My transmission shop put in the wrong ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Demand a freaking refund on that job if they can't produce real documents saying that is a compatible fluid.

Ridiculous. Does ANYBODY do their job correctly these days? I struggle to get a French fry container actually full of fries. It's gotten that bad. When I have a server or painter or mechanic show ANY actual care and accuracy in their job... I let them know I appreciate it and I usually add a healthy tip.

Boy did you make the point. Those mentioning cost cutting and making a profit, well if you can't make a profit get out of the business.
Essentially that excuse is that they have to cheat the customer to make money. Well I'm glad the OP caught yet another shady shop in the act.

Last edited:
What bugs me the most are the dealers who don't put in the oil speced for the car when it's under warranty.

Stopped here on the road for lunch and I thought I would post an update and vent.

I did my own flush and fill last night before I left on my road trip and I am glad I did. With the transmission cold, I pulled the overflow plug and I measured just under a quart that poured out. COLD. He grossly overfilled it. When I pulled the drain plug, the fluid that poured out was very dark. Not quite the chocolate milk that a previous poster was talking about, but getting there. This was just after about 2300 miles with no towing.
So I flushed the transmission 2 quarts at a time using a cooling line and now it's full of brand new ATF of the proper type. Checked the level at the proper temp per my OBD2 and I slept much better last night. Today, the transmission seems just fine.
The next time I service, I will pull the pan and change the filter. I would have this time but I didn't have the parts and was pressed for time.
When I get back, the owner of the shop and I will have a good face to face.

Quote:

Or you could let it go and still have someone willing to come get you if broken down.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Quote:

Or you could let it go and still have someone willing to come get you if broken down.

He didn't say he was going to chew him a new one,
(even though he should) he will likely ask why the job wasn't done right. If anything if the mistake was just sloppy work and an oversight the owner will still want his business, if they don't give a [censored], then the owner can tell him to go somewhere else.
Personally I would go back and politely explain what I found with their work, then I would make a point to NEVER EVER go back to this shop.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
I would go back and politely explain what I found with their work, then I would make a point to NEVER EVER go back to this shop.

They have a transmission shop on the militia compound where you live?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
I would go back and politely explain what I found with their work, then I would make a point to NEVER EVER go back to this shop.

They have a transmission shop on the militia compound where you live?

Absolutely, some of the most skilled and accomplished mechanics around. They like everyone else wants to live in a honorable environment and community.
48.gif
hooked.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I don't see any issues. Are you sure they didn't use Pennzoil synthetic multi vehicle?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think the newer Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF is full synthetic. The spec above is old and it is not reflect the newer MV ATF.

Pep Boys has Pennzoil Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF for $5.xx/qt, but they have 35% off code for order online pick up in store, makes the final cost less than $4/qt.

I had Pennzoil Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF in my E430 to replace Shell-134, the shifting is better. I like Pennzoil Full syn ATF better than Maxlife.

Pennzoil full synthetic multi-vehicle ATF is not recommended in Toyota WS aplications either.

BTW, I spoke with the owner (we went to high school together) and he made things right. He refunded my money and also refunded the cost of the new ATF I had to buy to flush and fill. My transmission seems to really like the Valvoline MaxLife so I'll run that till the next change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: garyb80
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I don't see any issues. Are you sure they didn't use Pennzoil synthetic multi vehicle?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think the newer Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF is full synthetic. The spec above is old and it is not reflect the newer MV ATF.

Pep Boys has Pennzoil Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF for $5.xx/qt, but they have 35% off code for order online pick up in store, makes the final cost less than $4/qt.

I had Pennzoil Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF in my E430 to replace Shell-134, the shifting is better. I like Pennzoil Full syn ATF better than Maxlife.

Pennzoil full synthetic multi-vehicle ATF is not recommended in Toyota WS aplications either.

BTW, I spoke with the owner (we went to high school together) and he made things right. He refunded my money and also refunded the cost of the new ATF I had to buy to flush and fill. My transmission seems to really like the Valvoline MaxLife so I'll run that till the next change.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Sounds like an honest and well meaning fellow. Good to hear that it ended well.

Yeah, it's nice to hear about a shop taking their error and
making it right without making a customer jump through hoops or
telling them to get lost.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Sounds like an honest and well meaning fellow. Good to hear that it ended well.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back