K&n cleanable oil filter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see here...

$262 = one of those filters

I run FL400s filters on my Ford Fusion, and they cost $3.69 at the local Autozone. I run these 7500 miles per OCI.

$262 / $3.69 = 71

71 x 7500 = 532,500 miles.

... This doesn't even take into account the amount of time I'd spend cleaning the reusable filter, and how much I'd spend on the solvent to clean it out, plus the towels used for cleanup.

No thanks, I'll keep using my FL400s filters.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Let's see here...

$262 = one of those filters

I run FL400s filters on my Ford Fusion, and they cost $3.69 at the local Autozone. I run these 7500 miles per OCI.

$262 / $3.69 = 71

71 x 7500 = 532,500 miles.

... This doesn't even take into account the amount of time I'd spend cleaning the reusable filter, and how much I'd spend on the solvent to clean it out, plus the towels used for cleanup.

No thanks, I'll keep using my FL400s filters.

Agreed, Walmart has the Purolator L12222 oil filter for $3.27, with tax that is about $3.50. You could buy a LOT of oil filters for the price of one of those things.

The advantage of cleanable oil filters especially in a racing engine is to inspect the debris caught by the filter.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The advantage of cleanable oil filters especially in a racing engine is to inspect the debris caught by the filter.

That makes sense, but for me I'd have to say hard pass.. Not that I don't like to race!
eek.gif

Racing is different because the stainless steel filters actually flow very high which is something that would stress a normal spin on seeing a high volume oil pump with racing thick grades like 15w50 some use.

Every time I see someone bring up stainless filters it's usually in regards to a passenger car use.

Also remember a racing engine will see new bearings at some point so it's not a concern for the efficiency.

I also think the burst pressure could be beneficial to racers, I just don't see any use for stainless steel spin on filters unless you have a show car and really need that extra good look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back