I'm back, but not with my Mitsubishi Eclipse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Isn't that generation of Thunderbird on its own platform?
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Yes: the MN12. IIRC, the Lincoln MkVIII used a version of it.

Yes, the 1989-1997 T-Bird used the ford MN12 platform, which was modified to become the FN10 for the Mark VIII, not sure what was changed to signal a different platform name, but it is mostly the same.

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
You can install a PI intake onto a NPI motor, and it works properly.
This.

You just need the right combination of gaskets and RTV.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
You can install a PI intake onto a NPI motor, and it works properly.
This.

You just need the right combination of gaskets and RTV.

Yup, for 400 bucks I can get a brand new Ford part already modified to work. The crossover for the thunderbird is different than other uses, along with a different setup for the heater core. I also have brand new headlights for it at home. I plan to keep it mostly stock, the intake swap is mostly for reliability and it doesn't cost much more than just the Dorman intake.

I picked up the car about a week ago.

So Far what has been replaced:

New Tires (450 Bucks for Dunlop Signature II 215/70/R15 T Rated) Due to the Michelin Rainmaster MX4 tires being from 2002

New Air Filter: Gasket was ripped on the old fram one, dropped another fram in.

New Fuel Filter: 60 bucks, i have no space to do it at my current home, plus it was freezing cold out. Fixed the misfire issue i was having.

New Fuel Line: Found when the fuel filter was being replaced, the line from tank to the filter was leaking enough to drip but not spray. Cost was 214 with the 60 buck filter replacement.

Headlights: not yet installed, but 115 shipped for Eagle Eyes ones made in taiwan.

Oil: Pennzoil 5W30 with a motorcraft Fl820S

Suspension and chassis are in great shape, no rot and really tight shocks/struts/coils. No signs of excessive wear.

48tERUC.jpg

ZclzmXk.jpg

CPoTAwf.jpg

4V9UqXT.jpg

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Leave the car as is and just drive it.

I am. Just have to get caught up on the maintence of the car. I want this thing to last for a long time.

Only "alteration" i may do is switch over to the 16 inch alloy wheels that were optional so i can get a better selection of tires that will match the performance of the v8 in it.

Coil pack was bad, and one oxygen sensor had a busted wire. mechanic replaced both left bank sensors and i put on the new coil pack, and new plug wires. 310 bucks for the labor on the plugs and sensors. Not too bad. The coil pack is a duralast, anyone got any complaints about theirs? I got what was available and had a lifetime warranty. I hooked up my scan gauge that came in the mail and it is getting an average on there of 23.8 mpg.

Nice car...very 'traditional' looking in an era of small econo boxes and cab-forward mini-utes...

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Nice car...very 'traditional' looking in an era of small econo boxes and cab-forward mini-utes...

And then i show them what a 1996 can do. Kick off the overdrive, drop the throttle hard, and take off, leaving them in my dust, going around corners better than some modern cars. Gotta love having a car that may have a 1989 design from the firewall back, but with up do date coilovers up front with progressive springs all around from the factory, and multi link rear. That's why i picked it over the mustang, i wanted something that represented where ford was going and not where it came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back