Naturally aspirated four stroke diesels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: totegoat
Your NA Kubota 3710 may be fine for your use at sea level.
Its a different story at altitude.

I wouldn't buy a non-turbo tractor, the performance is dismal.
Funny that I got the exact opposite impression. It ran a tiller, finish mower, bush hog, and the loader just fine. What are doing with a compact tractor that's so demanding? Maybe you should match the tractor to the job. I did have a big 3 point disk the tractor didn't like to pull. Not a big deal since the attachment was intended for a real tractor. It would have pulled a smaller disk just fine. I have a two bottom plow but I never pulled it with the Kubota. I'm sure it would have been fine since my ancient gas Ford 641 can pull it.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

A neighbor was testing a newer Kubota turbo 80hp tractor to replace the old NA 75hp one, and liked it except for hauling wagons down the road.

Wow, that seems like a lot of (rated) horsepower for a tractor like a Kubota. That old Oliver 1600 I'd love to have is rated at 58 PTO horsepower (Waukesha-Oliver 4.3L inline 6 N/A diesel), but the rig weighs close to 8000 lbs by itself and I have a feeling it could just about drag a Kubota around the field backwards... though maybe not very quickly. The biggest Oliver of that era was the 1900 and it had a 93-hp pto rated Detroit Diesel 4-53, and that was considered a pretty darn huge tractor for the day. Of course that was way before big center-articulated tractors like the Case/Steiger with Cummins N-14 power were the upper end, too.

Kubota make tractors up to 120hp now I think. One of the small dairy farmers near me has a set of them to make round bales and silage.
We still have a few smaller farms where they run 80-90hp tractors and that size of equipment. Not many running Kubota's of that size but there are more every year it seems.
I sometimes think about getting a set of hay equipment and some old hp to run it, but hay is still pretty cheap for a dozen goats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back