Subaru Forester XT or Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0l

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd personally wait until the IIHS crash tests are completed on the Hyundai. The 2015 Sante Fe did pretty bad in the small overlap crash test. The Forester did excellent.

As for the CVT, I have a 2012 Impreza with the CVT and the transmission is excellent. Once you learn how to drive it you will love it and not want a traditional automatic.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

It is a CVT. You cannot make a pie from s...!

So you've never heard of s... pie?
smile.gif

In all seriousness though, what year was the Subaru that you drove? Apparently this latest one has a pretty good behaving CVT, from all that I've read. Personally, I'd still go for a manual trans if that were an option, which it is not on the XT trim.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

smile.gif

In all seriousness though, what year was the Subaru that you drove? Apparently this latest one has a pretty good behaving CVT, from all that I've read. Personally, I'd still go for a manual trans if that were an option, which it is not on the XT trim.

It was 2015. Friend car, he knows I know stuff about cars so wanted me to try. Just cannot stand any CVT transmission.
Of course manual would be better.
But Subaru is becoming more like Toyota, with soccer moms in mind.

Had rental SF recently. I was appalled by plastic inside. I know Hyundai is not VW, but for the love of god.
Steering feel? What feel?
Subaru? Just one word: CVT!!! Drove that attempt of an transmission once and honestly, firing squad is easy escape for the guy who invented that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

smile.gif

It was 2015. Friend car, he knows I know stuff about cars so wanted me to try. Just cannot stand any CVT transmission.
Of course manual would be better.
But Subaru is becoming more like Toyota, with soccer moms in mind.

Did you drive the XT with CVT or the 2.5i? They're two completely different animals, so your experience with the latter has no real bearing on the OP's request...

In the XT, at moderate throttle, the CVT will rev the engine to just below 3k RPM at zero boost/vacuum, drop it down 500 RPM at 6-8psig boost, and hang out right there through the entire acceleration. Even at a more aggressive acceleration, the RPM stays much lower than an N/A engine's CVT and with ~14+ psig of boost, it doesn't need to scream. I actually perceive it to perform better at lower RPM, high boost than when you mash the pedal and send the RPM screaming up, which I think is more for the experience of high RPM for the driver than what is technically the highest performance.

With that said, I didn't really mind the 2.5i CVT (compared to other CVT's) in the Impreza and Outback I test drove; however, I did dislike them enough to never want to own one. I expected the XT to be similar, and to dislike the test drive, but I was surprised at how good it was.

Finally, I disliked MT vehicles when I was young (prior to 16 and just up to) because all I'd driven up to the point where I was able to drive on my own was an old Hyster fork lift and my gramma's Ranger, neither of which was "fun" to drive. I relearned how to drive on an even older Sunfire(circa 1980's) that had no power steering, but was somehow a really fun car to drive. I refined my MT skills even further with my first new car, a 2005 Focus ST, which was really fun to drive. I've had a few more MT cars since then, so now I highly prefer a MT.

My point, is that I hated MT in the beginning, until I A) learned to drive them and B) became proficient and learned how to enjoy them. A CVT is alien at first, but quickly grows on you. Like I've said, I've driven a couple or so rental CVT's and transitioned my opinion from an absolute hatred of them to...well, not disliking them. With the XT, I like it a lot. If the XT was offered with a MT (it's not; it's only offered with the CVT,) I would have had to think long and hard about which to get. The FXT is fun (for a CUV) and fast (for a CUV or subcompact turbo,) but I'm not sure how much more fun a MT would have been. It for sure would have been MUCH slower.

Last edited:
So you are assuming that I do not know difference between XT and 2.5i?
Seriously man? I know average Subaru Forester driver cannot make a difference, but please....

Seriously man? I know average Subaru Forester driver cannot make a difference, but please....

