Can a Mann Cartridge Filter Go 10K Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a Mann cartridge filter (HU 719/6 X ) on my son's 07 Jetta about nine months ago. The OCI on the Jetta is 10K and the owners manual makes no mention of changing the filter between oil changes.

I read somewhere that I should change the filter at six months or half way through the OCI. (I think I may have read that on the Amsoil site.)

He puts less than 10K miles on his car a year so I'm basically doing a yearly oil change for him. His next change is due in three months.

Do you guys think I can safely skip the filter change and just wait until the 10K OCI is up? Will a cartridge filter last that long?

Originally Posted By: Tony_Mack
Do you guys think I can safely skip the filter change and just wait until the 10K OCI is up? Will a cartridge filter last that long?

Yes, easily. I've taken these Mann filters to 10k miles on my 530i before without any issues. They are very well made. The one below is a Mahle/Knecht alternative, but the Mann ones looked just as composed coming out after 10K...

Mahle_oil_filter_10K_miles.jpg

You could wait until the 10,000 mile mark to change the filter and no harm would result, but it seems like a waste of time to visit the engine again just to change the filter. Time is money, why not just change them both at the same time so you don't have to get your tools out a second time?

How much money does this save you in materials? Working on the car again is like working for $2/hr?

It won't be a problem. I've run that filter and similar filters in my VWs for years at 10K intervals, they all look fine coming out.

robert

Thanks everyone! I just wanted to be able to change the oil and filter at the same time. Now I know I can go the entire 10K.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
It can go at least as long as the OEM specified OCI interval.

This.

I've gone as long as 18k miles/30k km for a one year OCI on a Mann cartridge filter in my Golf and it looked perfect, albeit darker, when it came out. No issues doing it again whatsoever.

No problem at all.

The factory OCI is 10k; and the filter specified is designed to handle that interval.

In my e39 a Mann was taken to over 17k mi coming out looking like it was ready for many more miles.

They have been doing that in Mercedes for nearly 20 years so unless its a very poorly designed Mann filter why not?

Remember Europeans run their oil a lot longer than we do.

Last edited:
Yes, if your engine is clean. Here is a pic of the MC cartridge off from my Fusion with 10K OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back