Rahal no penalty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

I would like to see Congress to subpoena them and have a Congressional hearing!!!

New legislation might be required to make these bodies responsible for their negligence.

Seriously? What Congress needs to be concerned with are the issues they are elected to handle, these would be things like NATIONAL DEFENSE, for example. Graham Rahal's pit malfunctions do not rise to that level.

What "these bodies" care about are BUTTS IN SEATS and TV REVENUE and SPONSORSHIP. If people get their proverbial boxers in a bunch over such incidents and it affects BUTTS IN SEATS and TV REVENUE and SPONSORSHIP, the "negligence" will be dealt with swiftly. It's all about the money.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: billt460
I would like to see Congress to subpoena them and have a Congressional hearing!!!

Yeah, just what we need. A Federal government that completely screws up everything it touches, to get involved in automobile racing.
We need a new sanctioning body for Congress.

WE are the sanctioning body for Congress.
And we haven't been riding them hard enough.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Yeah, just what we need. A Federal government that completely screws up everything it touches, to get involved in automobile racing.

And sending some of them home perminently quickly enough.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
I would have thought that it's a team issue. Unsafe release where I come from.

I agree. However the fact Rahal did not go until he was motioned to, "proved" it was not his doing. Had he left on his own, before being released by the right front tire changer, then it's almost certain he would have been given a drive through.

In this case there will most likely be a fine, and possibly a grid penalty in the next race. Which is fair.

Since he won the race, and it was his first win in 125 races, and he is the son of an IndyCar racing legend, I doubt they'll take the victory from him. But I think their failure to penalize him when the infraction occurred put them in a box to deal with it fairly after the race. If they had penalized him immediately, he would have had a chance to drive through the field again before the end of the race. But I think IndyCar wanted Honda to win the race, and they didn't want to penalize the driver that has been Honda's strongest runner this year. Meh.

This kind of stuff has been going on in all sports since forever. Did Babe Ruth actually "call his shot"? Did the International Cycling Federation know that Lance Armstrong was doping during the 7 years he dominated the Tour de France? Was Mark McGuire taking steroids during his 70 home run season? This kind of thing is tolerated by the organizers to build interest in the public at large who would not otherwise be interested in the sports as the true fans are. People want the sense they are watching history in the making.

It's a sport, look at what happened with the Super Bowl. While I'd love to see justice and fairness, it doesn't always work out that way. It happens, a lot! Such is life unfortunately.

How did this turn into a political discussion?

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I think SCOTUS should make a decision on this, then everyone will be happy.

Put Vern_in_IL in charge of the investigation, he'll get to the bottom of it...
33.gif
crackmeup2.gif

But at least it would make the national news for a few months. IndyCar needs national exposure.

^^^
crackmeup2.gif

Fair handling of the situation. Rahal himself couldn't see what was going on. The RF tire changer released him the split second after the fueler removed the nozzle (as he should've) which is when the fueler reinserted the nozzle, which he did all on his own. Given the givens I think a fine and maybe a grid penalty is the appropriate way to handle this.

I was listening to the TV broadcast on my scanner when the incident happened. I then switched over to Race Control and they said the incident would be under investigation after the race. I personally was shocked. In the older IRL mismanagement days and Champ Car that would have been a stop-go or stop-wait 10 seconds-go penalty without question.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I was listening to the TV broadcast on my scanner when the incident happened. I then switched over to Race Control and they said the incident would be under investigation after the race. I personally was shocked. In the older IRL mismanagement days and Champ Car that would have been a stop-go or stop-wait 10 seconds-go penalty without question.

That is what I expect would happen, but no...

O and for anyone that goes to an IndyCar race that NBC is broadcast channel, listen to the TV broadcast on your scanner. Paul Tracy is absolutely hilarious off camera. I got within a couple feet of Paul, Steve Matchett, and Leigh Diffey. Steve is as expected all business, Leigh is super professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back