Found my "2nd" car....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has NHTSA/IIHS published their safety test results yet?

Personally, I think something like the Volt would be more practical, but at a much different price point, obviously.

But this Elio has a chance of being a lot more fun to toss around.

Been around for a while.
A pillar > C pillar Looks like it's cobbled from a junker civic coupe with the middle 1/3 width excised.
Cant sell this car for under $9500 and stay in business.

Buy a used grey-market Smart Turbo diesel from Canada instead.

Remember the Corbin?

Last edited:
The Elio has passed all the tests on the computer simulator when does a good job of simulating real life.

If you research the Elio you'll find the engineering is first class. This is one very serious project. Their development partners and suppliers read like a who's who in the industry.

It's 90% American sourced and will be manufactured in America.

They have a quarter of a billion dollars in orders and plan to go into production in 2016.

There is also an interesting payment plan. They will give you a special credit car. When you gas up you are charged 3 times the charge card amount and that's your payment. You make no other payments. So, in a month if you purchase $25 in gas your payment for that month is $75. This makes owning the Elio very close to free. All you have to do is adjust to a new kind of vehicle.

Quote:
The Elio has passed all the tests on the computer simulator when does a good job of simulating real life.

It still won't be pretty when this 1250 lbs Elio has a head-on collision with a 4,000 lb suv or a truck.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
They have a quarter of a billion dollars in orders and plan to go into production in 2016.

"Plan" being the operative word here. Their previous plan to have it out in 2015 fell through due to lack of funding. But it's not easy to bring a brand new vehicle/make to the market. I hope they're successful.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:

It still won't be pretty when this 1250 lbs Elio has a head-on collision with a 4,000 lb suv or a truck.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

"Plan" being the operative word here. Their previous plan to have it out in 2015 fell through due to lack of funding. But it's not easy to bring a brand new vehicle/make to the market. I hope they're successful.

It's safer than a motorcycle no doubt yet many ride those to save gas.

I've had my hundred in for about a year now. If it comes out, I'll buy it. I figure, I spent $100 on far less, why not.

They are having a hard time moving forward to production. Pretty sure they were planned for production as far back as 2012, but it keeps getting delayed and probably for the better, but even the strongest supporters are starting to get frustrated.

They are just putting out their 5th prototype (P5) which should be a solid resemblance of production. This will also be the first proto with their own engine.

Currently I drive 110 miles round trip for work. Fortunately, my drive is funded by my employer at the time, but that won't be around forever. It would actually be a promotion to lose the company car (no more field work), however when I'm paying for that 110 miles myself, it will be pretty nice to have a 70+ MPG vehicle that I can drive year round.

I guess it won't be officially tested since it is classified as a motorcycle.

I pity the owners in a handful of states that will require them to drive one with a helmet on their head.
smile.gif

I pity the owners in a handful of states that will require them to drive one with a helmet on their head.
smile.gif

One of their biggest items is lobbying states to create a defined "Autocycle" that would prevent it from being a motorcycle to limit the need to wear a helmet in the enclosed cockpit. IIRC, most states are on board with defining Autocycle or at least providing a helmet exemption for kind of vehicle.

smile.gif

I thought I heard that those who ride 3 wheeled motorcycles don't need to wear a helmet?

I could be wrong though

I'd like to see a video of this thing on a hwy during heavy crosswinds. I'm sure you'd need to buy a new pair of pants after driving this thing in a windstorm.

Neat idea, only time will tell if this concept makes it to market and stays on the market.

With the safety cage around the occupants the weight of the helmet would be more of a danger than a help.

They are working out the details to do the crash testing right now even though it's not required.

They are now funded and own the manufacturing plant. This is one serious effort and it's looking good for production.

Originally Posted By: JC1
I'd like to see a video of this thing on a hwy during heavy crosswinds. I'm sure you'd need to buy a new pair of pants after driving this thing in a windstorm.

Neat idea, only time will tell if this concept makes it to market and stays on the market.
Have you seen the tires on this thing? They're no wimpy tires, it would probably stick to the ground just fine in the wind.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Have you seen the tires on this thing? They're no wimpy tires, it would probably stick to the ground just fine in the wind.

It's not as much about tires. He's not saying that Elio will lose traction and get blown away. But whenever you have a fairly large side profile and low weight, you are bound to feel those cross winds in your steering that will have to be counteracted. The body wants to move to the side while the tires do not, and that causes all sorts of tensions. Same when passing large semis.

Can it be controlled? Sure. Is it unpleasant? Sure.

With that said, I'd expect the Elio to handle cross winds better than a typical 500 lbs motorcycle as it is about 3 times heavier and has a lower center of gravity, and it is more aerodynamic.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Um no.

Just ride a bike, at least you look cool.

Sure, I'll ride my bike 110 miles per day.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Um no.

crazy2.gif

While it's 20F outside and snow and ice on the ground.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Um no.

crazy2.gif

While it's 20F outside and snow and ice on the ground.
smile.gif

Sounds like a plan to me.

I'm all in for $100...I would've moved my name up on the waiting list by plopping down $1000, but they keep pushing back the production start date which has me a bit leery about whether or not this project will ever take off...I do think Elio has all their ducks in a row as the vehicle seems like a very good design, but this gov loan is taking forever to secure...I have no idea why they're dragging their feet on the loan decision, other than it's just because it's a gov agency...anything gov is slow as molasses in Jan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back