Corrosion on aluminum surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best material to repair corrosion pitting on aluminum before repainting? Outboard motor. None structural but would nicer if all the surfaces were smooth rather than pitted before priming.

Take the aluminum down to bare metal clean it with the proper prep solution [acid type depending on which alloy] then treat with Alodine t then prime with the proper primer and proper paint. and paint. there are instructions on you tube and as with all painting the prep work is most important for a good lasting finish.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Take the aluminum down to bare metal clean it with the proper prep solution [acid type depending on which alloy] then treat with Alodine t then prime with the proper primer and proper paint. and paint. there are instructions on you tube and as with all painting the prep work is most important for a good lasting finish.

Thanks for the info on prep and painting. But my question was what to use where there is pitting from corrosion. The aluminum will need to be filled with something.

JB weld might work, they also make a marine epoxy. Either should be much better than any type of body filler.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
JB weld might work, they also make a marine epoxy. Either should be much better than any type of body filler.

This is going to sound ludicrous, but my experience with JB Weld on Aluminium has not been great *unless* you take care to go through the oxide layer. I hit the ally with a stainless brush on a dremel and basically lay the JB weld on behind the brush. Before I started doing that I actually had several adhesion failures where the epoxy bonded to the oxide layer which eventually pulled/fractured off the metal leaving shiny aluminium.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C

This is going to sound ludicrous, but my experience with JB Weld on Aluminium has not been great *unless* you take care to go through the oxide layer. I hit the ally with a stainless brush on a dremel and basically lay the JB weld on behind the brush. Before I started doing that I actually had several adhesion failures where the epoxy bonded to the oxide layer which eventually pulled/fractured off the metal leaving shiny aluminium.

I repaired an aluminium boat about 15 years back. It was pitted and holed with corrosion.
I ground out ALL the corrosion with a HSS burr and filled JB weld.
When set the JB weld was sanded down and the area painted with marine paint.
I still have that boat.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C

Not ludicrous at all, things don't like to stick to the oxide layer including paint. That's the reason for the special primers made for painting aluminum, they etch the oxide layer and let the paint get a good bite.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The Acid will clean out the pits then Alodine then fill the pits with 2 part filler then prime and paint . paint ,finishes have a hard time sticking to aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back