2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Eneos

Status
Not open for further replies.
alex16, I own a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer SE and a 2015 Mirage ES. They both have the same oil and filter requirements with the only difference being capacity. I have used M1-110, WIX (Forget part Number) and Royal Purple 10-2867 filters. You will notice more power and better economy with the Royal Purple Oil filter over the other ones I have tried. The M1 is a great budget filter though. Make sure you don't use the OEM Filter the Mitsubishi filter is terrible for your car.

I have tried Castrol Edge, Nippion oil is what it comes from the factory with since Mitsubishi owns it, M1 EP, M1 AFE, PP and PUP. the two pennzoil products are the only ones that dont make weird noises in severe cold. I'm originally from lewistown PA (by state college) and I know it doesnt normally get as cold there as it does here in Lincoln so it might be okay but I do recomend you try PP and PUP. you wont be disapointed. you can get 0w20 PUP from amazon for about $29 per 5 quart jug, since your mirage has a capacity of 3.2 quarts thats really a good deal. You can find PP for about $25 per 5 qt jug at walmart.

Here is a great comparison of oil filter for our Mitsubishi's. Totally worth a look.

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-eng...g63t-4b11t.html

Hope I have been of some help, I also hope you enjoy your new Mitsubishi and trust it will treat you well for many years to come.

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
alex16, I own a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer SE and a 2015 Mirage ES. They both have the same oil and filter requirements with the only difference being capacity. I have used M1-110, WIX (Forget part Number) and Royal Purple 10-2867 filters. You will notice more power and better economy with the Royal Purple Oil filter over the other ones I have tried. The M1 is a great budget filter though. Make sure you don't use the OEM Filter the Mitsubishi filter is terrible for your car.

I have tried Castrol Edge, Nippion oil is what it comes from the factory with since Mitsubishi owns it, M1 EP, M1 AFE, PP and PUP. the two pennzoil products are the only ones that dont make weird noises in severe cold. I'm originally from lewistown PA (by state college) and I know it doesnt normally get as cold there as it does here in Lincoln so it might be okay but I do recomend you try PP and PUP. you wont be disapointed. you can get 0w20 PUP from amazon for about $29 per 5 quart jug, since your mirage has a capacity of 3.2 quarts thats really a good deal. You can find PP for about $25 per 5 qt jug at walmart.

Here is a great comparison of oil filter for our Mitsubishi's. Totally worth a look.

Hope I have been of some help, I also hope you enjoy your new Mitsubishi and trust it will treat you well for many years to come.
"More power and economy" from an OIL filter? So what's the physics of that?

Well I'm not sure but I would assume It would be from the flow rate. Edit: If the engine doesn't have to work as hard to pump oil that should give it the stated qualities.

Mobil 1
Manufacturer: Champion Laboratories
Part Number: M1-110
Media Type: Cellulose + Synthetic Blend (Polyester)
Micron Rating: 25μm Nominal
By-pass Valve Rating: 13psi
Flow Rate: 3gpm
Burst Pressure: 300psi
Media Surface Area: 105 sq in
Pleat Count: 49
Drain Back Value Material: Nitrile
Country of Manufacture: USA

vs

Royal Purple
Manufacturer: Champion Laboratories
Part Number: 10-2867
Media Type: Synthetic
Micron Rating: 25μm Nominal
By-pass Valve Rating: 11-17psi
Flow Rate: 9-11gpm
Burst Pressure: 600psi
Media Surface Area: 72sq in
Pleat Count: 32
Drain Back Value Material: Nitrile
Country of Manufacture: USA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: alex16
I don't want off the shelf oil, I stated I want the best for my application. Going with Eneos sustina, thanks for your recommendation.

Who says it is the best?

The "best" is your dream oil before you realize that the off-the-shelf brand you bought actually works better in your application. It's a strict correlation between cost and what's "best" as opposed to what actually works in that engine. Using Eneos vs. an off-the-shelf oil will make the Mirage last to 400K miles in the same way that eating kale and taking fish oil will make me a rock star with a 13" member.

I don't want off the shelf oil, I stated I want the best for my application. Going with Eneos sustina, thanks for your recommendation.
Yes, please do explain why this oil is better than Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, and Castrol Edge. I'm dying to hear why it's better than these other oils and will make an engine last longer.

You're the expert, right?

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
eating kale and taking fish oil will make me a rock star with a 13" member.

