Picked up a 2015 Silverado with the Ecotec V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drove 60+ round trip up north yesterday to get a new puppy (argh!) and with a mix of 75mph highway and plenty of winding country roads at 55-60mph with several stop signs I averaged 22.8 MPG. Not stunning, but I'm sure it's skewed due to all the idiot slow-poke drivers and several stop signs killing any sort of pace I had established.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing

Single belt that goes to the left is for A/C and single right belt is for a vacuum pump (goes to brake booster). No hydraulic power steering pump...electric power steering standard on all models.

Interesting. Why a vacuum pump on a gas engine? I'm sure it takes less power to spin than a power steering pump but jeeze.. Removing one engine driven pump, only to replace it with another.

dwc- Your ~23mpg is excellent for a truck IMO.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: gonefishing

Single belt that goes to the left is for A/C and single right belt is for a vacuum pump (goes to brake booster). No hydraulic power steering pump...electric power steering standard on all models.

Interesting. Why a vacuum pump on a gas engine? I'm sure it takes less power to spin than a power steering pump but jeeze.. Removing one engine driven pump, only to replace it with another.

dwc- Your ~23mpg is excellent for a truck IMO.

Vacuum for the power brakes, needed due to AFM which drastically changes the throttle programming (due to cylinders shutting down) cutting engine vacuum...

Originally Posted By: Uregina09
Don't worry about Pop. My guess is he's disappointed with how his life turned out - childless, boring, etc and he takes it out anonymously here like the little man he is. He can't articulate why leasing is so bad, yet he keeps repeating the same old drivel. He gets his jollies by being snarky like an immature teenager would - just ignore him.

How do you know he has no children ?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Vacuum for the power brakes, needed due to AFM which drastically changes the throttle programming (due to cylinders shutting down) cutting engine vacuum...

That makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
That sure is a nice pickup.

I also admire the generosity of folks who choose to make lease payments. Not only does it help stimulate the economy, but it helps put money in the pockets of the staff at the dealership and the lessor. There aren't a lot of folks who are that generous, knowing they can't afford it, but still choose to reach out and help others like that. Once you're done renting you'll help stimulate the secondary market by turning it in and walking away so the folks at the dealership profit once again and someone else gets a great deal on a slightly used vehicle.

Not to mention all the accolades and jealous looks from people who think you actually own it.

Was there a big sale on Snark this week at the grocery and you wish to share your excess with us?

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id love to drop one in my S10 and run it on E85...
where do you plan on sourcing an EcoTec3 from? How much do YOU think they will cost? LOL

What, long blocks won't be available at some point in the future? Wrecked trucks? You ask it as if nobody has ever been able to source an engine besides the one that came in their vehicle from the factory...

Nice truck OP. I like this generation of Silverado.

Nothing wrong with leasing a pickup, but the drop in liner is a must on a lease. No dents, which you can get with a spray in.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
What happened in this thread?

Nice truck.

Pickup purchase or lease threads almost always get derailed with some kind of ridiculous snobbery. Happens every time.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Id love to drop one in my S10 and run it on E85...
where do you plan on sourcing an EcoTec3 from? How much do YOU think they will cost? LOL

What, long blocks won't be available at some point in the future? Wrecked trucks? You ask it as if nobody has ever been able to source an engine besides the one that came in their vehicle from the factory...

I suspect the best way is to get a wrecked truck. But I don't know how much the ecu has to talk to the guage cluster, that will be key. For some reason i suspect there will be little aftermarket support for the 4.3 swaps. I mean, but for a little bit more you could buy a 5.3 to swap (theoretically) thus i would guess little support for the 4.3.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Don't worry about Pop. My guess is he's disappointed with how his life turned out - childless, boring, etc and he takes it out anonymously here like the little man he is. He can't articulate why leasing is so bad, yet he keeps repeating the same old drivel. He gets his jollies by being snarky like an immature teenager would - just ignore him.

I think that is a bit of a low blow. I do not know if pop is childless, but I do recall him mentioning foster kids, If so, then he seems of a higher caliber than most--I mean, it is hard enough raising your own flesh and blood. Raising someone else's... That strikes me as someone capable of being rather compassionate.

Regardless, lease threads just derail.

Originally Posted By: supton

I think that is a bit of a low blow. I do not know if pop is childless, but I do recall him mentioning foster kids, If so, then he seems of a higher caliber than most--I mean, it is hard enough raising your own flesh and blood. Raising someone else's... That strikes me as someone capable of being rather compassionate.

Yeah, would have to agree there. Personally, unless I needed a truck for work, I simply can't see myself spending 40k + on a truck. A beater truck on lease would be a much better option in my case.

I can't be one to judge (though many here do) about how they get their car, as everyone has different reasons for doing so.

To the OP: Nice looking truck there!

I don't know anything about Pickup Truck. I didn't know that a Pickup Truck can be so expensive, $40k is in territory of near luxury cars and SUV's like Acura MDX and Honda Pilot ?

Do you need to transport a lot of things or big and heavy items so you need a pickup truck ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton

Lease threads get derailed because owners of the same vehicles don't want somebody driving a truck like theirs for $300.00 a month lease while they are buying it for $500.00/month. Of course the "buyers" will have a vehicle at the end of the loan term while someone who leases won't. But this point seems to escape those who hate the notion of a lease. They would rather have those who lease buy a 5 year old Civic. To quote-"A vehicle they really can afford". Yep-nonsense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I don't know anything about Pickup Truck. I didn't know that a Pickup Truck can be so expensive, $40k is in territory of near luxury cars and SUV's like Acura MDX and Honda Pilot ?

Do you need to transport a lot of things or big and heavy items so you need a pickup truck ?
Pickups resale values are always way better than pretty much any car or suv.

Last edited:
Yeah, when I was looking in '13 I could have gotten mine new for $32k. Too rich for my blood so I did CPO, as I planned for 10yr ownership. I think Tundras can still be had at $32k or so, but as a stripper model.

people get all worked up when other people spend money in a way they do not approve. enjoy living with their life decision because your opinion is too little, too late. please get worked up about it and express it publicly, i enjoy it when people out themselves as morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back