Last Clarkson Top Gear Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the BBC buried the "lost episodes" mid-summer with little promotion is anyone's guess. Basically the pre-filmed non-studio montages are a 75 min special.

Ep 22x08 is "out there" for those caught unawares.

Clarkson & gang rumored to move to streaming tv.
BBC all but hired a new guy for a new version under same name.

Currently Downloading it, as I've not been able to find a BBC America show date yet...

just read this morning, that they were headed to ITV, and the same time slot. Sunday night, 8pm GMT(3pm EST), opposite the revamped version with Chris Moyles.

so, since BBC America advertises themselves as "the best of British" and do air shows from ITV, Ch4, etc.. do you think the new Clarkson, Hammond, and May show(title TBD) will see airtime on BBCA? along with the new topgear? seeing as how they currently fill large blocks of airtime with the adventures of The Orangutan, Hamster, and Capt.Slow?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
BBC all but hired a new guy for a new version under same name.

He was hired a few weeks ago. They are auditioning for the 2 co-presenters.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Currently Downloading it, as I've not been able to find a BBC America show date yet...

just read this morning, that they were headed to ITV, and the same time slot. Sunday night, 8pm GMT(3pm EST), opposite the revamped version with Chris Moyles.

so, since BBC America advertises themselves as "the best of British" and do air shows from ITV, Ch4, etc.. do you think the new Clarkson, Hammond, and May show(title TBD) will see airtime on BBCA? along with the new topgear? seeing as how they currently fill large blocks of airtime with the adventures of The Orangutan, Hamster, and Capt.Slow?

If it is on ITV there is a good chance it will be on a Discovery channel of some sort. ITV covered the Isle of Man TT and that coverage was on Velocity. They also carried Fifth Gear when that show as airing.

I wonder if this is a blessing in disguise. Rather than burning out and getting boring the show just... stops. I'd think there was more material to be had, but the show has had a good run.

I've noticed many British shows have but a few episodes per season, and only a few seasons. Best foot forward at all times, perhaps.

Originally Posted By: supton
I wonder if this is a blessing in disguise. Rather than burning out and getting boring the show just... stops. I'd think there was more material to be had, but the show has had a good run.

I've noticed many British shows have but a few episodes per season, and only a few seasons. Best foot forward at all times, perhaps.

Good points! I wonder if it is a good idea for Clarkson, Hammond, and May to return to the spotlight so soon after the debacle. I think it would have been better to take a year or two off and then return. It would allow views to regain a new appreciation for them.

If I was them, I'd go to a subscription based and non advertising outlet so that they can be as politically incorrect as they want to be.

The last episode just seemed to be without any heart in it. To be frank, I no longer feel sorry that the show has ended. At least as far as the S22 E8 is concerned aka the one with decrepit older sports cars and 4x4 ones.

I am saying in my British accents, "Good riddance!"

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The last episode just seemed to be without any heart in it. To be frank, I no longer feel sorry that the show has ended. At least as far as the S22 E8 is concerned aka the one with decrepit older sports cars and 4x4 ones.

I am saying in my British accents, "Good riddance!"

perhaps this goes to show, it's the post production polish that made the previous episodes appeal to you.

They don't just film and put together the segments, but then go back and write jokes, write jokes, write jokes, edit,edit,edit, record voiceovers; write the script and jokes for the studio presentation, and so on and so forth.

End of an era, it was a good ride. Hopefully they do find something to do together. Honestly, there was discussion of retiring after a few more seasons going about the internets. But practically forcing it was the problem.

Does Clarkson address the situation on the last show? In his own way, I guess he could say he's only human.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Does Clarkson address the situation on the last show? In his own way, I guess he could say he's only human.

No. It is only Hammond, May, and a fake elephant in the room.

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G

ok! don't know why THAT didn't sink in while i was watching it. i couldn't figure why they had the elephant statue there...sometimes i am very slow to catch things...

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G

ok! don't know why THAT didn't sink in while i was watching it. i couldn't figure why they had the elephant statue there...sometimes i am very slow to catch things...

Funny! I didn't watch the show. Very funny way to handle it.

Read yesterday, that it probably won't be ITV, as they had a non-competition clause in their contracts. Basically they can't host a car show on another UK network before Jan 2017. They can do other types of shows, just not a motoring programme. They could do a series of travel documentaries, which one could argue they already were, as long as the vehicles they drove weren't the centerpiece.

This clause would not apply to a non UK network, or online streaming "network" ie: Netflix, amazon, hulu, etc.

Read yesterday, that it probably won't be ITV, as they had a non-competition clause in their contracts. Basically they can't host a car show on another UK network before Jan 2017. They can do other types of shows, just not a motoring programme. They could do a series of travel documentaries, which one could argue they already were, as long as the vehicles they drove weren't the centerpiece.

This clause would not apply to a non UK network, or online streaming "network" ie: Netflix, amazon, hulu, etc.

Wouldn't that clause only be valid while employed?

oh no,no,no,no.. these types of clauses are regularly put in place, either in the contract itself, or in the termination paperwork, and cover X amount of time after termination of the contract, whether of a natural expiration or early termination.

When Conan O'Brien and NBC separated ways, he had such a clause, which prohibited him from appearing on Television for 8-ish mos.( Deal Reached in Jan '10, not allowed on TV until Sept '10)
so during that time, he went on tour, did live shows around the country, on his Legally Prohibited from Being Funny on Television Tour , which was documented in the film "Conan O'Brien Can't Stop"

More recently, when Brian Williams was let go by NBC, he was not allowed to appear on any other Network for 6mos. Which upset David Letterman, who wanted to have Brian on his show before he(Letterman) retired, to tell his side of the story...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back