Dang! I wish I knew this when I was younger.

Only one way to find out, maybe I can find a Mirage at 200k when the tension guide for the timing chain needs to replaced to take a picture of his cylinder head and side of the engine for comparison off shelf synthetic vs sustina.

I have no real scientific way of determining which oil is the best other than basic visual looks after 100k/200k miles vs a mirage with similar miles/driving conditions.

Not many people are using Sustina, so whats the harm in trying something different. It says it is better than all the rest and I know its advertisement but I don't care. 0W20 Sustina advertisement sells me on their engineering and what they say this oil will do. There are regular eneos synthetic oil videos that show a increase in hp vs mobil 1 but who knows if those are real. I like that its Japanese oil and pushes home the mpg. I've read in racing applications of Eneos reducing oil temperatures more than regular synthetics but again who knows if this is true, they also state that redline is the best oil out there.

Last edited:
You're setting yourself up for failure if you're looking at getting a valid comparison based on one data point - your own experience. All kinds of different oils might "fare better" in this application beyond the vanilla SN/GF-5 specified. Then again, they might not. Maybe frequent oil changes (regardless of brand or base stock) helps matters. Maybe a different grade is the answer. Maybe it's just something that cannot be helped by lube choice.

Look at the Chevy small block cams of years ago. All the ZDDP in the world didn't help them, nor did grade choice or brand.

Going to get a oil temperature gauge to monitor the temps soon, I should have it before the switch hopefully. I will be doing extensive modifications to the cooling system to improve aerodynamics and fuel economy, I want to be sure my oil temperatures are safe while I see how far I can go with grill blocking. I might also add a pressure gauge as well. If needed a oil cooler. I will making a under body panel to completely cover the underside of the car as much as possible in 3 sections that work together as 1 and are easily removed.

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss

Hi Mathew, I'm particularly interested in your statement regarding the OEM Denso oil filters.
"Make sure you don't use the OEM Filter the Mitsubishi filter is terrible for your car"
Please tell me more about these filters. Thanks in advance.

My lifetime average is awful, 42.5 or so since new (bought it in the winter central pa below 32 degrees no engine heater) and I drive a 8% grade, lots of mountains and short trips with engine barely getting to operating temps.

My average per week lately in the summer has been 49 with mountains/short trips.

I drove for Uber this morning and did 57.2 mpg for my 140 miles of driving ($45 total earned in fairs for 2 1/2 hours on duty mostly watching youtube 80 mile round trip to uber area in Harrisburg)

I can keep it at 56-57 when at 60mph but I am hoping to add some aero, get my tires aired up again (dealer puts them at spec 35psi vs my preferred 50psi) and get to 60 mpg highway at 65 mph. There is a Mirage currently getting 64 lifetime average, he has done 76 mpg but he is a much better driver than me, plus he has flat level roads.
http://mirageforum.com/forum/em-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=7252

My F150 would get 15 mpg in Houston and around the mountains got close to 10 mpg, 8mpg 4x4 winter. My mirage with studded snow tires pulls up snow hills better than the 4x4 f150 or my cherokee 4x4, plus averaged 39 mpg over the winter, 32 mpg being the lowest. This winter I have a garage and a engine block heater to help some.

I'm sure if I lived in a area with flat level land and warmer climate I could easily be at 50 mpg lifetime, and getting 60mpg@65mph would be a lot easier.

Last edited:
The mori I read about sustina the more I like it! Can't wait to order some and try it out for myself. Who knows I might see mpg, noise, power increase, but I doubt it... but at least I'll have that warm feeling inside knowing my little car is getting the best. I got the same argument with the xwife when I asked if she was buying organic milk, I only buy organic foods and whole foods for her, plus NO TV! I've got her hooked on steamed brown rice and wheat bread!

The mori I read about sustina the more I like it! Can't wait to order some and try it out for myself. Who knows I might see mpg, noise, power increase, but I doubt it... but at least I'll have that warm feeling inside knowing my little car is getting the best. I got the same argument with the xwife when I asked if she was buying organic milk, I only buy organic foods and whole foods for her, plus NO TV! I've got her hooked on steamed brown rice and wheat bread!

Let us know how it works out after you have put 200k on this oil.

The mori I read about

Ha!
smile.gif

So this clown drives for Uber and watches YouTube while doing it?
How about paying attention to just driving?
You sound like a real class act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back