1999 Ford Contour Clicking Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your engine has solid lifters. Have you ever had them adjusted?

How do you adjust them?

I think that engine has bucket tappets and they are adjusted with shims. You need to take it to a good shop and get it done.

Most people never get the valves adjusted on these things so all high mileage ones make a lot of racket.

Which brand oil do you suggest? Mobil1 synthetic, non-synthetic, Valvoline, Motorcraft, ect?

Thanks

Oil is irrelevant with solid lifters that are making noise. The noise is mechanical and changing oil weights or brands won't fix it. You need to get the valves adjusted then worry about what oil to use.

I have no idea who to trust to do this? And if I can even afford this.

Mechanics adjust valve clearance to spec for a living. Hondas and Toyotas have the same setup- we're not talking rocket science here.

Quote:

Make sure you are using the Motorcraft 820 oil filter with the silicon ADBV. I would also try 5W-20 with a bottle of STP Blue.

Actually, it's the FL-2005 that my car calls for.

So, I will resort to Motorcraft 5W30 Synthetic Blend.

Also, you suggested STP Blue? But, I also saw STP Red, which states it's for 4 cylinders?

Those shim/buckets on the Zetec engines are the worst/hardest to adjust. VERY time consuming and involved.
But checking them is not hard at all - a little loose won't hurt, too tight is a problem.
At least you will know what's up.

I went to Autozone to get Motorcraft 5W30 Synthetic Blend. The guy told me that since I am already using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil that I can't swith back to conventional or synthetic blend oils because it would cause the oil to gelify and fry the engine.

Is this true?

Myro - Nonsense! Parts people usually honestly try and help with advice, but it is often flawed, at your expense.
Motorcraft is excellent oil, BTW.

Can the fuel injectors cause bad ticking then go away after warms up? On start up I decided to try something and push down on the injector and the noise increased.

Last edited:
Wow - talk about thread resurrection!!!

Yes, fuel injectors can tick/make noise, but it shouldn't go away after warm up, it is there the whole time they are working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back