Where you guy put your magnet on oil filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put an old hard drive magnet on the bottom of the oil pan near the drain.
When I drain the oil I remove the magnet so whatever spooge it collects can drain out with the oil.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
I put an old hard drive magnet on the bottom of the oil pan near the drain.
When I drain the oil I remove the magnet so whatever spooge it collects can drain out with the oil.

The magnet goes inside the pan? Then how do you get it back out? I've thought about sticking cylinder or long-flat shaped magnets bought off the internet that can handle the temperature soaks, but figure once they are shoved in there, they ain't coming out. (Warned my ex-girlfriend about that too, she wouldn't listen....).

You could stick a 200 pound pull magnet on bottom of oil pan to magnetize the pan. You have to de energize the pan when doing oc so particals don't stick when draining. U simply take off magnet and and tap on pan several times to cause vibrations. It will demagnetize then.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Skip the oil filter, just use a mag drain plug. GoldPlug.com or DrainPlugMagnets.com for strong ones that work.

I knew what you meant but "Skip the oil filter magnet" would have been clearer.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
The magnet goes inside the pan?

No, outside. It's ~1/4" thick.

I get it now. One could even find a donut-shaped magnet and use it as a washer on the oil drain plug, or just place it on the pan with the drain plug sticking through it.
If you used one of these for a washer, coat both sides with a small amount of silicon rubber first to make sure you have a good seal.
TX0s4XH.jpg

Last edited:
Then why does the "paste" and shavings end up on my magnetic drain plugs if the filter caught it?

Wether or not the filter would catch it if it got there is only one part of the equation.

Particles being held against a can/ pan/ or plug are particles that the filter doest have to catch reducing filter loading.

For devices without a filter like Honda EU2000's thats all you have in between OCI's. Magnets become very useful.

Even in devices with filter mags and drain plugs both you will still find a build up of paste.

I posted this for the guys on the honda forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko_lwhe8Bgo

true the worthiness of these to an individual application varies. Low load devices like autos that spend most time at low output unsurprisingly show little wear.

pop these babies on high load devices like a motorhome, or a marine big block, and they become notably meaningful when one analyzes their impact

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back