Engine Blow By

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
All engines have some blow by. As wear increases so does blow by. Using thicker oil wont do much to improve things.

Wear yes. However a lot of "blow by" problems are caused by ring coking when Dino oils are abused by too long OCIs.

I agree that many cases of blow by is improper ring sealing and not just due to cylinder wear.

I know AutoRX made claims of cleaning ring packs, as for the truth of that I'm not sure. Rings are a difficult area to clean, not a ton of cleaning agent makes it up there and the junk up there is burnt to a crisp.

I know seafoam or pure water down the intake can do wonders for dirty valves, and I think it helps with rings as well. It can't hurt (well it can, but it would require quite a bit of stupidity).

My vote, give seafoam in the intake a try, and run some MMO, Kreen or AutoRX and see what happens. Buy a compression gauge and do before and after results for us to argue over as well!

Engines before about 1960 simply had a pipe coming out of the engine and blow-by was pumped to the atmosphere. I rode the bus down US-66 for six miles to school for eleven years and I recall vividly of watching all the smoke roll out from under the thirties and forties cars while stopped at a light. Some of those vehicles were almost enveloped in gray, smelly smoke which also made its way into the bus Think the "Joads" and "The Grapes of Wrath."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back