MircoGuard MGL51516-13.5k miles for 06 F150 Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been awhile, but I'm here with another cut open filter. This is a MircoGuard MGL51516 for our shop truck. The truck is a 2006 F150 4.2L with 286,500 miles on the clock, it sees lots of highway use, stop and go, idling, and heavy loads of machined parts in the bed. It was cut with my cutter that I made last year. The oil in use for the 13.5k was Oreilly conventional 5w20 or 5w30, unsure of which and had to add 1qt over the span of 13.5k. Impressed with the filter though and the engine seems really clean!

The replacement fill and filter is 5w30 Ultra and a TG3600 filter. Will run for another 10-12k and cut it open.

Enjoy.

Lots of carbon/metallic grit in that can. Would love to see a UOA of the oil.

Your shop is brave going 13.5k on conventional in a hard-worked truck...but hey, if that's how they want to cut costs...!

Looks great, the Napa Silver version of this filter is one of my favorites for the Jeep. These are not intended to be extended use filters though, while Wix construction holds up fine I would question the filtering and holding capacity of the media at this point on a 3 buck filter. Looking at it also makes me think it is probably loaded or very close too it.

The TG3600 you installed sounds like a much better choice for the intervals and use.

Thanks for cutting and posting!

Addyguy- was all carbon in the can, flash made some of it look metallic. Didn't intend on running 13.5k on conventional, it just kind of happened by mistake.

Kcjeep- I didn't do the last OCI, they changed it when it was in for some front end work. [censored] me off because it was 5k into a run with Pennzoil Ultra and a Fram Ultra so I didn't get to run that filter as long as I planned on. I agree it was very close to it's limits, yeah I've been wanting to try one of the Tough Guards and it should as you mentioned fit the interval better!

Phishin- haha

Thanks for the cut and post. I just changed the oil in my Dakota tonight and used a MicroGard MGL51085. If your MicroGard looks that good after 13,500 miles then mine should do just fine for my 3,000 mile OCI. I really like the Wix and Wix-made filters, they are very solid construction and a great filter for the price. I have used a few TG's too, they did fine but I prefer Wix.

Such a long OCI with house conventional/ entry level filter for someone with such a nice filter cutter..
27.gif

Thank you for upgrading to synthetic at least.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Finally, someone getting their money's worth out of the oil and filter. Why some people still change oil at 3,000 mile is beyond me.

I change my oil at 3,000 miles because that is what Dodge recommends in the owner's manual and maintenance guide. Another good reason I follow a 3,000 mile oci is because while today's oils and filters may be more modern and can last longer my engine is not so modern. It really is just an old school 1960's design cast iron Mopar 318 minus 2 cylinders. So I follow what Dodge recommends and am also old school and set in my ways myself. My truck has been on the road now for almost 15 years and has over 178,000 miles on it so I must be doing something right. Now my wife's 2014 Nissan Rogue is definitely a more modern updated engine design. I change its oil and filter every 5,000 miles because that is what Nissan requires for the warranty and is also what the owner's manual says to do.

Nice economy wix made filter makes me feel good about the case of wix made parts master 1040 filters I bought for my GM v6s. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words guys, I will admit that I was expecting the worst before the filter was opened up.

When I do the oil changes the truck will always run synthetic. We bought the truck new in 2006 and it had PYB with intervals of 5-7500k till 250k or so and that's when I started changing it with synthetic. As I mentioned earlier the shop that did the front end work changed it at 273k wasting a Fram Ultra with 5k on it.

The cutting blade is for a tubing cutter, I bought the blade at Home Depot.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Good looking filter for the miles. Thanks for the c&p.

+1

Filter looks good, especially considering the amount of miles on it. I like Microgard and NAPA Silver oil filters; they are solid Wix-made filters. Thanks for taking the time to do the C&P.
smile.gif

Very nice. And this MGL uses Wix's traditional metal coil spring thread end bypass. Excellent value filter the MGL51516.

I'd say you got your money's worth. How long did it take to get 13.5K miles?

Thanks for pics.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Very nice. And this MGL uses Wix's traditional metal coil spring thread end bypass. Excellent value filter the MGL51516.

I'd say you got your money's worth. How long did it take to get 13.5K miles?

Thanks for pics.

Very good build quality for what they sell for. I think it took 6-7 months to get there.

Purolator should sub contract out and re-brand these since they don't know how to make a proper filter anymore. I use Wix and Microguard, nice filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back