Ecoboost with Mobil 1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Pesca
I think if i had a di engine i would run a 0w 40 except maybe in winter.

Is that not the point to use an 0W-xx oil for winter? LOL

Maybe he is thinking of oil warm up. 0W30 would be def better option in winter.

Thats my thoughts, i would be concerned about running a heavier than spec oil ( xx-40 vs an xx-30)in cold weather. not in warm weather though.

That makes absolutely no sense.

Whether winter or summer bulk oil temps stay pretty consistent so regardless of ambient temps the oil in the sump will be the same whether winter or summer.
My oil temps on my charger in the winter are the exact same as during the summer except when cruise set at 70mph,oil temps drop slightly but hover around 200f instead of the usual 213f.
So your comment makes no sense and the exact opposite is actually true.
A 10w-40 and 0w-40 are the same viscosity at operating temps so if used during the summer one can expect zero differences.
At -35c the 0w-40 will be thinner which is a benefit.
So the exact opposite is true.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Whether winter or summer bulk oil temps stay pretty consistent so regardless of ambient temps the oil in the sump will be the same whether winter or summer.
My oil temps on my charger in the winter are the exact same as during the summer except when cruise set at 70mph,oil temps drop slightly but hover around 200f instead of the usual 213f.
A 10w-40 and 0w-40 are the same viscosity at operating temps so if used during the summer one can expect zero differences.

My suggestion is to run the 0w 40 in the summer and perhaps a ow 30 in the winter. The oil in the sump is not the same viscosity winter or summer during startup. Even a 0w 40 is heavier in cold weather than a 5w 30 during cold startup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quadrajet
On a side note , I have a fresh 420hp/485 ft lb Pontiac 406 roller engine ready for my gto , was gonna run Brad penn 10w40 but what do you folks think about 0w40 for this app ? The builder still suggested higher zddp levels even though it's a roller cam . Mobil 0w40 still has 1000/1100 ppm . I wonder what zddp levels were in the 60s & 70s ?

1200 was pretty common.

My suggestion is to run the 0w 40 in the summer and perhaps a ow 30 in the winter. The oil in the sump is not the same viscosity winter or summer during startup. Even a 0w 40 is heavier in cold weather than a 5w 30 during cold startup.

That depends greatly on the temperature.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

That depends greatly on the temperature.

You are quite correct, i kind of was basing what i said on the info that the op is in Kentucky.

Thanks for posting, I have 0w-40 Edge lined up for the next few OCI's on my Eco-Boost. Sounds like similar driving as me except I don't idle more than about 30 seconds after start up and I do haul a 18' trailer a few times a year.

Please post a voa on the castrol 0w40 ! I'm a fan of castrol products as well . Im curious if towing will have much impact . I havnt been letting it idle much since it's warm and I just changed it . I also wanted to note that the engine felt really smooth with the 0w40 .

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I've been wondering what the effect of fuel dilution in motor oil would have on viscosity. So looking up the viscosity of gasoline from various web sources, and using the Widman calculator, I estimate that it would have a viscosity of .48 cSt at 100C, presuming the oil keeps it in a liquid state. (It's a bit past my chemistry knowledge to calculate the viscosity of what is left of gasoline when it is heated to 100C.)

So assuming that the 1.5% fuel dilution is true, and that the gasoline has a viscosity of .48 cSt @100C, and the M1 0w40 has a viscosity of 13.5, a final viscosity of the mixture can be calculated.

(Drum roll, please.)

Widman yields a number of 12.8 cSt with 1.5% fuel dilution in the oil. Since Blackstone got a viscosity of 10.5, there must be some shear occurring.

I estimate closer to 4% dilution based on the flashpoint. Which would be around 11.7cSt. M1 0W40 does tend to shear a bit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back