Your Prediction: ? years until NASCAR turbos/4 cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: hpb
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
My prediction is that...Within 5 years they will have rain tires and racing.

Wait...they don't race in the rain now??

not the top series, (Sprint Cup), but the second Tier(was Nationwide, now XFinity)Does have the option to run rain tires on road courses, and even then, window wipers are optional.

and either option is rarely exercised.

Well there you go, learn something every day! I've only seen NASCAR live once, many years ago when they were a support race at Gold Coast Indy. Watching them struggle to steer and stop around the street circuit, I can understand why nobody wants to drive 'em in the wet! Still, must annoy the punters when a race is called off due to a bit of rain.

I thought there was a 4cyl class.
I'm not a fan so I don't know.
NASCAR needs to stick with v-8s.

NASCAR has started using unleaded gas in the past 10-12 years, and just recently started using fuel injection. Manufacturers are just sponsors at this point. Road relevance is a non factor. Sure, they're going to switch to turbo four cylinder engines........

NASCAR is simply about advertising, the cars matter little.

OTOH I wish F1 would loosen up the rules a bit, racing is more interesting when the manufactures get to experiment.

DTM is what NASCAR was before they decided to concentrate on advertising.

not the top series, (Sprint Cup), but the second Tier(was Nationwide, now XFinity)Does have the option to run rain tires on road courses, and even then, window wipers are optional.

Shows how much you pay attention. Goodyear has rain tires at Sonoma right now. They will be bringing them to Watkins Glen also for the Cup race there.

They will never race in the rain on an oval, just like IndyCar.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Shows how much you pay attention. Goodyear has rain tires at Sonoma right now. They will be bringing them to Watkins Glen also for the Cup race there.

Yes, I thought that decision/rule was made for Cup road races a while ago, even though they never used it (as far as I know).

Originally Posted By: Blaze
The only reason I'll go to an unlimited hydro race is when a piston engine shows up. If a V-8 showed up at a 4 cyl race I would like to see (hear) that too.

Everything else is big gas turbine powered?

Well there you go, learn something every day! I've only seen NASCAR live once, many years ago when they were a support race at Gold Coast Indy. Watching them struggle to steer and stop around the street circuit, I can understand why nobody wants to drive 'em in the wet! Still, must annoy the punters when a race is called off due to a bit of rain.

Yes, we statesiders could only WISH that we had a series just like your V8 Supercar series (which runs in ALL weather, even with spooled rear axles!!).
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The way NASCAR lives in the past,its only a matter of time before flathead engines make a comeback..
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Yes, I thought that decision/rule was made for Cup road races a while ago, even though they never used it (as far as I know).

I laughed when I heard they brought the wets to Sonoma. Although right as we were walking out of Fontana yesterday after the IndyCar race it started lightly raining.

As for Aussie V8, I saw them at COTA and will fly anywhere in the US to see them again.

The Busch series(now Xfinity)used NA V6 engines in the 80's and early 90's. The Goody's Dash series(now defunct) used V6 engines, and Toyota ran a Celica bodied car with a 4 cyl. engine half a decade before Toyota entered the Craftsman (now Camping World) truck series. On par with the original subject, I do believe Ford will at least develop and test an Ecoboost V6 equipped Sprint Cup car in the near future. Who knows, they may even run the car.

I'm absolutely convinced Nascar should be required to use current drivetrains and body construction methods. If I can't have a V8, RWD car, they shouldn't either.

FWD
4 cylinder
4 doors
emission controls

Watch the crowds disappear

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I laughed when I heard they brought the wets to Sonoma. Although right as we were walking out of Fontana yesterday after the IndyCar race it started lightly raining.

As for Aussie V8, I saw them at COTA and will fly anywhere in the US to see them again.

V8 Supercars are the real deal. Outstanding and at least related to ordinary cars on their roads...

Woah, woah, woah. This is NASCAR we are talking about here.

Give them a few years to let throttle body injection settle in. Maybe then we can move to multi port injection and *potentially* ditch the 60s Chevy truck rear suspension.

Baby steps. If we keep going crazy with suggestions, they're going to drop back to carburetors.

Originally Posted By: Red91
The Busch series(now Xfinity) I do believe Ford will at least develop and test an Ecoboost V6 equipped Sprint Cup car in the near future. Who knows, they may even run the car.

Why would they spend millions of dollars on a car they'll never race? What's the point?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Woah, woah, woah. This is NASCAR we are talking about here.

Give them a few years to let throttle body injection settle in. Maybe then we can move to multi port injection and *potentially* ditch the 60s Chevy truck rear suspension.

Baby steps. If we keep going crazy with suggestions, they're going to drop back to carburetors.

Where do you get the throttle body injection from? It is port fuel injection. They use a Holley Dominator EFI setup. There is a throttle body where the carb used to be and then fuel rails.

Here is the Ford FR9
LarryMc03.jpg

Here is the Chevy RO7
chevrolet-r07-engine-side-view.jpg

Originally Posted By: Blaze
The only reason I'll go to an unlimited hydro race is when a piston engine shows up. If a V-8 showed up at a 4 cyl race I would like to see (hear) that too.

Good to see the Allison can still get it done against the turbines. The V1710 is one of my favorite engines of all time.

Now I have another subject on YT to lose sleep obsessing over...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I'm not sure a 4 has run at Indy in 20 years.

20 years? More like 30. I don't know when the last Offy ran, but it couldn't have been much past 1980. The Cosworth pretty much took over very quickly after 1978.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back