tires slipping on the rim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's sad is anyone with a nub of chalk can go test this theory out and then go back and give the dealer what-for.

A number of thoughts:

1) Perhaps this "slipping" on the rim is an attempt to describe an unusual phenomenon - an abrasion of the wheel by the tire in the rim flange area. I know this is hard to describe - and I'll bet a guy at a car dealership knows that too, so he chose simple, but inaccurate terms - so here goes my description.

And am sure everyone is aware that a tire bulges out at the footprint. That bulging out cause the lower sidewall to roll over the rim flange, where it normally does not contact the flange. There is also front to rear motion in this area (back and forth), so the overall motion is VERY complex.

SOMETIMES, the tire abrades the rim alloy wheel on the flange and creates little shards of metal - and that causes a noise that sounds a lot like grinding.

I have always attributed that to faulty alloy heat treatment of the wheel as it seems to be related more to the vehicle make and model than the tire make and model. I do know Cadillac had such a problem on one of their wheels - and apparently that dealership is somewhat aware of this.

To verify, there are 2 methods:

a) Inflate the tires to high pressure and see if the noise goes away. If it does, then it is likely the tire is abrading the wheel.

What this is doing is reducing the amount of the tire that is rolling over the rim flange. I can't remember what pressure the Cadillac TSB called for but I think it was 50 psi. This was just for the test, not for usage.

What may also happen is that this test will cure the problem for a short time (after the pressure is returned to normal), but the noise comes back.

b) Dismount a tire and see what the wheel and tire look like in that area. If the tech is really on top of this, he will look at the bead area of both the tire and the wheel immediately debeading the tire and he may see the metal flakes.

FIX? I think this is a wheel problem, but many folks think it is a tire problem. Changing brands of either the tires or the wheels has been done with success.

2) There are a lot of things that can cause tires to slip on the rims - low air pressure, silicone lube, very slick rim flange, sudden application of torque .......

In drag racing, the primary problem is low inflation pressure. Not much you can do about that, except to use screws to secure the bead.

I have experienced rim slippage using silicone lube in place of normal tire mounting lube. If that is the case, then the tire has to be dismounted and BOTH the tire and the wheel have to be carefully cleaned using alcohol.

Thanks for that explanation and information CapriRacer!

I got my car back yesterday and it is no longer making the noise. At least not for the time being. Here's what the notes on the service invoice say:

"TEST DROVE AND HEARD MINOR WHEEL TO TIRE CONTACT. REMOVED WHEELS AND CLEANED SEALING SURFACE AREA. REMOUNTED TIRED AND TEST DROVE AFTER. NOISE IS LESS. RECOMMEND TIRE REPLACEMENT IF NOISE GETS WORSE. CUSTOMER WAS RECOMMENDED TIRES TO CORRECT NOISE. CUSTOMER DECLINED NEW TIRES AND SERVICE REMOUNTED TIRES TO CORRECT NOISE AS BEST POSSIBLE FIX."

This was the conclusion not just from the dealer, but also GM's Technical Assistance Center (TAC) who the dealer contacted and involved in the issue.

I guess time will tell. Crazy thing is, I asked what tires they'd recommend if I were to replace them. Their recommendation was the exact same tire. [censored]!?

Is is possible that there was a run of rims that ran on the small side of spec, and you've happened to end up with tires that are on the large side of spec causing this ?

I'm curious if the dealer's 'fix' holds up.

This type of tire noise, while not very common, isn't completely unheard of.

If you do a search for bulletin #02-03-10-003, you find this:

02-03-10-003

I was at a tech at a Pontiac/GMC store when this happened. I'd do three cars a day: Remove front tires, hit the bead with a ScotchBrite pad, spray a little rattle-can clear coat on the bead, re-mount and balance the tires.

Until Goodyear began warrantying the tires, that's all that could be done short of replacing them at the customer's expense.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

02-03-10-003

I was at a tech at a Pontiac/GMC store when this happened. I'd do three cars a day: Remove front tires, hit the bead with a ScotchBrite pad, spray a little rattle-can clear coat on the bead, re-mount and balance the tires.

Until Goodyear began warrantying the tires, that's all that could be done short of replacing them at the customer's expense.

What was it about the tires that caused this problem?
Did Goodyear replace the tires?
Did Goodyear send tires to you or do the work in their own stores?

