Anyone running e85 in their mowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://m.deere.com/en_US/products/equip...lex_efi_54.page

So yes there are people that run it. There are also people who have modified to run it.

I run e85 in my truck and am money ahead if there is a 50 cent difference. I like my money and tax dollars going to farmers and ethanol producers and their crookedness rather than to the oil companies with their lovely enviromental record and crookedness.

And anyone that says ethanol costs more needs to do math.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thankful4engines
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

ah ha! your car! if it is designed to run on E85 moon shine go right ahead. BTW you get less MPG.
Now OPE AFAIK are not designed to run E85 moonshine.

smirk.gif

why would anyone use E85.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byfuel/FFV2000.shtml

dude, we all know modern car engines are tuned for low octane bad gas. They do not extract energy efficiently. Putting high performance fuel in a passenger car is a waste these days. Get over it.

MPG numbers are irrelevant, its cost per whatever. Unfortunately it costs nothing to pump oil out of the earth and very little to refine it and the profits are huge. Ethanol has to be produced so it will always be undercut until all of the light hydrocarbons are gone.

I am not discussing economic benefits of E85...dont care. All I want to now is if anybody tried E85 in their small engine.

Has no one discussed this here before?

it costS nothing to pump oil out of the ground. ROFL.
SO THEY MAKE A PROFIT that is the purpose of a business.
do you have a 401k I bet there is XOM in there somewhere.

if you want to run moon shine in a mower go ahead. I wont.
yes e85 is like 110 octane and can make serious power if the engine is designed for it.
just keep that [censored] out of my gas.
http://pure-gas.org/

Last edited:
Dirt rider did an article on a CR500 converted to ethanol a couple decades ago. They used huge jets in the carb and used vegetable oil in the mix and it went really fast smelling like French fries for a short amount of time, it burnt through a tank in 10 minutes or something like that.
Traction limited top speed of 130mph on dirt too!
I don't really need that performance out of my lawnboy, or chainsaw so I'll stick with gas.

Use fresh e85 and open up the jet to allow 35% more flow.
Will work just fine in that application. Things to consider:
1. will start easily in summer temps, in colder temps small low comp low tech engines will be a bit more difficult to start.
2. With ethanol, be more careful with old fuel. Ethanol absorbs water from air moisture and the gas caps on mowers are "open"
3. Uses more fuel, like 30%
4. In a naturally asprirated oldshool engine you won't be able to get much more power. In electronic, fuel injected turbos you can get much more power output but you don't need that in a mower. Or?
wink.gif

Some people talk about ethanol corroding, I don't know about that. Will your vodka burn pits in a aluminum jar? In a plastic bottle? No. But maybe the potential water content in old ethanol could be bad? Anyways, make sure the fuel is even more fresh than regular gas.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
The OP asks if anyone has, then quickly lashes out against anyone who says a bad word about ethanol. I haven't tried E85 in any OPE. I don't even know where it is available near me. I'm not an ethanol basher, and I'm sure it will run fine, but no need for an attitude when someone answers your question in a manner that you didn't want to hear because it sounds like you only asked in order to start an argument rather than gain information. In the grand scheme of things I don't think it is more efficient, but I'm sure your B&S will run on it.

This is the OP's thread and has very nicely said this thread isn't about that stuff. Look at what people are saying it has noting to do with running e85 in a small engine.

YOU are the OP, or did you think that you started this thread under one of your other aliases?

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Originally Posted By: bvance554
The OP asks if anyone has, then quickly lashes out against anyone who says a bad word about ethanol. I haven't tried E85 in any OPE. I don't even know where it is available near me. I'm not an ethanol basher, and I'm sure it will run fine, but no need for an attitude when someone answers your question in a manner that you didn't want to hear because it sounds like you only asked in order to start an argument rather than gain information. In the grand scheme of things I don't think it is more efficient, but I'm sure your B&S will run on it.

This is the OP's thread and has very nicely said this thread isn't about that stuff. Look at what people are saying it has noting to do with running e85 in a small engine.

YOU are the OP, or did you think that you started this thread under one of your other aliases?

Lmao.

Oh, I have to find that 2003-2006 Tecumseh study where they showed virtually all air cooled engines operated at about 60-70% power on e85 and at about 80-90% on e10 no matter if it was Kohler, Briggs or Tecumseh. Then they did the longevity study and the seal failures were bordering on comical. I remember studying that and looking at the efficiency numbers thinking this is good government design just like modern gas cans.

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
Oh, I have to find that 2003-2006 Tecumseh study where they showed virtually all air cooled engines operated at about 60-70% power on e85 and at about 80-90% on e10 no matter if it was Kohler, Briggs or Tecumseh. Then they did the longevity study and the seal failures were bordering on comical. I remember studying that and looking at the efficiency numbers thinking this is good government design just like modern gas cans.

This? http://www.powerequipmenttrade.com/federal-study-on-ethanol-in-small-engines-released/

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine

Honestly that's more of an indictment of the manufacturer than anything else. Come on, I don't like E10 myself really, but I'm forced to use it and like the auto manufacturers had to do, the OPE people need to get out of the past. How many years has it been and we still have the old "seal incompatibility" thing going on.

Maybe it has improved in the past 10 years since that report was written but geez.

why would you????

Alcohol burns cleaner for one! I have been smelling the oil companies bouquet for long enough to be tired of it. My car is much less noxious with alcohol.

Maybe if it had complete combustion. Burning ethanol produces emissions that are much more hazardous to human lung health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back