10w30 gtl viscosity is
10.3 cSt @100*C
63.3 cSt @40*C

Then you also have to consider how hot it has to be until it starts thinning out.

Ex. Pour point. Castrol xp 5w30 pour point is -39*C and PP 10w30 pour point is -48*C. One must be easier to pump then the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back