Older Aft Cabin Diesel Motor Yacht Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi y'all, I live near Chesapeake Bay and am looking to buy an older aft-cabin boat with twin diesels, in the 35-38' range. Price in the $50-80k range. I have a friend with a 38' Hatteras DCMY from the early '70s. I love it but my wife thinks it's too big and slow (~35,000 lbs, 9 knot cruise speed with twin 6v71 Detroits). I looked at an early '80s President 37 with 8-cylinder 4-stroke Detroits. Seemed like a nice layout but the guy wanted too much for it. Also it had a lot of nice wood that would have to be varnished every year or two. Is anybody here familiar with the 37-38' Carver aft cabin that were made in the '80s-'90s? How about the Sea Ray aft cabin from the '90s? I also saw on yactworld.com an early '70s Chris Craft Catalina that seemed like a nice layout, with Ford Lehman diesels that are known to be bulletproof. I want to stay away from Yanmar engines, or anything else problematic.

I couldn't fathom the maintenance and upkeep $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ A survey would be prudent though.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I couldn't fathom the maintenance and upkeep $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ A survey would be prudent though.

That is what I am thinking on something old and big. Cool no doubt though.

OP why not something a bit smaller and newer? Your wife seems to want something a bit faster anyways. I imagine you could pick up a decent 2010ish Sea Ray Sundancer or the like for about 70-80k. Fuel injected Mercruiser engine/s. You'll never be disappointed.

It'd be more manageable too. You could just pull it yourself rather than relying on the marina.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Did you intend to make a pun?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
OP why not something a bit smaller and newer? Your wife seems to want something a bit faster anyways. I imagine you could pick up a decent 2010ish Sea Ray Sundancer or the like for about 70-80k. Fuel injected Mercruiser engine/s. You'll never be disappointed.

It'd be more manageable too. You could just pull it yourself rather than relying on the marina.

I've had "newer and smaller," and that is the opposite of what I want now. I had a 2002 28' Wellcraft cabin cruiser with twin Volvo Penta 4.3L 210hp stern drives. At 9-1/2' of beam that boat was too big to trailer legally. I'm 6'2" and could not find a comfortable berth to sleep on that boat. The aft berth is like sleeping in a coffin, and the air conditioning compressor is close to your head. The v-berth is too short on that boat for someone my size, and too narrow for two people unless they're really short.

Now I want something that four adults can sleep in for a week-long cruise, with plenty of storage. That's why I like the aft cabin design. For you guys who replied, I get the feeling you don't know what I'm talking about. A boat big enough to handle a moderate chop on the Chesapeake; around 18-25k pounds. And I never want another boat with a gas engine unless it's for water skiing, and never with a stern drive. Straight inboard is the only way for me, or an outboard motor if it's small like a Zodiak.

Sounds nice. I have some friends with a Hatteras about that size and sitting up high sure is nice. He has twin DD's.

At 6'4" myself, I feel your pain re: short bunks.

You may have better luck posting this in the boat section! Good luck on your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back