Castrol 0w40 Woopla

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK folks I finally am trying the Castrol 0w40 made in Germany Woopla that has been going around on this forum for so long. I have had M1 0w40 in my GTI for about 20K miles with zero issues. I change it every 5K miles and UOA's look good with it as well. So why try the Castrol? It says made in Germany on the bottle man!! haha No, really, I am trying it because there has been so much talk about it making the VW motors run smoother and all I figured what the heck nothing to lose right?

Here is the deal. I know as enthusiasts, and I am assuming you are or you would not be on this site getting info for yourself, we are always seeking the next best thing. Sometimes, its all smoke and mirrors. Well Most of the time it is. haha. In this case, I think, ok if this is from Germany which oil is this that we actually have?

Here is the pic of the Bottle of this German Made Stuff:
[img:left][/img]

Looks good so far right, then you look at the back of the label...
[img:left][/img]

So you see its MADE IN GERMANY nice huh? Then you see below it "Not for sale outside of the America's"

So this oil is not an oil they sell in Germany. Now IF they do, it may not be able to be sold as a "Full Synthetic" like it is here and maybe that is why its not sold outside of the "America's".

So what we have here is to Germany anyway, is a Group 3 "Not Synthetic" most likely to German standards Oil that we feel here in the "America's" is some Holy Grail of oils. I honestly after of about 750 miles of use notice no difference with this oil vs the M1 I had in it prior. MPG's seem to be around the same, no difference in Turbo spool up (which is a good thing) and now I will probably use this stuff one more time and do a UOA after the next oil change just to make sure its all Castrol left in there and compare it to my M1 UOA's.

VW Recommends Castrol says so on the oil cap, of course, VW has a stake in Castrol so what else would you expect on their cars. Its probably no better than anything else spec'd for VW 502, but it does meet Porsche and MB certs so this oil is good.

I am not expecting anything major here, but just curious to what the big deal is? This can be Castrol oil found in a German 99 cent store for all we know and we are going ape over it.

Thoughts?

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Originally Posted By: edyvw
So we are getting 12.8cst version in this market.

US is getting the same formulation as the rest of the world for 0W-40 A3/B4

bobbydavro posted that not too long ago. Think he has inside knowledge of it. Looks like Castrol is trying to standardize worldwide on that one. Really as long as an oil meets Mercedes 229.5 specs, thats the toughest specs to meet for gasoline engines, so we can't get any better. Have you seen how tough it is to get 229.5??? See https://www.aftonchemical.com/Lists/Brochure/Attachments/40/Specification_Handbook.pdf and do a ctrl-f search for mercedes in there. Its a long list of tough requirements.

What nonsense.

The oil in that jug is the exact same oil they sell in Germany. And a voa shows the Belgian stuff is identical to the German stuff.

It still blows my mind that people here still comment and make nonsensical posts about fake synthetic blah blah blah.
It's the finished formulation that matters. Not how much of a certain base stock an oil has.
Only a member who has chosen to remain ignorant takes 2 products that carry identical certifications and by some false logic calls one better based on a single input. Truly absurd
Porsche says they are EQUAL. You know better than Porsche. I seriously doubt it.
Both products will perform in a near identical fashion.
The "only for sale in the Americas" label is because of the label. That's it. It's the same oil Europe gets.
And I haven't seen anyone calling this stuff great or anything that remotely resembles it.
The German castrol that was the forum darling for years was the original green stuff. Not this.
According to the voa posted on the 0w-30 the additive packages are identical to the 0w-40. Exact same add pack. The only change is viscosity

The one thing people asking questions never get on these forums is anything that for example shows how say Mobil1 0w-40 compares to Castrol 0w-40. We can say they are "equal", but they are probably not. How did one oil do on each and every spec test compared to the other oil?
Pennzoil, with their Ultra, gives us one glimpse into piston cleanliness comparisons off one of the standard tests anyway.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
The one thing people asking questions never get on these forums is anything that for example shows how say Mobil1 0w-40 compares to Castrol 0w-40. We can say they are "equal", but they are probably not. How did one oil do on each and every spec test compared to the other oil?
Pennzoil, with their Ultra, gives us one glimpse into piston cleanliness comparisons off one of the standard tests anyway.

M1 in my car proved to be very stout after 5K, although TBN dropped a lot!
I used Castrol in CC, and must say that feels smoother then M1 with much better cold start.

My wife's Audi only came with one free oil change and at the 5K mark. I've been using Castrol 0W40 exclusively in her car and am maintaining it by the book @ 10K intervals.
I think Castrol 0W40 with it's magsesium might have better TBN retention than Mobil1 0W40. Could make it the better oil for those who actually do VAG maintenance by the book. Especially if you have an old Passat 1.8T.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
So this oil is not an oil they sell in Germany. Now IF they do, it may not be able to be sold as a "Full Synthetic" like it is here and maybe that is why its not sold outside of the "America's".

So what we have here is to Germany anyway, is a Group 3 "Not Synthetic" most likely to German standards Oil that we feel here in the "America's" is some Holy Grail of oils.

