Will gun oil or grease soften polymer frames?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try to find the paper to which I was referring, I'm sure I have it somewhere. No promises though, the content may or may not be of interest. It's a very long time since I read it.

One of the problems with polymers and plastics is that there are so so so many different formulas and materials lumped under the umbrella of "polymer" or "plastic". Some are just utter ancient tech or garbage and some are excellent and durable. For example Bakelite and Zytel.

The problem is "polymer" is the most generic description possible. All plastics are polymer but so is rubber, protein, DNA, etc. It is as as bad as listing the frame as "metal" or "alloy" when it is steel or aluminum. It must be a marketing gimmick that people think polymer is different (or better) than plastics.

Yes very generic. That's why I wondered if anyone knew more specifically what material or materials we were talking about.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Yes very generic. That's why I wondered if anyone knew more specifically what material or materials we were talking about.

Glocks are Nylon 6

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: Doog
Just wondering if gun lubes will have any effect on the polymer frames in modern firearms over time? Any ideas out there?

Short answer...No

I use a home brew of Ed's Red...one part odorless mineral spirits, one part kerosene, 1 part ATF. No problem.

The home brew you speak of is pretty popular (equal parts Dexron III, mineral spirits, kerosene, and acetone) and is NOT a lubricant, but a solvent.

well the TW25b guy emailed me back and said they have no issues with any glocks or other polymer gun frames with their product.
He did recommend trying a spot to see if there was any reaction.

So I am probably good to go.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
I'll try to find the paper to which I was referring, I'm sure I have it somewhere. No promises though, the content may or may not be of interest. It's a very long time since I read it.

I did find the paper but I think you would agree that it is not relevant to this discussion. The focus of testing was over time at temperatures that would never be encountered in the application that we are talking about. If anyone is interested the paper is SAE #971625.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back