1. You didn't specify

2. I'm not a mind reader

3. I asked (see 2 above)

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

1. You didn't specify

2. I'm not a mind reader

3. I asked (see 2 above)

It is a CVT. Nothing special about it, made for MPG and average soccer mom IMO.
I loved Subaru's before, but what they doing now is just copy/paste of Toyota models. Next thing you now they will have Haldex in their AWD. I was seriously hoping that this current XT would be 6-speed automatic since I was on a market for this size SUV for a wife. When I found out it will be CVT, we got used Tiguan, no brainer there.
Colorado is I think their largest selling state per capita, when I see who drives Subaru's no wonder CVT made the way in their cars.

1. You didn't specify

2. I'm not a mind reader

3. I asked (see 2 above)

I loved Subaru's before, but what they doing now is just copy/paste of Toyota models. Next thing you now they will have Haldex in their AWD. I was seriously hoping that this current XT would be 6-speed automatic since I was on a market for this size SUV for a wife. When I found out it will be CVT, we got used Tiguan, no brainer there.
Colorado is I think their largest selling state per capita, when I see who drives Subaru's no wonder CVT made the way in their cars.

I don't understand your combative attitude, nor your unexplained hatred of CVTs, but please, do go on...
36.gif

Well, I stated my opinion before, but apparently XT's CVT is actually not CVT.
Like some said, there is a s... pie, but it is still a s... pie.

C'mon man, if you don't like either vehicle, why even comment in this thread? It makes zero sense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
C'mon man, if you don't like either vehicle, why even comment in this thread? It makes zero sense.

True, I do not, I stated in the beginning what I think is wrong, but apparently I hit the nerve with my statement about CVT.
I think actually Forester with its AWD is a great car, but that CVT IMO just does not belong in car like that.
If OP would like to consider MT, I would def say that Forester is great option.

Last edited:

1. You didn't specify

2. I'm not a mind reader

3. I asked (see 2 above)

I don't understand your combative attitude, nor your unexplained hatred of CVTs, but please, do go on...
36.gif

I was not a fan of CVTs, personally, until I drove a car with one through Manhattan (times square) at 6PM on the Saturday before Christmas. I understand why they do what they do. Honestly, for all but really hard acelleration or pounding the pedal to pass someone, I really enjoyed it. Did a great job of putting the engine right where it needed to be for either power or gas mileage.

And I didn't have to (or wouldn't have to if it were mine), run it around in '1' all day in the city to avoid wearing out the autotrans, or wear out the auto trans to avoid using a bunch of gas needlessly.

My concern with CVTs has always been their propensity to self-destruct at 50K miles. That only seems to be an issue for CVTs in Nissan products. Honda, Toyota, Subaru seem to be pretty good at making - or specifying to be made - CVTs for their vehicles. The late '00 subaru products that came with CVTs seem to be doing quite well for reliability.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or alluding to the SI-Drive system in the XT, which, while in S#-mode (the "sportiest" mode), will simulate an 8-speed AT. All three SI-Drive modes can be manually paddle-shifted, too.

Personally, I find the paddle shifter in this CVT to feel rubbery in higher "gears" but for a spirited romp from a stop it's more fun than leaving it in auto.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or alluding to the SI-Drive system in the XT, which, while in S#-mode (the "sportiest" mode), will simulate an 8-speed AT. All three SI-Drive modes can be manually paddle-shifted, too.

Personally, I find the paddle shifter in this CVT to feel rubbery in higher "gears" but for a spirited romp from a stop it's more fun than leaving it in auto.

Absolutely not sarcastic. Like I said, considering engine+ type of AWD, CVT is a crime against buyers of that car.
But again, since it can "simulate" 8-speed automatic, I bet it works equally good.

I am also thinking about buying a new Subaru or Hyundai but a few other current threads are discussing oil consumption with the Subaru's... This concerns me and I think I am going to wait another year to see how it plays out.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I am also thinking about buying a new Subaru or Hyundai but a few other current threads are discussing oil consumption with the Subaru's... This concerns me and I think I am going to wait another year to see how it plays out.

Don't be too concerned. My family has four late model Subarus and they don't consume any oil. There was a batch of cars with bad piston rings manufactured in late 2011 but the issue has been corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back