Dex-Cool, or something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All three of my vehicles need a coolant flush this summer. A 2008 GM, a 2009 GM and a 2009 Dodge. Can I run a common coolant between all three, or should I be buying Dex for the GM's and something else (like what?) for the Dodge?

Buy a coolant that meets the spec that is recommended in the owner's manual for each. So Dexcool for the GMs is fine, but not the Dodge. If you make sure all of the old coolant is out in the Dodge you can switch it to Dexcool, but it is better to stick with OEM spec'd fluids.

agree. buy a coolant that states it is "Dex cool" equivalent (not a universal coolant) and Zerex G05 for the dodge. I use G05 in my dodges and jeeps.

Originally Posted By: Snoman002
All three of my vehicles need a coolant flush this summer. A 2008 GM, a 2009 GM and a 2009 Dodge. Can I run a common coolant between all three, or should I be buying Dex for the GM's and something else (like what?) for the Dodge?

If you flush all three well you can go to the John Deere dealer and get Coolguard II and run that in all of them.
It doesn't have any trouble with gasket materials and is a long life coolant. I run it in everything and have had no problems, you can buy test strips for it to monitor the condition long term.

If you want one coolant for all three vehicles find some Peak Global Lifetime. It comes in gold bottles and is available in a concentrate or 50/50. Menards sells it.
I owned a Subaru WRX from new to 136K miles. Changed the coolant once at around the 30K mark and never had to add coolant nor did I ever change it again.

I run G-05 in my GM, Ford, and Jeep. Only the Jeep was G-05 originally. No problems so far. I converted the GM 6 years ago, the Ford only last year. I do like the fact that all three now use the same coolant. But it was a hassle to adequately flush the old coolant out the GM and Ford.

I use the OAT universal longlife in all my vehicles. Mostly store brand but some prestone that was a coupon and rebate deal.

Last couple were my Dodge truck and MiLs Toyota. No problems.

I buy DexCool for my parents' vehicles at Napa and their house brand is $9.99 if you order online ahead (concentrate). Good deal and you can't get another type cheaper.

It's not worth the hassle of multiple flushes on either the GMs or the Dodge, IMO, to get all on a common coolant. Unless your flushes are very thorough and multiple, you don't want to introduce a difference chemistry.

I don't mind doing a complete flush with a few full water fills, and would actually like to run a mild cleaner through all of them. The GM's are our babies, and the Dodge is our family hauler likely to run long highway trips, so as long as I'm in there I don't mind doing it right. The ability to not worry about buying a specific coolant if I need some appeals to me.

Should I do thermostats on each of these vehicles? No cooling problems of any sorts on any of them.

Should I do thermostats on each of these vehicles? No cooling problems of any sorts on any of them.

I do and would if I were you, simply because it's the most opportune time to do so.

Originally Posted By: BlindBaby

I do and would if I were you, simply because it's the most opportune time to do so.

+1 Cheap insurance. I would stick with the OEM. I haven't had the best of luck personally with aftermarket thermostats. Also, Peak Global would suit all of your vehicles if you are looking for a universal. Both my GMs have peak and they seem to run just fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back