You should definitely buy a bigger tinfoil hat. The one you have can no longer contain all your conspiracy theories.

BTW, this oil is available in Europe as full sun, just in a slightly different bottle. Search the european pds and you'll find it.

Quote:
now I will probably use this stuff one more time and do a UOA after the next oil change just to make sure its all Castrol left in there and compare it to my M1 UOA's.

If only a cheap UOA was an accurate tool to compare two oils...

Quote:

I am not expecting anything major here, but just curious to what the big deal is?

There is no big deal. I've always claimed it is comparable to M1 0w40 because it carries all the same stringent mfg specs.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

When I say comparable, I mean that most people won't notice a difference during the length of time they own the vehicle.

Are they exactly equal, literally? Of course not. As you pointed out, one oil could exceed a particular test by more than the other. But is that difference meaningful?

Also, think of it from an oil manufacturer's perspective. Would a manufacturer spend a ton more money to offer a lubricant that significantly exceeds the required tests? Probably not, because the actual results of these tests are not published. It's a pass/fail, so the oil mfg will design the oil as cheaply as possible just to pass the test. And that's because the customer will not pay extra for your product if it passes just like the other products on the shelf.

Quote:

Kinda sorta, but don't let clever marketing get in the way of an otherwise ordinary story...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ood#Post3512953

Do I think Pennzoil can make a great oil? Sure. I use it. Do I think it's somehow better than M1 0w-40? I don't.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Then you see below it "Not for sale outside of the America's"

I can alleviate your concern right now. Every Castrol bottle in North America has that wording on it, including old fashioned GTX conventional. It's a language labeling issue, not an issue about base stocks.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Every Castrol bottle in North America has that wording on it, including old fashioned GTX conventional. It's a language labeling issue, not an issue about base stocks.

Possibly an attempt by Castrol to thwart illegal export to countries outside of North America where oil is significantly more expensive. Alas, I am speculating here and may be way off.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Are they exactly equal, literally? Of course not. As you pointed out, one oil could exceed a particular test by more than the other. But is that difference meaningful?

Also, think of it from an oil manufacturer's perspective. Would a manufacturer spend a ton more money to offer a lubricant that significantly exceeds the required tests? Probably not, because the actual results of these tests are not published. It's a pass/fail, so the oil mfg will design the oil as cheaply as possible just to pass the test. And that's because the customer will not pay extra for your product if it passes just like the other products on the shelf..

If we had access to each oil's "report card", we could see if M1 0w-40 is really a C student, while Castrol is an A student, for example. Both "passed" all the tests, but which one is really better? Do we have to get Tom Cruise in Mission: Impossible to break in to some labs to get this inside secret info?

smile.gif

Quote:

Possibly an attempt by Castrol to thwart illegal export to countries outside of North America where oil is significantly more expensive. Alas, I am speculating here and may be way off.

That Castrol, we should have deposed that guy years ago....j/k.

Last edited:
The fact that is only meant to be sold in NA probably has to do with the different jug size and labelling. It has the same approvals as European market counterpart so to our knowledge it is the same.
As for group III/IV nonsense, Ferrari is using group III oil in their equipment and they are doing well.

I tookalook and out bottles have French for the 2nd language
and the same warning "Not for sale outside of the Americas"

But that warning is on all of their consumer packaged engine oils.
Blended in Canada with domestic and imported components.

Castrol Canada Inc
Toronto, Canada

www.castrol.com/ca

Last edited by a moderator:
This post was meant to stir the pot, but seems some folks think that I am comparing base stocks and group this vs that. Completely false. I just find it all funny is all. In Germany though to be called full synthetic it needs to be FULL SYNTHETIC and its funny how people say this is the SAME EXACT OIL that is sold in Europe? Ok which one then? There are various 0w40's that this company has sold over the years in various countries, who knows what it is. Yes, Castrol is probably going to standardize their oil through out the world, makes sense. To say though this is the SAME EXACT OIL though? Would love to know how you know that exactly? I have folks that live in Germany that are in the military and get all confused when they buy oil there so many variations so its nice some people know what is sold all over the world and can identify it so easily. Good for you.

I have said in other posts that as long as your oil of choice meets the spec your car needs that is all that really matters. Just folks on this Board go a little overboard and begin conspiracy theories. I myself was one at one time. Now I buy whatever oil meets the spec that is the cheapest. M1 0w40 was the cheapest but I found this Castrol on sale and picked up 2 bottles.

I dont really care if one does this or one does that, as long as it meets VW 502 is all I really care about. On the VW forums folks have stated that this Castrol oil in particular makes the engine quieter and what not. So I am trying it out. The UOA's that I will do are for my own comparisons. M1 does not seem to hold TBN well in my particular application that is what I will be looking at the most.

In the end though, I change my oil every 5k no matter what, so even if the TBN is better I wont go any further on the oil anyway. Call me wasteful, but its my money and my car.

Jeff

Last edited:
Well, you did bring up the labeling issue, and that argument has been used before to claim that the oil here must be different than the oil in Europe. So, it wouldn't be completely unfair for a reader to think that's what your indicating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back