Removing tire crayon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I marked my tires with tire crayon "LF" "LR" etc this past fall, and put into the shed. This spring they went on; it's been a few months, 3k and a few rains later. Crayon is still bright as ever. I washed the truck, and tried to use the bug gut sponge to remove the cayon; nada. What might be good to remove this crayon?

Next time I'm marking the inside of the tire.... duh. For years I just used a ball point pen, that worked just fine. I might go back that instead.

I just mark them on the tread. Gone in a few miles.
smile.gif

Sorry, no idea...maybe take it to a detail shop?

I'd hit it with IPA but they are Michelin and I'd hate to do anything that might make 'em crack faster, which I would assume alcohol would do. Right now I just ignore it, but it would be nice to not have.

Tire crayon or grease marker. When I bought the cap for the truck the yard had used similar to mark a window. Took forever to scrape that off with a razor blade. I remember putting the marks onto the tires, the shop had a nice marker, way better than the crayon I got for home. But it appears their crayon is too good!

Originally Posted By: Rand
why not mark the inside or tread?

maybe some fine sandpaper.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense now, did not think of that at the time. Gotta learn somehow.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
WD40 or Goo Gone. WD40 is not much of a lubricant, but it is perfect for this sort of thing.
+1

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
WD40 or Goo Gone. WD40 is not much of a lubricant, but it is perfect for this sort of thing.

I'd rather sand off .001 of the rubber than put a solvent on the tire.

Originally Posted By: supton

Yeah, that makes perfect sense now, did not think of that at the time. Gotta learn somehow.

I think we have all done that in the past.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
This.

Wesley's

Must have been part of a buyout. I've know it for forty years as Wesley's Bleche-White.

I remember my dad using that when I was growing up. The bottle had a pic of a woman with beautiful hair on it next to a car that was 85 feet long.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Rubber cement removes crayon from many other surfaces.

Oh? This I will have to try--the kids at one phase of life decorated some walls here.

This is what I use to clean my tires:

TotallyAwesome.jpg

- The key here is to dilute it at least 1:1 with water. I usually dilute to more like 2:1 or 4:1 to make sure it isn't too strong. Spray on, scrub with a brush, rinse off..

.. and always finish with some kind of tire coating after to provide protection.

First, I would suggest using alcohol.

Second, DO NOT use ANYTHING petroleum based - and that includes WD40. The rubbers used in tires absorb petroleum and change properties because of that absorption - sometimes to the point where they will fail at the original task.

Third, perhaps a bit of sandpaper used lightly, but I would hold that back if the alcohol doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back