side to side shimmy while braking at highway speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed over the past few months that when I apply a heavier brake at highway speeds that my equinox will vibrate and almost feel like it is shimmying from side to side. It doesn't do this at lower speeds and doesn't happen every time at highway speeds either. I replaced my brakes recently so it is not a warped rotor etc. I even seated the brakes properly. I think it might be something suspension related but wanted to pick the collective BITOG's brain.

It sounds like either uneven deposits of brake material on the rotor(s), or a rotor that is out of true. Check for loose or broken lug studs/bolts, first. Then, loosen them, and tighten them sequentially with a torque wrench. After that, it is a rotor problem.

LCA bushing and/or bad center bearing in the steering shaft amplifying what's already annoying.

I've been battling with this issue on my A6 forever, and it ultimately comes from unbalanced/out of round tires. Start with a roadforce balance and get the values on each tire as low as they can and see what happens.

Move the front tires to the rear and see if it still happens. While you have it in the air check the front end.

OT but- I just did a tire rotation on my 00 Century which drove and stopped perfectly, with no abnormal tire wear. I found I needed an outer tie rod, axle shaft, sway bar, and bushings.

My impala did exactly that when it had warped rotors. GM factory rotors are [censored]. If your rotors are factory original, that is the problem.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
LCA bushing and/or bad center bearing in the steering shaft amplifying what's already annoying.

Yup, check lower control arm or thrust arm bushings for wear.

Originally Posted By: 2sld3kf2bt
My impala did exactly that when it had warped rotors. GM factory rotors are [censored]. If your rotors are factory original, that is the problem.

Unfortunately they are replacements. Duralast Gold rotors. They work really well except for this one issue.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Yup, check lower control arm or thrust arm bushings for wear.

I am going to have to check this out. The LCA for my Equinox is the whole unit with the ball joint. Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: 2sld3kf2bt

Please read any of the bazillion posts about 'warped rotors'. Here's one:
Is brake "warpage" damaging?

Did you rule out tires yet by swapping the rears to the front? Did you have them balance and road force checked? Try the simple and free/cheap things first before shotgunning parts at it.

I went crazy with the shotgun at first and spent a pile of money on parts that did nothing to solve the problem. Don't follow the same expensive learning curve.

Usually a bad balljoint or other loose suspension component will shake after you hit a bump, esp while going around a curve, and the problem goes away when you apply brakes. I'm fairly confident that's not your issue. My first guess would be tires, like others mentioned. You may also have a runout problem with your hub. I'm going to assume it's not rotors because they're new.

Last edited:
^^^If you think it may be a suspension issue due to high miles, accident or incident, have the car aligned. The alignment guy will tell you if you have any bad front end parts.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Maybe front disc brakes where the rotor is a little warped.

+1. That's it. Be sure you use a torque wrench when tightening the lug nuts on all disc brakes. Uneven torque can lead to this problem.

Thanks everybody - I am going to get the car roadforce checked and afterwards re-torque everything down. Hopefully that does the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back