Cheapest New Car For Comfort?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Turbos and cams and flywheels are routine maintenance? Where was that in the manual? I must have missed that page. Had I known that they needed to be replaced every 200k I would not complain. But it would have been nice to see that in the schedule.

Yes dual mass flywheels are routine maintenance. Turbo is expected to go at 300k too. And yes, on Toyota diesels they are regular maintenance just like on a VW. Camshaft problem is VW specific I agree. Google D4D HG problems, plenty of read in English.

Edit:,almost forgot, actually Toyota diesel were so great that they went to the BMW,and now they are outsourcing their 1.6/ 2.0 D4D.

Last edited:
Turbos and cams and flywheels are routine maintenance? Where was that in the manual? I must have missed that page. Had I known that they needed to be replaced every 200k I would not complain. But it would have been nice to see that in the schedule.

Yep, thing is that due to the specifics of the U.S. market (as long as cup holder is big, everything is OK) we do not get a lot of complex engines that are regular around the world in Toyota, Honda etc. Japanese diesels have similar issues in Europe. Toyota 1.4 D4D was the most sensitive diesel engine 5-6 years ago.
One thing is when you put 3.5 V6 with technology that dates 25 years ago, another thing is when you have state of the art engine under the hood. Paper can take anything on. So a lot of manufacturers boast how their cars have same or more HP then let's say BMW (they forgot to mention torque, but for average driver that is already too much), they claim that their MPG is similar or even better (hardly in real world, let's remember Hyundai debacle), but they forget to mention that gear ratios are so long that kills any performance in the car.
In the end, I saw many VW's in Europe hitting 300-400K, but mentality of drivers is also different. Bottom line: they do not consider a car to be an appliance!

Bah. I am going from "bending" the limit in my VW to toeing the line in my Toyotas. And I do not care. I need point a to point b. Boring car is easier to drive slower. And milk the mpg.

I used VW approved oil (505.01) yet my cam was worn at 314kmiles. And despite 10k OCI (VW specified) I still blew a turbo at 255k. And I'm not sure what would have prevented the flywheel from dying at 249k. Loved the car, but it was still well worn at 300k. Just like anything else. But with expensive repairs along the way.

Flywheel is never going to be problem in Camry 2.5 or 3.5. However, it is a problem in Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4-D and 2.2 D4-D. Flywheel is not a problem in Passat 2.5 or 1.8TSI, nor it will be.
Camshaft issues are VW prone mostly due to use of 5W30 505.01 oils (5W40 does much better) and 10K OCI that is for NA market IMO way too long. VW screwed up there trying to compete with Toyota or Honda that offer engines with technology that my Opel had in 1988. It cannot work. They still have same issue, they recommend 10K OCI in let;s say 2.0TSI, but due to the nature of the engine it "kills" the oil after 5-6K, especially that Castrol they use. Of course, in Camry 3.5 V6 you can use olive oil, but then, it is just Camry.

I thought VW used a DMF across the board? Even in the DSG.

Either way, I had my fun. I ran over 300kmiles on my Jetta. I liked the car, but too many cheaper cars can go that distance too. With New England road salt and road "sand" ten years is a long time, and thus I do not need something to go past 300k anymore.

Driving is fun but I have cheaper hobbies now.

Actually, the base model Accord or Camry are quite roomy, and probably the cheapest when "cost per mile" is considered. Both will have excellent resale. And, both get good MPG, with the nod going to the Honda. And, both can be found well discounted if you look around.

While I like driving the Ford Fusion better than either, I find the seats quite small. They are comfortable, but they are small. On long trips, it gets noticed. On "truedelta.com" the Accord and Camry are significantly more reliable.

The Accord will average around 30MPG with the 4 cylinder auto or manual.

The Camry will average around 27MPG with the 4 cylinder auto.

Last edited:
I thought VW used a DMF across the board? Even in the DSG.

Either way, I had my fun. I ran over 300kmiles on my Jetta. I liked the car, but too many cheaper cars can go that distance too. With New England road salt and road "sand" ten years is a long time, and thus I do not need something to go past 300k anymore.

Driving is fun but I have cheaper hobbies now.

That's the one complaint I have in my MKV Jetta, the DMF setup. If it didn't have such low miles on it I'd do the VR6 flywheel/clutch swap. It's about a $500+ setup plus installation, but I think it would be worth it.

I did a South Bend stage two SMF, and it was a great mod. Clutch was lighter and smoother. Loved it.

I later saw something about how increased vibrations might take out the trans input bearing. Not sure if true or not. I did have a strange bearing sound that I never figured out--but I think that predated the smf swap.

Took a look at the Smart Car. It was surprisingly large once you get inside. Might wait for the 2016 version. Other than that, the Accord looks like a good deal. Might get one coming off a lease if I can buy from a broker.

I'm not a Ford guy but the newer Fusion is a really nice looking car and is roomy, comfortable and affordable. The mpg is respectable and it's a very safe car.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Toyota Avalon's are pretty comfortable.

Or an used LS Lexus.

My wife's avalon is pretty comfortable, and with her soft foot gets a solid 30MPG on the highway. Loaded it was between $35-$40K or so.

The Camry based ES Lexus was among the quietest cars you could buy a few years ago. They seem to be cheap too, for a used Lexus. Seems like a good common platform to do a lot of miles in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back