I have noticed, for whatever cause, a lot of rim flange wear on some wheels. It is kind of scary to see how thin the wheel can wear from friction of the tire bead eating the wheel. And, I wonder why bead leaks are a problem? Some wheels never show that issue, while some have a serrated wear pattern all the way around.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

What was it about the tires that caused this problem?
Did Goodyear replace the tires?
Did Goodyear send tires to you or do the work in their own stores?

There was a visible design change. The original tires had a serrated band all the way round the tire, just above the bead, called GG grooves. The replacements did not. The policy applied to both Eagle RS-A and Eagle LS tires, but I only ever remember replacing RS-A... lots and lots of them.

Goodyear replaced both front tires. GM paid to clean the rim flange while the tires were off. Of course, only replacing two tires means that when the tires were rotated, the new tires went to the back and the old, potentially noisy, tires came back up front. Astute customers eventually got a full set.

We did this in-house. Tires came from whatever Goodyear distributor our parts department worked with.

Originally Posted By: Traction
I have noticed, for whatever cause, a lot of rim flange wear on some wheels. It is kind of scary to see how thin the wheel can wear from friction of the tire bead eating the wheel. And, I wonder why bead leaks are a problem? Some wheels never show that issue, while some have a serrated wear pattern all the way around.

Yes!

I chased rim leaks all over my last DD. Every time the tires came off, there was an uncanny amount of rubber that had transferred from the tire bead to the wheel.

MrHorspwer,

Thanks for that. Allow to expand this a bit.

In the early days of alloy medium truck wheels and radial tires, many alloy wheels would develop what we called "fretting" - abrasion of the rim flange by the tire. There was considerable debate about what the cause was - mostly because it was tire manufacturers vs wheel manufacturers. Since it appeared to be only a few wheel manufacturers and most of the tire manufacturers, it was kind of decided to ignore the problem since nothing serious seemed to come of it.

Fast forward a few decades and passenger car wheels and tires are experiencing the same symptoms. Again, it appears the problem is isolated to specific wheels on specific cars - which coincidentally, come with specific tires. Again, much debate - mostly because the tire manufacturers do their own warranty, but the car manufacturer warrants the wheels.

This popped up several times on different cars with different wheels and different tires. The conclusion I came to was there must be something about the wheels, because the tire manufacturer I worked for wasn't designing the bead area any differently, and only had problems with specific wheels - AND - there were different brands of tire involved. To add further credence, switching brands of tires didn't always solve the problem.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

02-03-10-003

Thanks! That is a very accurate description of what I experienced.

Since getting my car back on Friday, everything has seemed fine and no noise heard. But time will tell. I don't know how long the "fix" will hold up.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Thanks! That is a very accurate description of what I experienced.

Since getting my car back on Friday, everything has seemed fine and no noise heard. But time will tell. I don't know how long the "fix" will hold up.

Prediction: The problem will be back. The dealer will recommend new tires of the same kind - because GM doesn't want their dealers using non-OE tires - and that won't work either.

In desperation, the Cadillac dealer will try a different brand tire, and that MIGHT work as the way the lower sidewall interacts with the flange might be different. But in no case will the Cadillac dealer talk about swapping wheels - either to the same wheels or wheels from a different, but compatible vehicle - and I think that's the solution most likely to actually fix the problem.

What I think SHOULD happen - but won't - is GM should do a study of wheels with different heat treatments and alloys. That way they will know what properties to spec so this problem doesn't occur in future products. This has been suggested before, but fell on deaf ears.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

What I think SHOULD happen - but won't - is GM should do a study of wheels with different heat treatments and alloys. That way they will know what properties to spec so this problem doesn't occur in future products. This has been suggested before, but fell on deaf ears.

Indeed, GM is well aware of the problem. I had a 1992 GMC Typhoon (look it up - really amazing vehicle). When pulling away from a stop sign in a spirited manner, I spun the wheels inside all four tires. Two tires went flat immediately and the other two just lost some air. GM's solution was to replace all four wheels and tires, but I doubt that solved the problem. I traded the truck soon after because of a myriad of other issues, mostly vibrations in the drivetrain.

Prediction: The problem will be back.

It's back. Not (yet) as bad as it was previously, but nonetheless.

I have a call in to my Service Advisor to see what he'd recommend in terms of escalation. I'll be [censored] if I'm going to pay for a set of new OE tires as the "solution". Time to be a squeaky wheel (pun intended) in Cadillac's ear.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Did you ever mark on the rim where the valve stem is and drive to see if it moves?
I meant mark on the tire*

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Did you ever mark on the tire where the valve stem is and drive to see if it moves?

