Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone of you guys into no-load/low expense mutual funds(am a true believer of diversity)? I used to own as many as 9 funds(overlapping)but cut them down to 3-4 a few years back.

I hold Mutual Beacon Class Z(mid-large cap US/foreign), Bridgeway Ultra Small Cos(really small cap US), USAA S&P 500 Index(US large cap) and USAA Money Market.

Bummer, just calculated only earned about $9.0% on my stock portfolio, and the S&P is just a tad better. This doesn't figure taxs and capitol gains. Looks like they "won" this year. Maybe better next year.

Hope you all did better.

Hey Msparks, we've got two trading days left. The Fat Lady hasn't sung yet.....
grin.gif

Groucho, I'm also seeing some stuff I don't like in this market. The Fed will probably quit raising rates after a couple more increases, and that usually signals the end of the bull market when that happens. This has been a very long one, and the bull is very tired.

There very well could be a sharp sell-off on Jan 3, since tax on profits won't be due for another 15 1/2 months......

How about this for a reason. The yield had inverted on Tuesday for the first time in five years, triggering the biggest one-day drop in the Dow in two months. In the past, inverted curves have usually preceded economic recessions.
banghead.gif

MSFT is sitting at a lower level than it was in 2001.

It's a perennial dog of the Dow. Include GE in that as well.

When I look at the Dow 30, a lot of its move this year was made by a few stocks (XOM). GM will be a drag on it for a while.

I have to find a place to put some money to work, my hands are itchy.

GM - as Cramer says "there is always a bull market somewhere"

I'm sticking with MSFT. I wish it would get in the $24 range for a mo-back.

I'll stay with selected stuff. In the meantime I'm getting some decent interest and dividends.

GM (the stock) is like buying something you absolutely don't need at a garage sale, and have no hope of reselling.

GM you did REALLY good. I'm proud to know you!!

For me. No excuses, there it it. For a LOT of work I beat the big averages. The frustrating things are:

1) So many funds beat 10%. A lot of my funds beat 10%!!! But do I have the foreskin or gonads to put all my money in these funds? No.....oooo.........oh.

2) I'm still struggling with the rules. What pulled me down mostly were crappy stocks, crappy picks, crappy timing. And mainly lack of discipline!

Pablo, just a matter of luck and fear. I would love to have a fund that got me 10%

Stop loss orders are your friend.

I don't see how the Dow 30 can move much with the number of stocks that will drag (GM, VZ)

I may place a bet on SIRI for a short term play. I know a lot were purchased as Christmas gifts and Howard Stern appearance in Jan may cause a spike. S/T I 'm looking for good news, I don't like it L/T.

Look at the year end fund lists in all the papers. It's disgusting....
smile.gif

The index funds, sucked of course. My wife kicked my heinie with her Japan, Latin America and Gold funds.

Final number is 13.2% gain. I just placed a few good bets, GOOG being the best and I'm out of it now. I currently have 47% in cash and had more than 25% in cash the whole year.

I'm looking forward to another year of an active thread.

Let's hope the Z can participate.

Congrats Groucho, and Pablo you didn't do too badly either. As for myself, it's a mediocre at best 5.36%. I only had about 3 losing trades, but one was a doozy.
pat.gif

It'll be interesting to see how the averages sort out tomorrow.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back