No, I haven't. Honestly, I don't think I'd see anything. The tire can't truly slip much or I'd be able to tell by looking at the valve stems. I don't think "slip" is really the right description. I believe the Service Bulletin that MrHorspwer posted a link to is most accurate. "a noise from the front of the vehicle during low speed cornering, braking and parking lot maneuvers. This condition may be caused by raised ribs on the tire sidewall contacting the rim flange and creating an audible noise"

It's back. Not (yet) as bad as it was previously, but nonetheless.....

Boy, that didn't take long. I was thinking it would be a couple of weeks before it came back.

........I have a call in to my Service Advisor to see what he'd recommend in terms of escalation. I'll be [censored] if I'm going to pay for a set of new OE tires as the "solution". Time to be a squeaky wheel (pun intended) in Cadillac's ear.

I hope by Service Advisor, you mean the District Service manager - a guy who works for GM (not the dealership) who takes on these continuing problems that dealerships can't seem to fix.

If that is the case, I would suggest you show him this thread. I am familiar with the problem, having dealt with it before on several occasions with different vehicle manufacturers - which is why I think it's a problem with the wheel heat treatment.

As an aside: None of the vehicle manufacturers wanted to deal with the problem being wheels because it was easier and cheaper to blame it on the tire manufacturers and have them do the warranty - except the problem never goes away if you keep doing the same thing over and over. Wheels are expensive and recalling wheels would be really, really, really expensive. Cheaper to do tires!

I would also suggest to him that he replace the wheels with something from another type of vehicle - BUT - keep the same exact tires - not the same make and model, but the tires that are on there now! What wheels he should be looking for are from a different wheel manufacturer, but otherwise the same diameter, width, and offset.

When those tires are dismounted from the old wheels, the tires should be cleaned in the bead area to remove all the old shards of metal. This may require a bit of extra work on the part of the tech, but the purpose is to assure that the problem doesn't start up based on that material being there.

If he wants, he can do a back to back where he takes another new set of wheels and tires, and see how long it takes for the problem to first appear. I predict it will take a while, but once it starts, it doesn't take too long for it to return.

Also, if he wants, he can reach me through my website - Barry's Tire Tech. I'm pretty sure I know how to identify what is going on.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I have a call in to my Service Advisor to see what he'd recommend in terms of escalation.

I hope by Service Advisor, you mean the District Service manager - a guy who works for GM (not the dealership) who takes on these continuing problems that dealerships can't seem to fix.

I'm starting with my Service Advisor. He's pretty knowledgeable and has been a good advocate for me through all the problems I've had with this vehicle. He actually had (past tense) the same year ATS with the same wheels and tires and experienced the problem himself. It sounds like they replaced his tires, which might have been done unofficially.

This is mainly a courtesy, as I respect the guy and appreciate all that he's done for me. I wouldn't want to go over his head and for it to somehow reflect poorly on him. But I intend to request that it be escalated to the Service Manager and that he escalate it to the District guy who deals with such things. Though my issues a couple years ago were escalated to him and I won't credit him for getting anything done.

That's where contacting Cadillac Customer Care and officially registering an issue will come into play, along with posting in the Cadillac forum(s) which I know they monitor. I also have the contact information for the Brand Quality Manager of the ATS and he's the one that got stuff done last time.

And just so everyone who is following this thread understands:

What I am describing is NOT the tire slipping on the rim. What I am describing is the tire wearing the rim flange away and creating small shards of metal that create a kind of crunching sound as the vehicle rolls.

barlowc,

I see you are in SE Mich. How close to Detroit are you? Do you have any connections to GM Corporate - particularly Milford? That maybe of help.

Also, is your goal merely to solve your immediate problem, or would you also like to solve the bigger issue - namely that there are wheels out there that are causing this issue and GM needs to find out how to prevent this from happening in the first place?

Last edited:
barlowc,

I see you are in SE Mich. How close to Detroit are you? Do you have any connections to GM Corporate - particularly Milford? That maybe of help.

Also, is your goal merely to solve your immediate problem, or would you also like to solve the bigger issue - namely that there are wheels out there that are causing this issue and GM needs to find out how to prevent this from happening in the first place?

I am close to Detroit/Warren/Milford where GM has most of their major facilities. The Cadillac Brand Quality Manager that I mentioned works out of Warren. He and a couple of engineers went to the dealer I had my car at two years ago to look at the radio/infotainment and steering gear problems I was having then.

My goal is solve the problem with my car. I'm 11K miles from being out of warranty and that scares me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back